1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Weekend Getaway Suggestions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Turbo, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

So the wife and I were looking to get out of town (Austin) this weekend, but seeing as how I'm super lousy at planning anything I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer some suggestions on where to go/what to do.

We were kind of thinking about heading down to San Antonio, but you can only see the Alamo so many times in a year and I've never been really big on S.A. anyway (better than Dallas, I suppose); while I'm sure there's a plethora of other things to do besides the Riverwalk/Alamo experience, I just don't know what they are.

I was initially hoping to take her to Schlitterbahn or maybe Sea World, but she's pregnant and doesn't think she can handle those activities. I got to thinking about a resort of some type, but I figure I've missed the window on booking something like that.

Does anyone have any ideas that I haven't considered? Since I haven't considered much of anything, it shouldn't be too hard... :p

2. ccada

ccada Contributing Member

http://www.visitlostpines.com/#areamap

I've never been, but I hear it's nice. Might be too family oriented for you though if she's pregnant with your first. I don't know how far out people usually book their rooms, but it might be worth a try.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Is there more to do in SA other than the Riverwalk/Alamo or Sea World/Fiesta Texas?

How about a quick getaway to the coast. Corpus isn't that far. Or a B&B in the Hill Country.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

have you ever been to the oasis in austin. always worth going if someone hasnt been before. zilker park in austin is fun.

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Weekend flights from SA to Cancun are $257 roundtrip, taxes included, for August.

6. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I drove through Fredricksburg yesterday and it seems like a close nice place to get away. Never done it myself though.

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

That's the first place I thought of. I'll be going there in just a few weeks with a large group. They have a beautiful lazy river that winds through an old growth pecan grove. My wife LOVED it when she was pregnant because being in a pool made her feel lighter. Totally relaxing. They have huge fire pits going at night (along with some more intimate smaller ones) and all the fixins for smores. It ain't cheap, but it's totally worth it because the activities are included in the room rate. I think the spa does pregnancy massages as well.

8. Masters Flickvan

Masters Flickvan Contributing Member

Blair House Inn

Get one of the cottages (personal favorite is the San Miguel Cottage ) and the Saturday night dinner.
    If you think you don't like a bed and breakfast place, Please give this one a try!

It is the only place we come back to over and over again. We have tried other places, but they all suck compared to this place. The food is fantastic, the cabins are super romantic, the nature surrounding this bed and breakfast is amazing as well.

We love to go there and do nothing but relax. If you get tired of taking naps and drinking wine, you can always drive down to the Olive Orchard or perhaps a tasting at a local winery nearby!

Well, since you live in Austin it may be too close for a weekend getaway since it's located in Wimberley. Personally, I would still give this one a try!

#8 Masters Flickvan, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  9. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Wow - that place looks awesome; too bad they're booked for this weekend :( Great suggestion though - I'll have to keep it in mind for future trips.

I thought about making a quick jaunt to the coast (our favorite hangout is Port Aransas), but we were just there last month and we wanted to mix it up a bit, if possible.

I've heard good things about the Lost Pines resort too, but there's something about going to Bastrop to 'getaway' that doesn't make much sense - maybe I'm being too picky... :eek:

I do like the idea of a B&B in the hill country and Wimberley or Fredricksburg are both great little nooks, since they're far enough out to get some different scenery, but close enough to make it back in a few hours.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

use vrbo.com Vacation rentals by Owner. They have great properties in great places. Its better than Staying in hotels and stuff also. They have some really nice beachside condo's close to moody gardens and stuff like that.

11. Prince

Prince Member

beach house at galveston if you're more than 6.

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Depending on how far along your wife is, Port Aransas is definitely an option if you want to spend some time on the coast.

But ya, the Hyatt Lost Pines Resort is supposed to be pretty nice and not too far from Austin. Other nearby options may be to check out places like Hamilton Pool or Pedernales Falls.

13. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

What about one of those weekend cruises on a boat? I've always wanted to try one...but I'm not sure what to expect.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

"Never thought I'd be on a boat..."

15. updawg

updawg Member

Lost pines has a nice golf course if you are into that. I've only played the golf course but the lazy river,etc looks nice. I agree about getting away to bastrop not being ideal, maybe if you had kids, since it seems more geared for that or corporate retreats. I wouldn't go as just me and my wife. Maybe when our daughter is older.

another b&b is www.rose-hill.com, they have cabins as well. never stayed there but heard good things.

Marfa if you want a drive. Ft. Worth for Museums. Depends how far along your wife is, especially with the heat