1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wells finds it tough getting a toehold at RB for Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2104326

Heading into Week 3 of the NFL season, Jonathan Wells has more questions about his role with the Texans than rushing attempts.

"Don't know," Wells said Tuesday when asked where he fits in with the Texans' plans. "I don't know how the rotation is going to go."

In less than a year, Wells has gone from the top of the depth chart at running back to near the bottom in an overcrowded field.

Part of that has to do with the arrival of free-agent Stacey Mack. The rest is largely the result of a turf toe injury that sidelined Wells most of training camp and the first week of the regular season.

A year ago, Wells led the Texans in rushing yardage as a rookie. He entered camp vying for playing time in the backfield after the Texans signed Mack during the offseason, selected Domanick Davis in the draft and took Tony Hollings in the supplemental draft. A fifth back, James Allen was in the mix before retiring in August.

"It's different," Wells said. "I would definitely like to get the ball. That's what I came here to do ... to play running back. It's a team sport, and right now I've been forced to be a special-teams guy. And that's what I'm going to do until I get another opportunity to tote the football. I definitely look forward to getting back in there."

Wells, a fourth-round draft choice from Ohio State, was active for the first time this season in Sunday's 31-10 loss at New Orleans. He played exclusively on special teams and never entered the game in the backfield.

Through the first two games, Mack has seen the bulk of the workload with 40 rushing attempts -- or 69 percent of the Texans' carries. Davis, used primarily as a third-down back, is the only other player with at least 10 carries.

Wells and Hollings have yet to touch the football out of the backfield.

Just because the Texans have strength in numbers doesn't mean everybody will get in the action, coach Dom Capers said.

"As we get ready to play these games, we're not just going to rotate running backs in there to rotate them," Capers said. "We're going to put whoever out there we feel gives us a chance at competing."

Why the sudden plunge for Wells?

Blame the big toe on his left foot.

Wells played with the injury throughout last season when he led the Texans with 529 yards and started the final 11 games.

Wells backed up Allen for the first five games last year and took over the starting job Oct. 20. Despite leading the team in rushing, Wells averaged only 2.7 yards per carry for a rushing offense that ranked next-to-last in the NFL.

Wells took a few months off during the offseason to give his foot a chance to heal. But upon arriving at camp in late July, Wells said it continued to "hurt from day one."

Looking back, Wells admits the turf toe injury hurt his chances for what Capers called one of the most "hotly contested battles" in camp.

"It hurt a lot (not being able to practice)," Wells said. "I felt like I was having my best camp the first two weeks. (The coaching staff) thought I had really progressed from last year to this year. The injury was unfortunate, but it's a part of football.

"I'm just trying to get my foot as healthy as I can. Right now I'm playing special teams, trying to do whatever I can to get on the field and make some plays and help us win. I'm definitely looking forward to getting back out there as a running back. I'm just going to keep working hard and be patient in practice until I get my shot."

That he remains with the team despite not practicing for most of camp, Wells said, is an indication he believes he has a future in Houston.

"It's obvious I'm part of their plans," he said. "I hadn't played in three weeks and I'm still here. Somebody is looking out for me and thinks I can be a good player in this league, and I definitely feel like I will be. If I get the ball, I think I can make plays. Until then, I'll continue to be a team player."

2. azn-baller

azn-baller Member

he sucks..who cares...we dont need him

3. PhiSlammaJamma

He had one chance to shine. That's all he could ask for. Now he's gonna have to wait for a second. Which may or may not come. Everyones wants to play. But you have to perform.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I don't see him coming un unless Mack gets hurt...I would like to see hollings...

What about Davis?

5. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

Davis should be the back on draws. Mack should be used only for up the middle.

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

He feels slighted, and the story gives the impression he was put out with the trash.

But... Give him a break. He was a rookie shoved into the lead role on an expansion team with the crappiest offensive line in the NHL. He never, ever, would have been put into that role on another team, and wouldn't have last year if Allen hadn't been even worse.

This is his sophmore year. Even Ricky Williams was bad his first year, in fact he was bad his first three years. While Wells is no Ricky Williams, he has a good chance at being a backup or a role player on the Texans or another team. He'll get better, and find his niche.

Keep in mind, although we have four running backs on the roster, we have only one fullback, and one veteran Tight End. If we get a few injuries, Wells could find himself in the mix.

7. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

OL in Hockey, eh? What's this all aboot? Skating on thin ice there with the NHL comment, man. :)

I also don't know why everyone jumps on Wells' case. He was the leading rusher for the Texans last year. True, that means jack crap for a team ranked in the bottom five of the league in rushing, but he was a rookie for goodness sakes, taken in the 4th round. He wasn't supposed to come in here and be shoved into that starting role. James Allen was supposed to be a temporary backup until Wells could become a premier back (he came from OSU, reminded some of a poor man's Eddie George). I think he can still be a good player, even in this crowded backfield. Sure, he was given a chance, and he didn't capitalize. I still think keeping him on the team is a good idea. He was, after all, part of the BIG 3 of this team: Gaffney, Carr, and Wells.