1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need to build this team around Harden & Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Jan 17, 2014.

1. rockets018

rockets018 Member

That is exactly my point. He can't....

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

now you're just trolling.

3. conquistador#11

you want to build around harden then just bring in a young tony allen type, that way he can guard the opposing 2 guard from having career nights on us and can guard harden's pg match up when he is having career nights. otherwise, bev is going to get torched by the likes of tyreke and monta ellis. it's bad enough the kimba walkers get their way too.

so basically the solution to a mchale utopia would be having,

Pg: Harden, bev
    SG: Bradley,bev

If people can't see the problem with the SG running the point, then there is nothing that can be done to fix it. TRUE ROCKETS warrior Calvin murphy sees it, George Karl sees it. until that philosophy changes, we are not getting past the first round, saddens me as a long time rockets optimist, not to be confused with optometrist, which tend to be all over the place. damn eye tests and eye doctors.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

When we run and gun, the offense flows so much better. The 3's are dropping and everyone knows their role.

The flaw with this model is when forced into a half court game, we cannot stop opponents and the offense doesn't work.

Enter Howard

What I see is our push offense trying to integrate our new star. On the surface, Howard appears to take us out of what we do best. But he also shores up our biggest weaknesses from last year. Namely a post threat, interior defense, and a cog to go to when in half court sets.

The challenge is how fuse what worked last year with what we added (needed) that we didn't have last year.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm not sure where you get "no one" believes this. You're suggesting that they force a guy with knee pain and swelling to play so he won't be worthless. What exactly do you think he'll become if he blows out that knee?

As for building around harden and howard, I do think you're right, but it's also kind of an obvious direction to head into. It's really just Asik and Lin who don't fit and take up a lot of cap space. Everyone else can fit in or has an easier contract to move. No one else besides those two will make over 2 million next season. We just have to be patient in moving them to get the most/best we can. Morey isn't trading peanut contracts here.

6. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

Let's build around this guy:

[​IMG]

7. passdarock

passdarock Member

Build around Howard and Harden. Keep Parsons and trade everyone else for an all-star player. Package Lin, Asik, 2nd round picks, future 1st round picks, and throw in patrick beverly for Kevin Love.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We need defenders (which we have but they're injured) and we need better 3pt shooting. I think our biggest need right now is someone who can come off the bench and nail 3's at over 40%. That's how you build around Howard.

I would bench Garcia - he fouls too often, his defense is not consistently good and his 3pt shot is not falling. All the intangibles in the world can't make up for that. Brewer sucks on offense, but at least he can defend his man without fouling every other minute. He does the one thing well, whereas Garcia has been a complete disappointment this season. That's how you build around Harden's porous D.

With half the season gone I am convinced that anyone who is responsible for structuring our defense should be fired immediately. He is the biggest problem on this team. The team has virtually NO structure on offense yet doing brilliantly well. We allegedly have a highly structured defense and it is failing miserably, even considering two of our best defenders are out injured.

Other than that, we just need Asik and Bev back.

9. N/A

N/A Member

the problems this team faces will continue as long as Harden stops all ball movement and Howard does not utilize the pnr which is all he should be doing. His post game sucks but that's all he wants to do. Harden wants to keep being that 4th Q guy and just pad his other stats in the first 3 Q's. Not only is that predictable but more than half the time that isn't gonna work. Also disagree with living by the 3 and dying by the 3. That isn't the strength of half the team and forcing everyone to do that's just stupid. That's like having every item in the supermarket the same price. It doesn't make sense. Have everyone play to their strengths, I don't know why that's so damn difficult. Toss in a weak coach who can't reel in his "superstars" and there you go. I love how everyone on the team keeps saying "stagnant" and "sticky" but do absolutely nothing to change that. Gee, wonder whose fault that is...

10. passdarock

passdarock Member

I agree that we need Asik and Bev back to strengthen our defense but what happens when they have to sit down or when they have an off night.

Players must make an effort to defend at all times, I just think that isn't the Rockets focus.

The rockets want to kill a team with offense which is in part, in my opinion, why harden does not play defense and why the team loses these large leads.

The emphasis is not on defense.

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

what makes you think the coaches don't see it either? i honestly think it's just james not wanting to give up the ball and let your pg run the point. when he does give up the ball, it moves. when he doesn't (on prime time tv and against elite teams, especially okc), then the ball doesn't move.

this doesn't make him a bad player - he's just going back to what he's comfortable with in pressure situations. he thinks this is the only way we can win. until james realizes that he's at his best when he gives up the ball and receives it on the move, he won't change.

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

do people actually think Asik and Bev will suddenly make the Rockets a championship level team, or just contenders? Really?

Forget Asik, he's gone and will probably never play as a Rocket again; so that leaves Beverly.. So the question then becomes, will Bev make the Rockets a contending team? I think we all know the answer to that.

The problem starts at the top, from coaching to the "superstars" to the role players and to the bench.

An average coach who seemingly has a playbook with very limited pages (and that's being nice), two one-way "superstars" who have ostensibly regressed from their superstar numbers producing days, role players that may or may not fit, but even worse are as erratic and inconsistent as the two "superstars," and a bench consisting of 3 players--at times just two--that is ranked at the very bottom.

Yeah... I'm sure having Bev back or trading for Rondo will fix everything....

13. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Just a dream in my head. We trade Howard for Love, and Corey Brewer. Asik magically gets better

Asik
    Love
    Parson
    Harden
    Bev

Bench: Lin,Jones,Dmo,Casspi,Garcia

That team would be sooooooo much better than it is now.

1 person likes this.
  14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/troy_daniels/

15. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

It's so disappointing how well Lowry would compliment this team as the starting point guard. Him and Derozen have started a resurgence in the Raptors and they've turned into a great(not elite tho) defensive team. Lowry would definitely light the fire under every other player. I really wish him and coach left on good terms. Now Lowry is most likely going to be resigned by the raptors. Ugh!

16. Classic

Classic Member

I can not disagree with this.

17. chandlerbang21

Harden got caught with his pants down :rolleyes:

18. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

You dont say? What I feel like the team should do is build a team similar to what Orlando had but better.Then bring in a coach who is versatile in styles of play(Karl) we will be able to run a half court set and be a run n gun team. I would trade for a Afflalo and Nelson. Dwight problem in Orlando wasn't the coaching staff or the players, they were unable to build a championship team, one of the main reasons he came here was cause Morey could do that,but right now we only have 4 trade chips Asik,Lin,DMO, and maybe Jones if we sell high on him. We are stuck in the roster department, and many teams at this moment could take advantage of our situation, my dream scenario for this team is to get Afflalo and Nelson, have McHale for the rest of the season then get a real coach our Championship window is only like 4 years and this year will be a waste IMO(1st round or 2nd round exit) with what we have.

Nelson/Bev
    Harden/Garcia
    Afflalo/Casspi
    Parsons/Jones
    Howard/DMO

19. chandlerbang21

Haven t seen that written anywhere in this thread.

20. texansalltheway

Picture lebron james dunking, that is who we will eventually build around