1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We don't have any energy guys

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cato13, Feb 24, 2004.

1. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

I have been analyzing this team and of course we have many shortcomings but one thing I have noticed is that we don't have anyone that brings energy off the bench. People like Ruben Patterson(Portland),Mark Madsen(formerly Lakers),Ginnobolli(Spurs), Earl Boynkins(Nuggets). These type of players turn games solely because of their hustle.

We also don't have that long, athletic player either which I think we need. Sitting here watch Tim Thomas going off for the Knicks and was thinking maybe someone like him could help the Rockets. But if you think about it we don't have anyone like that. We did when we had Posey but man we need someone who could jump out the gym and is long. We really don't have any pure long and athletic players. Steve Jackson anyone?

Look at our backcourt. Sure they are quick and you could call teve athletic but he is short. Cat is also short for a shooting guard.

Look at our small forward. I love what Jim Jackson brings to the table but look at him, he is only 6'6" and at 32/33 years old he doesnt have the spring he used to have.

And lets take a look at our bigs, Yao - enough said. Mo Taylor and Witherspoon. :rolleyes: Cato may be our only athletic big but he has no offense which kills us.

I really wish we could somehow get a couple of Miami's player for our team. They are a very athletic team. We need someone who can rise and get his shot off in traffic by just shooting over someone instead of beating them with first step or getting them off balance with a crossover and then throwing up a circus shot.

I see several trades in the summer.

2. PumperX

PumperX Contributing Member

THE ANSWER--- BOKI

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I also think Boki is the answer as far as an long, athletic energy guy off the bench. Van Gundy has gone overboard with this "VETERANS are the answer to all our problems" thesis he has going.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

i think that attributes to the fact that we dont have a bench, on most other teams, JJ would be that sparkplug off the bench, or even mobes. mo taylor could be that but he's too one dimensional.

5. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

James Posey was, and he was the first to step up and take a charge even if he had to run the floor to do it. He didn't try to strip and foul someone, he just took a hard knee or shoulder in the chest.

6. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

I would like to see Boki in the rotation but he lacks confidence in his shot therefore he passes up wide open shots to drive to the basket.

7. rocksolid

rocksolid Contributing Member

MoT has served as a sparkplug at times (Spoon on occasion), but not consistently....

I'd like to see more of Adrian Griffin at the 2. He was an 'energy' guy for Dallas, but he's not really seeing any minutes...I don't think it's healthy for the team to have Cat playing 40+MPG...

8. silentfan

silentfan Member

I agree with the original poster. The rockets roster is filled with guys that are either:

1) Too short for their position (Cat, Mo, JJax)

2) Overweight (Mark Jackson, Cato, Mo, Padgett)

3) Too old (Mark Jackson, borderline JJax and Spoon)

4) Can't jump (basically everyone except Steve and Cat)

5) Slow (Borderline Yao, MJax)

6) Too skinny (Boki, Yao-upper body)

Notice how some players are listed in several categories? We need some real athletes on this team to compete in the fast, strong, tall west. Management, PLEASE take notes from Memphis and Denver and get some athletic player on this team. Both those teams rebuilt and came out of NOWHERE and are already ahead of the rockets (Denver may very well pass the Rockets so don't rule that out, i'm talking on competitiveness with the West).

9. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Yea it seems that this team doesnt have any hustlers or energy guys at all. We are going to need to get one in the offseason in free agency. The perfect energy and hustle guy we could try to sign in the off season would be Brian "the custodian" Cardinal of the Warriors. This guy is not only a guy that will hustle his shorts off but has plenty off offense. He can hit an open shot or three, he can even create his own shots. He has a knack to getting to the free throw line and is a vvery good shooter. Even though it would probably take the entire MLE to sign him it would be worth it.

10. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

We have energy guys. They just don't DO anything productive. Look at the Spurs tonight. They get steals, they poke away balls, they play in your face defense on the perimeter. We don't really do alot of that that I can think of. Not consistently anyway.

What we need is INTANGIBLES guys. Adrian Griffin could be one of those guys. He should get more time but Mobley plays almost the whole game and JJ does just fine with the minutes he gets.

We have a team of energy guys but theyre so streaky and oftentimes so darned ineffective it almost negates their hustle.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree, we DONT have any energy guys. I dont want to turn this into another "we let Posey get away" threads but clearly he brought that to the team last year as did Kenny Thomas.

In the offseason this team needs to address this. We need a Jerome Williams, or Eric Williams off the bench, someone that can come in and play defense and hustle to get rebounds. We just dont have that and it hurts us sometimes when we get in a rut and dont show much energy on the court.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

it is also called HOME COOKING

Vicious Hacks that don't get call
    IMO are not true Steals

Rocket River

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

you took the words right out of my mouth .JVG is not using the team full scale of players.

14. Toast

Toast Member

I was watching the same game you were watching. Man was I getting steamed. I think the worst was in the 1st quarter when Mobley got tripped and then was called for an offensive foul. Where in the world did that come from?