1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Welp....(Aroldis Chapman info)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Jay713, Dec 7, 2015.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Doesn't say who the Reds got in return, but its a fair bet we could have bested it. Just have to assume at this point that they wanted too much. This couldn't have gone on unnoticed, could it have?

2. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

What I've read is that the Dodgers didn't have to give up Urias, De Leon or Seager. So yeah, we could have topped it. Sounds like there is something to the notion that the Cinci GM doesn't like Luhnow.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Saying unknown prospects in deal aren't Urias, De Leon, or Seager is about as uninformative as saying the Astros didn't offer Correa for Chapman.

4. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Well, it does tell me that Luhnow could have potentially swung the deal without giving up our top 3 or so prospects, meaning we could have likely held on to Bregman, Reed, and one of Daz/Tucker.

5. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Bregman will be traded some day. He is essentially blocked, unless Luhnow has other plans for Altuve. Some GMs want their own guys on the team so who knows.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Our top three prospects aren't on the same level as Seager and Urias. These guys are basically at the spot Correa was last year at this time. De Leon would likely compete for top spot for Astros. Dodgers have a very top heavy system.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Dodgers will buy a ring one of these years

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Or Correa to 3B, Bregman at SS, Altuve 2B

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

This wasn't the "get him or lose this season" move.. we had about 10-15 options, of which we're hoping to get 2, maybe 3. This is just another 1 off the table--not a huge deal. Only matters if we whiff on everything else, too

10. awc713

awc713 Member

I have a feeling the walt jocketty / luhnow friction was too much to overcome.

I don't blame luhnow if walt was being hell-bent on acquiring Reed.

11. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Not really. Especially if Correa ends up moving to 3B.

12. the shark

the shark Member

MLB network is saying the Chapman trade is NOT final as of yet.

13. vince

vince Member

I wonder why Astros don't make an effort to convert some of their heat throwing pitchers to the Bullpen. Vince Velasquez, Feliz, Appel are all capable of throwing heat. Because it seems that the Astros would have to give up a lot for a closer.

14. Jay713

Jay713 Member

Inconsistent control issues. All have heat, but control issues. There is a reason Appel is still in the minors.

15. Nook

Nook Member

They have more trade value as starters. The Astros have more young starting pitchers than spots in the rotation so some will be dealt. You can get a lot more for a promising young pitcher if teams think they can get 180-200 innings a year from him instead of 60-70.

I personally am curious to see just how high the Astros will go in their pursuit of Jose Hernandez. He is everything they want... an elite, young starting pitcher under team control for years and his salary would allow them to make signings.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Disappointing offseason, so far..... no closer, no big DH.

2016 can still be a huge success without any further acquisitions because you never who might step up. It's just a little disappointing in the now.

17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

This trade is probably no longer eminent. I don't think anyone is going to trade for Chapman until all the dust settles and then only if he doesn't have a suspension or issues hanging over him.

18. msn

msn Member

it's way, way early though.

19. Marteen

Marteen Member

It's definitely looking that way....

Source: https://twitter.com/ctrent/status/6740783449761464

It also makes me wonder if Luhnow/Crane take the Bob McNair approach by not pursuing players with off the field problems such as domestic violence. Of course, I'll wait for the whole story for the full details, and they might just trade for him anyway if the opportunity arises.