1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Westbrook a scapegoat?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by moonnumack, Sep 14, 2002.

1. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

The Dallas Cowboys, in their typical knee-jerk fashion, cut Bryant westbrook, one of their big FA additions to their already "awesome" (how 'bout overrated) D. Everytime things don't go Jerry Jones's way, he cut somebody to prove apoint that he means business. He did this alst year with Tony Banks, and you can see how well that worked out for him. I wouldn't mind picking up Westbrook on waivers. He was a bonified stud at UT and is still an NFL-caliber corner coming back from some injuries.

2. drapg

drapg Member

as a UT alumnus, it sucks to see Westrbrook bounce around the league as such. He never fully healed from that achilles injury, and thus lost some speed and quickness. I don't understand Jones' motivation (besides trying to show Dallas fans that "he means business" and will straighten the ship... thus sacrificing a player to the NFL gods)...

Why not convert the man to safety? He can still hit fairly well.
    Plus his salary (almost $900,000) will count against the cap, so why not hold onto him?

Anyways, good luck to Bryant in all future endeavors.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

4th in the league last year buddy. How the hell is that overrated?

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if this was especially knee-jerk. I live in Dallas and LONG before the Texans games people here were concerned that Westbrook wasn't performing anywhere close to the level he once performed. I think they gave him a bit longer rope than most players because he is a vet and they wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, at least for one regular season game. But after the Texans game, I guess they had enough.

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah, as far as I know, they got him so that he could make some plays. That's why they were paying him so much. I remember reading an article about the Dallas CB's and they were all doing well, but Westbrook wasn't making plays, which was his purpose. I think they feel as though they got better players that could step in. Like Raven said, I think they were just giving him extra time and finally decided it was too late.

BTW, I don't think safety would be a good idea. We have Roy Williams and Darren Woodson there, plus some other guys who could possibly step in and do a better job.

I DO think it was rather stupid to wait this long AND then cut him, especially with his salary. But I don't know much about him, so I don't know how good he could have been. JMO.

6. drapg

drapg Member

didn't the Cowboys cut Jason Bell and Pat Dennis too (both CBs)?

who's left? How many CB's they got up in Big D?

I still think converting him to a S would be better than eating his salary. If you HAVE to pay a guy regardless, you might as well keep him around. No way Westbrook is a negative lockerroom presence.

It just looks like Jerry Jones wanted a scapegoat for the embarassing loss on national television. Too bad Quincy couldn't get the boot, but he's Jerry's pet project I guess.

7. RC Cola

Yep, in fact I believe Bell is with Houston. We got 5 CB's now. Mario Edwards, Dwayne Goodrich, Duane Hawthorne, Pete Hunter, and Derek Ross. I forgot if any of the guys the cut made the practice squad. I just remember Woody Dantzler.We got 2 backup safeties as well, so we didn't need to force him to play another position. (unless he could play better than the backups. How good is he as a S.)

The only thing I could think of why they cut him is that they are planning to sign someone and need roster space. Either that, or they were giving him a favor so he could sign elsewhere. (though I don't think they should do that!)

I'm not very good at NFL deals, so I don't really know the logic behind this. Maybe Jerry just did another dumb thing because he felt like it.

8. Summer Song Giver

Texans, Astros and Comets. What part of this do you not understand? Put the Cowboy garbage in the hangout where it gets it's deserved 0 replies.

Or better yet go find a board where the rest of you Cowgirls can sit around and stroke your... uh, egos and stay off our board.

[​IMG]

#8 Summer Song Giver, Sep 14, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2002
  9. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

You should know Bell is with the Texans now. He was the one making all the special teams tackles and downing punts inside the 20.

Thanks JJ for cutting that guy. As long as JJ controls the draft, the girls will be horrible.

10. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Derek Ross is a linebacker. They cut him because he didnt do anything all camp, and they were just going to use him as a role player anyway.

11. RC Cola

You may be right because I'm not that familar with the CB's.

But I'm looking at the ESPN roster and there are 53 players, which is up-to-date, and Ross is there as a CB.

12. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Ok now that I think about it he was a linebacker at Ohio State. Mayeb I was thinking of someone out of Iowa state?? Hell, I dont know.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Longhorn Cowboys fans talked so much smack blah blah blah about how Westbrook, a Longhorn, was sooooo much better than Glenn, an Aggie.

Well as a Longhorn Texans fan, I said it before 9/8, and I continue to say it, I'd rather have Glenn over Westbrook on my team anytime.