1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wealth Inequality in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Classic, Mar 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is interesting . . . .
    We are against Kingdomships and aristocracies
    but
    If the same thing is achieved through monetary inequity . . .then we are ok with it

If one person got such a strong economic hold on all of America
    If 1 person OWNED 99% of America. . . .
    it would seem we would be ok with that because we would say he 'earned' it

which . . in a sense is not different than any dictator

Rocket River

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This is what concerns me. There have always been haves and have nots. You have that in any free economic system. What is concerning is that back in the "good old days ," the difference between the top and the bottom was a river. Today, it is an ocean and it is widening. To me, that is not a sign of a healthy economy. It is a sign of trouble on the horizon. If we could foster a change back to the river of difference, more families would have disposable income they could put into the economy through purchases. It would cause the economy to grow. Government on the federal and state level would see more revenue, even at current tax rates and a reduced need for government services.

I guess there is a reason why they are called the good old days.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

“Here’s reality: if you’re fortunate enough to count yourself among the privileged, the rest of the nation is drowning,” he said. “In our country today, if you’re born poor, if your parents didn’t go to college, if you don’t know your father, if English isn’t spoken at home, then the odds are stacked against you.”

Guess who said this

Jeb Bush at CPAC 2013

4. ling ling

ling ling Member

This is the only thing I agree w/ Jeb.

5. ling ling

ling ling Member

In a Kingdomship, the commoners were taxed to the benefit of the aristocracies.

"If 1 person OWNED 99% of America. . . ." That's a pretty big if. Let me know when someone owns 1% of America.

6. Refman

I would imagine that you don't know all of his positions or comments. The fact that you would previous have said that you agreed with him on nothing but were surprised this time is indicative that it could happen again.

7. ling ling

ling ling Member

Umm... Not sure what you just said.

8. Refman

You said that this is the only thing that you agree with Jeb on. If you found this thing you agree with him on, it is not inconceivable it could happen again.

9. ling ling

ling ling Member

I found that I did not agree w/ the rest of the quote.

10. Refman

Oh. Got it. I misconstrued your post. Nevermind.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You mean like how our money went to bail out some big businesses that paid out some major bonuses to the CEOs that allowed them to fail at a level that they needed bailing out?

The Government is nothing more than a big money laundering scheme. The money goes in and it is redistributed to the wealthy few via 'government contracts'

Rocket River

12. ling ling

ling ling Member

Didn't the banks pay back every penny plus interest?

Can't argue with you on this one. That's why when less money that funnels through the government, the better it is for everyone.

13. dback816

dback816 Member

I guess beautiful women can't be smart in your world.

14. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Now if they were only kind enough to pay back every penny plus interest on the damage they caused to balance sheets, job prospects, and financial markets around the world.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

How about welfare inequality?

I got my facebook with people complaining that everyone with an expensive car have no need for welfare. Do people with an expensive car not have the same needs as those with no car?

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

People seem to beleive:
    1. You should eat swill. You should buy large portions of low quality food. Now this may cause expensive medical issues in the long run but for now you should eat crap AND *****ING BE GRATEFUL YOU b*stard!! [I saw an article where people were pissed because hipsters were buy at the whole food store with food stamps] and you should eat lima beams, spinach and all that other ***** on the shelves in cans that we . .the people who pay . . don't like [notice how many lima bean cans are in the donated food box. people goto the store to buy them just to donate . .. if you don't eat it. . why buy it and donate it to someone else to eat?]
    2. You should not have one *****ing second of enjoyment. No PS2s, No Jordons, Nothing that will make you feel better. You *****ing play kick the *****ing can and hide-n-go seek. You play GO GET A *****ING JOB AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR KID WHO IS MAKING STRAIGHT As AND WANTED A PS2 TO BE ENCOURAGED TO CONTINUE!!!

If you poor
    1. you stay humble and in fact . . . when working folx come into the room look down and away.
    2. Speak in terms of respect like . . Mister, Sir, Your Honor, Your Magesty, YE OLE GREAT AND POWERFUL . . .
    3. be happy we allow you to live
    4. Give me your daughter . .. . .

Rocket River

Rocket River

17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

If other people are paying for your food, you should try to be reasonably frugal in your selections. If my boss takes me out to lunch for doing a good job, I don't order lobster and caviar. You don't have to buy nothing but bread, but you definitely should be staying on the low end of the spectrum.
    If someone else is paying your bills, you are damn right you shouldn't be buying a playstation, designer shoes, etc. If someone asked you for some money to help cover his rent, and then you saw him spending it on an entertainment option, what would you think.
    I wouldn't say lowering your eyes is necessary, but if you are living off the generosity of others, being humble isn't really out of line.
    I think everyone should speak in terms of respect. I know I do. How would you suggest someone address a judge, since you seem to think Your Honor is inappropriate?
    I don't see these opinions expressed by anyone really. Certainly being poor doesn't require a person to allow anyone access to their daughter, and not being killed is insufficient cause for happiness.

2 people like this.
  18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Didn't many of the banks receive an additional bailout, in which they used to pay back the original loan?

19. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

THIS. Also I remember some banks getting interest free "bailout" money, which they in turn deposited it at the fed for 3% = free money. That was one of the reasons why the stimulus didn't work because the money never trickled down to borrowers.

20. Classic

Classic Member

It trickled down if you were in a position to work with those bankers in a role where they spent all their newly looted monies. Maybe you were a realtor for a new house in the Hamptons or the contractor hired to renovate their 6 year old million dollar kitchen in their Manhattan high rise. Maybe they vacationed to a Vermont bed in breakfast in fall of 2009, bought a new jet to service their rental property in the Caribbean or they hosted an Obama fundraiser and you were the caterer.