1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need to change the offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HardenMvp, May 15, 2018.

1. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

In this series and next year. We played right in the Warriors hand. Pick and roll guy right to curry and everyone stays home. That makes Capela almost useless offensively unless he gets deep position in the post, and we don't even throw it to him in the post. Harden simply got tired last night, when he got tired we just went to Eric Gordon one on one wtf. We lost by double digits when Chris Paul and James Harden combined for 64 points. What happens when they have an off night? They also got
    easy buckets against James Harden because he has to do so much offensively.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Change the offense to what exactly? It’s easy to just say “change the offense” while providing no solutions. Also, why is the focus on the GARM been about the offense when the defense was a much bigger letdown? I’m so confused. GS shot over 50% from the field, 39% from 3, had 54 points on uncontested looks, had Klay drop 28 while getting great shots throughout the game, and KD went into unguardable mode, but here we are talking about offense.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Thank you. Good grief.

Smacktle likes this.
  4. riko

riko Member

The role players need to hit their shots and Tucker needs to get aggressive. Every time we played well in the playoffs Tucker started off well . The Utah game 3 he came out hot.

Trevor needs to nail his threes. Luc can’t miss wide open layups and we need to initiate our offense earlier in the shot clock. If you give the Warriors defense enough time on the shot clock to get set then we’re screwed.

Start the offense earlier and keep them on the back foot.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Push the pace, if no early offense back it out top and reset.

DD

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

basically OP be like . . .

DO SOMETHING!! ANYTHING!!!

7. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

Playing the way we do now against the Warriors will make us tired by the 3rd quarter if we Iso possession. How are we suppose to play defense when we get tired?

8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

We played this type of offense for the whole season and you expect us to change it overnight? It's not gonna happen. To me the only way to get over the hump is to play better defense and cross our fingers that James and CP will shoot the lights out for the series. We haven't played our best on the defensive yet. I still saw plenty of miscommunications and lack of focus on the defensive end. Gotta eliminate those mistakes!

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

You still haven’t said what changes should be made. Can I get some specifics? Also, please dude, c’mon now, now you’re trying to say that our offense is what caused the bad defense? The Rockets have been playing this way all season.

10. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Change the offense!? Someone has been watching too much ESPN

11. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

It works in the regular season because we blow teams out by the 3rd quarter, Warriors will just keep it close and by then we will just be too tired to compete with this Iso heavy offense. IDK what changes we need to make but let's be honest, Iso heavy offense against the Warriors won't work. We need more ball movement

12. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

We need McHale to come in for a pep talk lol.

lw17 and Os Trigonum like this.
  13. hakeemthagreat

If that's the case we will get swept. Harden & CP will eventually wear down going one on one every possession. I'm a little disappointed MDA didn't make ANY adjustments on offense going into this series. The Warriors game planned and knew exactly what was coming. The only reason we were in the game is because Harden's stepback was falling. No cutting & no ball movement for us smh.

arabrocket, 1Deep and lw17 like this.
  14. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Definitely dont need to change the offense but I would like to see a little more action on the backside that forces the Warriors to focus on that. For instance, one thing they killed the Jazz on was the hammer screen. When Harden or CP3 drove to the basket, the guy in the opposite corner set a screen for the wing to get a wide open 3 in the corner.

I felt like, last night, every time Harden threw a pass out the shooter was just standing in place. It led to quite a few turnovers late in the game because it was easy to stop.

15. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Those know how to defense does not know how to offense.

16. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

You need to stop making threads.

marky :) and harold bingo like this.
  17. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

How does iso-heavy offense make you more tired? The offense doesn’t need to change. I’d run more pick and roll with Clint or give more touches to CP3 earlier. I think Harden felt on and tried to take over too much. He got gassed. The adrenaline rush of this game lead to a crash too. Not concerned about the offense. Stop listening to Reggie Miller and his dumb takes. You’ve watched way more Rockets games than he has. How does this offense not work if it’s been historically good, earned the best record in the league, beat the warriors 2-1 in the regular season, and got them to the WCF with only two playoff losses?

You want to fix the defense? Easy. Don’t let Ariza get in foul trouble from tip off. Or Luc or Tuck. 5 fouls early in the 3rd. That means tentative defense by Ariza on the court. Also means more Gerald Green minutes which is bad for defensive rotations. Especially when coach wants to play Ryno. Can’t have two minuses on defense.

#17 clutch citizen, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Drogba likes this.
  18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Someone listened to Reggie Milller blabber on about ISO’s for the entire game. Put your tv on mute.

19. HardenMvp

HardenMvp Member

You really going to bring up regular season? This is the playoffs. There is no way in hell we can beat the Warriors going one on one dribble dribble shoot every possession

daywalker02 and deb4rockets like this.
  20. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

It’s one-on-one and create. They did go away from that and had the initiator shoot more. The normal offense is break down the defense for a good shot. Whether that be the big being broken down by Harden/CP3, or the help defense rotating or doubling the ball handler. Either way, it’s ISO ball. Which is produced a historically great offense when clicking. The notion that the Rockets should change their offense is a poor take. You’ve got too much stock in narratives.

Also, you ignored everything else about my post and honed in on “regular season.” Which I don’t get your logic there either. Our offense only works because we blow everyone out by the third quarter but only in the regular season? It still sounds like Reggie Miller and Chris Weber got you hype.If I have to hear “they need more cutters” one more time, I’m muting the game and syncing with Craig. TNT obviously haven’t watched more than three Rockets games if that.