1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the "future considerations" from Dallas/NYK???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Aug 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm sure it's been posted elsewhere if there was any information on this, but I just thought we needed a separate thread for idiots like me who can't find ANY info on the subject.

If anyone knows, please help me out here! :eek:

2. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Future considerations are usually second round picks or transfered rights of a player not on the transferring teams roster.

3. SixthMan

SixthMan Member

Tell me if this makes sense : "future considerations" still means either how many games rockets win or how many games rice plays. I know this is illegal, but what is preventing the rocks/knicks/mavs in doing it this way. This is just between the three teams and the league wouldn't know.

I'm thinking kyle hill was worth a second round pick, so mavs will give that as a future consideration. Now, the knicks would not want to give the rocks a first round pick if rice plays 76 games. The rocks would not want a second round pick if rice plays 33 games. So, I'm guessing that the ny future consideration will be resolved by when 3/4 of the upcoming season finishes. I wouldn't doubt that a lot of teams that do this "future consideration" deal in this manner behind the league's back.

4. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

SixthMan,

It's illegal to base the consideration on how many games Rice plays, but I think I read somewhere on the frontpage that it is OK to base it on how many games the Rox win. Headline:

RICE DEAL SHOULD GET DONE TODAY
    by Mitch Lawrence

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think gettinbranded is probably right.

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

"They are just future considerations, that's what they are," Dawson said. "The main thing is Glen Rice is a Rocket. That's what we're here to talk about."

Guess we shouldn't get to excited about the "future considerations"

7. rocket red

rocket red Member

The future consideration's got to be better than Kyle Hill. He's got a basketball contract to play in Europe. He would be a long shot to even make the Rockets. I'm hoping that its at least a couple of second round picks.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone is making this out to be the end of the world. As far as I can tell, it's actually a positive. If he signed here, he'd probably sit on the end of the bench or IR, not get much game time, and therefore not develop. Either that, or he'd sign with the Rockets, go to camp, get cut, and go to Europe and spend a couple of years developing into a player. The Rockets, however, would not hold his rights and he'd be free to sign with anyone.

By signing in Europe, he gets to adjust to a level of competition that is higer than that which he faced at his small college. If he develops and adjujsts, the Rockets can get him next year or the year after. I believe that the rule states that if you tender a minimmum offer, you retain the rights to players that play outside the US for 1 year after the end of their time in Europe. It's about the closest thing to a farm system in the NBA.

9. ROCKET!!!

ROCKET!!! Member

10. Cat5

Cat5 Member

From The Dallas Morning News

==============================================
    08/18/2001
    By JODIE VALADE / The Dallas Morning News

"The Mavericks shipped backup point guard Howard Eisley to the New York Knicks on Friday, and at the same time moved closer to landing his replacement.

That might sound like old news, considering the Mavericks actually announced the Eisley part of a three-way trade a week ago. But it took that long for the trade to be finalized -- and it took a little of that well-known Mark Cuban cash thrown in, along with at least one Knicks draft pick -- for the Houston Rockets to agree to accept Glen Rice despite concerns about Rice's injured foot.

The completion of the trade officially secures a $3.2 million trade exception for the Mavericks, the prize they most sought in the deal that also landed Muggsy Bogues in Dallas. Also as part of the deal, Rice went to Houston in exchange for Shandon Anderson.

All that means Miami free agent Tim Hardaway could be headed to Dallas by early next week. The Mavericks have openly coveted Hardaway since the start of the free-agent signing period, but wanted the trade exception to acquire him.

Though Cuban would not specifiy his cash contribution in the three-way deal, it was well below the $3 million NBA-limit that he has thrown into four other trades in the past year. He said the Mavericks did not include any draft picks in the re-negotiations.

Dallas also gave the rights to second-round draft pick Kyle Hill to the Rockets in the trade, but last week Hill signed with a team in France. Cuban said Hill's defection had no impact on Houston's insistence on further compensation in the trade."

11. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

My question, especially given the last paragraph of that article, is what is the second round pick from Dallas? Is it the rights to Kyle Hill or a future second-rounder? Or both? (okay, so probably not). I know a second-rounder's about as insignificant as you can get with regard to trades (second to cash), but I still want to know. We can a big man like Loren Woods with a second rounder. :D

12. WildArkieBoy

WildArkieBoy Member

Mark Cuban keeps insisting that no draft picks were given from the Mavericks, only $1,000,000 to Mr. Les (Sleezebag) Alexander.

WildArkieBoy