1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wealth Inequality in America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Classic, Mar 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, I may not have been very clear here but I don't consider the fact that some folks are sharper than others to be an issue. I'm talking about the level of schooling available to those of a different class from birth, before you are able to comprehend determination. But, for the most part I agree with what you've said above, particularly the bolded sentence. The problem is that students at different grade schools aren't a part of the same bell curve. Speaking as a person who has been a part of the lower middle class, lower class, and upper middle class, there is always a range. The problem is those kids that excel in the worst schools have no idea they're actually poor performers overall and will either struggle to perform average or fall flat on their face when assimilated with the masses in college. This same trend is followed with average and poor students.

One big difference between money and education is that if introduced to a good learning environment at a young age you will perform within that range. It's unfortunate that from day one, for no reason other than being well off, my future children will have a far better education than their inner city counterparts.

2. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Consider income mobility--- More than half of people in the top 1% in 1996, were no longer there by 2005. Among the top 0.01%, three quarters were no longer there by 2010.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Qi8clPrg7kc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Take into account the movement of all individual household incomes over time--- 95% of poor households (bottom fifth) in 1975 were no longer poor in 1991.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vDhcqua3_W8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except apparently nations like Canada, Sweeden, and France are all more conducive to the sharp people doing well, and rising up, since they have greater upward mobility than the U.S.

4. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Right, she should pay for it herself...or take the bus.

Regardless the government provides the safe platform for business to thrive in this country. We are fighting to have the best economy in the world, not fighting for food. You make it sound like this is the worst country. How has your life changed from any of this?

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I would imagine that Ted Cruz lines up early to get in the "A" boarding group on Southwest?

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, Space Ghost, what the hell does this post even mean? What a compilation of nonsense. Seriously, where do you get your news? Where do you get your information? This post reads like the mumbo jumbo spewed by the typical right wing radio talk show host. And yes, I listen to them. Why? Because I like to be informed. I like to find out what "the other side" thinks, and this post is straight out of the Rush Limbaugh/Fox News playbook.

Try some other sources. You don't have to agree with them, but I least you would be getting more than one side of the story. Get all sides, and then make up your own mind. If that's what you actually do in "real life," you could knock me over with a feather. I simply don't believe it, with all due respect. You're an intelligent guy. Free your mind. You don't have to be a liberal, you don't have to be a moderate, you don't have to be a progressive, but you can at least learn to refrain from posting things like this:

"You could give a million dollars to everyone in this country. There will be many who will be broke in a year or two. Then there will be a few who manage the money well enough to double and triple their money in a decade or two, and retire very well off. The same applies to an education. You can give them all the education in the world, but if they don't know how to use it, its all for naught."

7. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Are you implying democrats don't do the same? And democrats preach spreading the wealth yet every democrat politician is a multi-millionaire.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not every Democrat. Joe Biden certainly wasn't. Also having money doesn't mean you don't want greater wealth distribution.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

You want to see wealth inequality, go to a museum. When you are in a museum, you are in the foyer of the rich. Do you even have a foyer?

Why is some museum art so expensive: rich people have no better idea to do with money than to bid up the price of art and donate it to the 'public' at the expense of a possible tax-break.

10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I rolled my eyes so hard when I read this. If you genuinely believe what you're implying, then you're a lost cause.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KENaWXPmBr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Commodore

The left has successfully turned the aspiration to and admiration of wealth generation into envy and disdain, exploiting the uglier propensities of human nature for political gain.

"They're bad, you deserve what they have, vote for me and I'll take it from them and give it to you."

13. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Spoken like someone who has never sniffed close to private equity, investment banking, management consulting, or corporate deal-making.

I chuckle at "wealth generation" as if it's good for anyone but a certain few. The illusion is of course through the S&P 500, EVERYONE gains. haaaaa.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Below is what my complaint is with wealth inequality. It is a legit complaint which has yet to be addressed by any conservative in this thread.

Your stereotype is just plain wrong.

15. Commodore

so you're upset about corporate welfare?

I'm with you.

Any wealth inequality achieved by force is wrong, but so is wealth equality achieved by force.

16. Classic

Classic Member

Those guys at the very top [.01%'ers] usually get there by force. That's the problem.

It would be better to distinguish the 1% from the .01'ers as the .01'ers are all worthless financial types. 1% 'ers can easily be risk takers and entrepreneurs who've played the game. No issue there.

17. Commodore

Yeah, I mean who needs financing right?

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't think you are with me at all because I didn't say anything about corporate welfare, nor did you say anything about the influence of money in politics.

And again, this has nothing to do with me being greedy or envious of other peoples money. I work, I make good money. I don't need handouts or anything from government other than infrastructure and the most basic things.

I believe in wealth inequality, I believe the drive to be wealthy is a good byproduct of capitalism and a good motivator for people to work harder and gain a better quality of life.

I am not okay with the current level of inequality. If the majority of wealth is funneled into fewer and fewer people's hands, the tax rates need to ramp up on those individuals, that is just math.

#58 larsv8, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Actually I believe he's saying you're a simpleton.

20. Classic

Classic Member

If the results of 2000 to 2007 are to serve as an example, society may be better off without them.

Hopefully you can distinguish the financial 'types' I'm referring to.