1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We're playing the greatest team in NBA history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, May 20, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The greatest basketball team ever assembled was the Dream Team I - they only won once.

The greatest club basketball team ever assembled is the Warriors this year and last year. They won last year and they will win this year.

When you go have a 25-3 run through the NBA playoffs including a Chamionship team led by lebron and a 65 win team that trashed the competition all season long - yeah, you have a claim to make.

You keep talking about the team that put them down 3-1. But you ignore that they took the BEST player from that team - perhaps a top 10 player of all time, and put him on another team with a top 25 player of all time and a top 75 player of all time and a top 100 player of all time. You start 4 guys in the top 100 of all time and you have a 5th who a top 200 player of all time. It's absolutely nuts that you are arguing against this Warriors team as being the best ever just because they don't have enough rings.

13 in 33 and justtxyank like this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Steph/Durant/Klay/Greene > Magic/Kareem/Worthy/Nixon

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Okay, but... If you think this year's Warriors have 4 of the best 100 players EVER, then we literally have no foundation for discussion.

In time, one of us will be proven wrong. Until then, I'm hoping the Rockets take Game 4 to make this a 3-game series with us having the HCA.

lw17 likes this.
  4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You want to wait 5, 10, even 20 more years - but you are still going to find that you are wrong. This is already the greatest team of both the regular season and the playoffs of all time - the only question outstanding is how long are they going to dominate...but even if asteroid lands on Oakland tomorrow, the team they rolled out since acquiring Durant would beat ANY team in history in a 7 game series a majority of the time. The numbers prove it, the eye test proves it - there is no argument. Don't give me that weak ass sports radio, talking head, 'hot take' BS where you arbitrarily pick some random reason to disqualify them(essentially moving the goal posts). The Warriors can play any team historic or present in 1000 seven game series and they will come out the winner 95% of the time. All we are hoping for as Rockets fans is that we somehow get that 5% luck.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Folks... Comparing this Golden State team to pretty much any team before 2010 is like comparing an iPhone to a telegraph.

Yeah. The telegraph was great in its day compared to pigeons and smoke signals, but it ain't "let you watch p*rn while taking a dump and texting your side ho" great.

13 in 33 likes this.
  6. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

I would like do more than just scare them...I want some mantle hardware!

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

what?

You'd have to upgrade Magic and Kareem, give them equipment to train and today's nutrients.......they are ready.

There is no comparing them. I agree Durant alone makes any team much greater.

Durant is the key.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

OK then.

Let's give them the benefit of today's training.

Let's also give them the enormous detriment of today's officiating/rulebook.

People don't seem to understand that as time marches on each successive team figures out how to min-max the rules of its sport more effectively.

In 20 years, teams will have offenses that will make today's Warriors look quaint in comparison.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I came back to this..... Durant is the key that they are better. Because he is the best scorer, even better than Kareem.

But given they dominated everything, their GM would just have to make a trade for a scorer.

I understand what you are saying, I hope that time comes.

Make it just 15 years, I am not wanting me to turn grey and old to watch a better GSW team. Mortality.

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

I thought that since the Rockets were the 1st seed & had a higher ELO, that would mean we were obviously the championship favorites!

CF homers get rekt lol.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What does CARM - Elo have to say to this?

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They are basically us but better at every position plus Kevin Durant.

Everyone freaking out. Reality is simple: we can only beat the warriors if we play our game perfectly which means shooting very well and we only let one of their stars go off

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They aren't even that good.

lw17 likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

To be fair, Curry wasn't 100%, thanks to DMo's butt sweat, and Draymond was suspended for one game.

lw17 likes this.
  15. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

There was a clip back in the OKC vs Warriors series when Durant was still on the Thunder. During one of the time outs, Billy Donovan goes to Durant. "This is supposed to be hard" I've heard Pop say this to his players before but Durant had that look like, he wasn't having any of it. Lo and behold, he joined the warriors in the off season. Now I know what was going through Durant's head when Donovan said that line to him. "LIke hell it is!!"

I wish I could find that clip but that's when I felt Durant was lost. He'll never be a great to me in my eyes because he took the easy road

lw17 likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think this is the best team I’ve seen since watching nba as a young kid in the 80s.

But I also think it’s close.

The ability to go after Steph to tire him is now a real and multi year thing... even though he’ll have his games for sure. And KD is still the mentally meh and too iso dependent KD. Klay “disappears” at times in the playoffs.

I’m typically most impressed with draymond since he’s such a game changer defensively. I truly think you could put him on anyone from MJ to Lebron to Magic. But Shaq would still dominate him. Kareem would still dominate him. Hakeem would posts move him to death. Etc.

So I think they’re the best but it’s closer with the great teams of the 90s, 80s, etc than I previously thought.

In either case... they have the top 2 players on the court (even with Steph not being great every game) and probably a third player that is as important as anything in Draymond.

The rockets can win this... if they play perfect and the Warriors don’t. Hope that happens 3 more times of the next 4 games!

#56 JayZ750, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
  17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They're definitely the most talented team ever. That happens when you add the 2nd best player in the league to a core that won 73 games the year prior.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Recency Bias.

lw17 and topfive like this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

My opinion. If you take KD off the Warriors and replace him with Harrison Barnes, the Rockets are leading this series 3-0. KD has buoyed the Warriors scoring through a lot of rough patches in this series.

The Warriors with KD, Curry, Thompson and Green are 4 all star players.

The Rockets with Harden and Paul are two. And the Rockets have to hope Capela and Gordon can raise their game to all star level to level the playing field.

Can the Warriors be beat? Yes. The problem is the "margin for error." With the Rockets at a top-line talent disadvantage they have to play the perfect game to beat the Warriors. Tough to do. The Warriors can have some off games and still win.

At the end of the day, it is about top line talent.

lw17 and Reeko like this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Magic was never the scorer Curry was. The Lakers never had anyone like Durant. Kareem obviously was Kareem but his best years were in Milwaukee and wasn't nearly that player during the showtime years. The Lakers were a great team, but they were not as offensively as good nor as defensively as good as these Warriors.

I think you guys are just nostalgic. In 20 years, people will look back at these Warriors as the greatest NBA team outside the Dream Team ever assembled not measured by accolades or rings, but by pure performance and how good they are.