1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Welcome Cameron Oliver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by j@amc, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep but size still matter unless you're a Ben Wallace or a Chuck Hayes, that's why Trez never saw the floor in the playoffs.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I bet he really would say that.

3. Fantasma Negro

Trez didn't see the floor cause Trez couldn't shoot the three. In college Cam shot it at 38%, they'll find him minutes

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Trez didn't see the floor because he was clearly outmatched by 7 footers like Adams, LMA and because he had no on how to play as a center defensively, not because he couldn't shoot, we're talking about the center spot here. Unless Oliver is a terrific defender and/or rim protector (?), i don't see why he would play as a center here, Capela and Nene are centers, maybe Zhou, Oliver is a 4. It's not like if you are a 4 and you play for D'Antoni you're going to play at center regardless because that's how it goes...there's a reason why we were after Bogut during the season.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The reason Harrell never saw the floor is because he couldn't get defensive rebounds or protect the rim enough to play center, and couldn't shoot well enough to play PF. He's a tweener in the worst way, basically unplayable at either position.

Oliver on the hand, is a significantly better defensive rebounder, rim protector and shooter then Harrell... so he can play both 4 and 5 in MDA's system.

hongxingli and Fantasma Negro like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

And that's ok if he actually proves that, but do you expect him to play as a center? I don't think so.

Nanu is 100% a center. Oliver is not.

7. Fantasma Negro

8. jayfree

jayfree Member

That couldn't be the reason. I also noticed that neither Ariza nor Anderson played in the game yesterday. I think they are getting ready to trade them somewhere.

Scola Scoops and roslolian like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

?

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I noticed that too...but then I realized it was the summer league

roslolian, D-rock and Vivi like this.
  11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Gordon either

This poster pays close attention to detail!

jayfree likes this.
  12. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think you are right about Oliver. He definitely has the athleticism and instincts to contribute. He's a strong presence on the defensive end of the court.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well see if Oliver can translate the three point shot to the NBA, there are questions about that.

It will be hard to play him at center against some teams though. At 6-8 he can't be in there against SOME NBA centers. Fortunately a lot of teams don't have guys like that anymore

D-rock likes this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Welcome... to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the D...err E..F...G...(or whatever letter they're calling it now) league

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Chuck Hayes could stop any center and he was on 6'6

HTX Ninja likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Chuck had a extremely strong lower body / base though.

Looking at Oliver, he's built very similar to Dwigth Howard, he's got a swimmers body.

HUGE upper body, broad shoulders, huge arms, wide back, big chest .... and some chicken legs.

I think he'll be able to guard some 5's well, he has major athleticism, he's got some decent strength, he can block shots and get D rebounds. That being said I don't think he has that Chuck Hayes type lower body strength that allows him to body 7'0 300 pound guys. Chuck was a brick wall, I remember young Nene trying to post him up with all his might getting straight bumped off like nothing from Chuck.

HTX Ninja and saleem like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What happened? I hope it was nothing serious.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope he will play well for us.

19. j@amc

j@amc Member

Feigen has added that it's a two-year partially guaranteed deal.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-sign-forward-Cameron-Oliver-11275196.php

Oliver did give the team a lift off the bench last night after not playing in the first half. His defensive upside was on display as he used his quickness to stay connected as a defender on multiple straight-line drives. This is something that the big team really needs (and one of the several areas where Anderson, Harrell, Decker, and even Nene and Capella suffered last year).

Late in the 4 Q on offense, Oliver flashed to the basket on a cut, rather than lingering at the 3-point line. While he does need to add range, his explosiveness of moving without the ball looks promising.

D-rock and Vivi like this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

No every player is chuck Hayes. He was an exception