1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Welding, Brazing, Soldering, IDK

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blatz, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I'm starting to map out some plans for a project and I don't know what route to take. After shaping 1018 round rods 0.125" diameter I will need to weld (?) them where they intersect. Likely at odd angles and I have no welding experience at all. It will not need to be super strong, it just needs to hold everything together. The joints will not be under any real stress as I believe the metal will hold its shape fairly well.

Does anyone know the best method for a beginner to use? Welding (MIG, TIG, Stick, Fluxcore) Brazing, Soldering, or something else?

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

What are you making?

I only solder but I can tell you that it's not something I would do to hold anything together. JB weld or some other sort of chemical bonding would be stronger, IMO.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You can buy a cheap Chinese fluxcore welder. Wont need any gas and the process is simple. Will have no problem with that material.

If you want to splurge you can get the cheapest Hobart or even the cheapest Lincoln at Home depot. Will even come with a hood

Blatz likes this.