1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 21, 2016.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

North Woods -- highly recommend. Sometimes beautiful, sometimes violent, always interesting. The main character is a cabin founded in the early colonial days of new england, then moving chapter by chapter going through what happens at the same site. Very cool idea, executed with amazing writerly skill.

[​IMG]

gifford1967 and deb4rockets like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

"The Third Reich in Power" by Richard J. Evans

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Riveting story. I couldn't put this book down. Kristen Hannah never disappoints with her storytelling.

Screenshot_20240211-103452.png

The Great Alone, a desperate family seeks a new beginning in the near-isolated wilderness of Alaska only to find that their unpredictable environment is less threatening than the erratic behavior found in human nature.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What's your prefer method of reading books? hardcopy, kindle, or phone?

5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Kindle

cheke64 likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

That sounds great.

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Honestly, all her books I've read are so far. One was set in WW2, one during the Vietnam War, and the other during the Dust Bowl. They aren't peaches and roses though, but the stories all grip the emotions.

#427 deb4rockets, Feb 11, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I just finished Robert Dugoni's latest thriller, A Killing on the Hill. He's such a superb storyteller, regardless of the genre he writes about. This one has a mix of suspense, humor, romance, and interesting characters that really make the story fun to read. I've read most of his books, from spy thrillers to legal and crime thrillers, to stand alone novels, and enjoyed this book as well.

This one is a historical legal thriller revolving around a murder in a club only a privileged few could afford during the Great Depression. Profanity Hill was an underworld magnet for vice crimes, and the accused murderer a mobster and club owner claiming self-defense for murdering a former prizefighter.

The story's told through the eyes of a small-time beat, a hungry and ambitious young reporter. A tip led him to be the first reporter at the scene of the crime. In a city steeped in Old West debauchery, Shoe's first homicide has everyone talking, and quickly becomes the Trial of the Century in Seattle.
    Screenshot_20240413-123625.png

9. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hard copy

11. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Ottomaton and MadMax like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I've read a couple of Dostoevsky's, Peter Attia, and a Carl Sagen this year, I just googled "good books" and bought them. I don't know what I'm searching for but I'll let y'all know when I find it.

13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I just read The Midwife of Auschwitz by
    Anna Stuart. I've read a few books on the holocaust, and this one was gripping. It was about all the pregnant women and over 3,000 babies delivered by a midwife in the concentration camps of Auschwitz. It's such a horrific story, but needs to be heard. It's a story of survival of the fittest to put it lightly.

Kevooooo likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Mumbo Jumbo - Ismeal Reed
    [​IMG]

Rocket River

15. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I bought the St Thomas Aquinas Summa Theologica set last night. I don’t know why. Was feeling like a bad catholic, I guess.