1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wealth Inequality in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Classic, Mar 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the ones who make sure all their financing is government backed?

2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Commodore is a free market fundamentalist, just the same as folks are religious fundamentalists. At no point does reality intrude on his worldview.

3. Commodore

now now let's not conflate faith and reason

4. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Don't feed the trolls. Some are paid by political groups to spread disinformation on the Internet. Others are just naive, middle class citizens making < $1M/year and < $10M net worth. The latter group is fascinating to talk to what with their materialistic aspirations, distorted reality of America's political and economic system, and an admiration of sources like the Drudge Report, Breitbart, and Fox News.

They mistakenly believe by supporting the policies and attitudes of the top .01%, they may too one day join the elites. Why should they criticize the massive wealth and income disparities? They'll be at the top someday too. Ironically, their social circles, education, and upbringing are not even in the same Solar System as a resident of 10065 lol.

1 person likes this.
  5. thadeus

That's exactly what I'm saying.

6. Commodore

certainty makes you uncomfortable, but it need not be faith based

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

It's not very reason-based either, given your propensity to stop at Econ 101 graphs.

There are papers published that go beyond supply and demand curves, I hope you know that.

8. carlosc

carlosc Member

This is so completely, idiotically wrong and utterly detached from reality that it makes me joyous. I know perfectly well that most neo-confederates and reactionaries think that Obama won not because modern conservatives are a bunch of lunatics but because Obama is Santa Claus. For me this is great because it means that the lunatics will never, ever confront the reality that they cannot win a national election as currently constructed. They'll just keep blaming their woes on Santa Claus.

The video you posted and your response to it are so completely off the mark that those of us whose existence occurs largely on planet earth can only conclude that you (plural) are either simply lying or you (plural) are so completely vacuous that you literally don't understand why extreme wealth polarization is a bad thing.

At the end of the day I assume any given reactionary is both a liar and stupid so it really doesn't matter all that much to me. I just know I will continue to be pleased with the inevitable results of your collective foolishness.

1 person likes this.
  9. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

In a free market economy, profit is the payment for entrepreneurship. When one realizes that different companies make differing amounts of money, the economy has income inequality. Is this a big deal? NO. The people who started the profitable businesses are justly rewarded for their successes. The people mopping the floor will make minimum wage. The government can attempt to redistribute wealth, but this redistribution requires more government control. More government control leads to crowding out of private investment, and the economy will suffer. There is nothing anyone can do to stop wealth inequality in the economic and political system that we have.

10. Nextup

Nextup Member

That's why we need a different system.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure there is since we've basically had the same system for a long time, and it wasn't always this bad.

12. Nextup

Nextup Member

Lol what a ringing endorsement for capitalism.

13. Commodore

this

it would be like trying to prevent grade inequality in school

14. carlosc

carlosc Member

No one is trying to prevent wealth inequality. Anyone who claims otherwise either has a four year old's grasp of economics or is a liar.

15. ling ling

ling ling Member

From the chart, It looks like the ideal wealth distribution from the people that took the survey shows that the high school drop out working part time flipping burgers should be making at least $50K annually, while someone like Lebron James should only make < $500K max for his salary + endorements.

16. Commodore

yes, envy/entitlement/resentment turned into a powerful political force

17. thadeus

It's nothing like that.

18. ling ling

ling ling Member

That's right. I can wear shoes just as well as Derrick Rose. I demand a system that pays me the same as what he's getting.

19. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Before we can discuss, we really need to agree on the premise here. A lot of people in this thread are alarmed by the fact that the richest Americans are much, much richer than they've been in modern history, that the trend shows no sign of stopping, and that the other places in the world that have a few super-rich and masses of struggling poor tend to be really, really bad places to live.

Your contention is that you don't foresee any major political or social problems arising from the worsening wealth gap? And that even if it were a problem, there's just nothing that can be done?

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course I wasn't trying to endorse capitalism. I was merely stating that it isn't true that the amount of wealth inequality we have now has to be this way in the system we have.

History has proven otherwise.