1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson Or Savage? Who would you like to see lead the Texans week 1

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nigel Thornberry, Aug 8, 2017.

?

Watson or Savage

1. Deshaun Watson

66.7%
  2. Tom Savage

33.3%
  1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Going to have to go with this because if Savage earned to be a starter then Texans wouldn't have drafted Watson who's looking like he's going to be the starter.

T for 3, ipaman and Fulgore like this.
  2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

exactly right. all these savage defenders are forgetting that the texans just executed for the first time in nfl history an nba-like trade. that was because of how bad brock was not how good savage was. and as you mentioned if savage had "earned" the job they wouldn't have used two 1st rounders to reach for watson. that's such a massive risk that jeopardizes peoples careers. clearly they like savage and he earned it :rolleyes:

@DonkeyMagic @donkeypunch the impudence to criticize and accuse folks of using false logic while ignoring facts o_O

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Youre logic is still flawed. How about you stop think subjectively and more objectively. You know the type of logical thinking.

Heres an example: If a head coach gets fired midway through the year and his replacement is an interim head coach, did that interim head coach not do anything to earn the job? Of course he did. He was the best option at the time. Thats where you seem to not comprehend logic. He might not be the long term answer but hes the best patch before the long term answer. The De Facto(the tallest midget), like I said earlier in my post. I never said that Savage is the total absolute answer, but I did say he is the best option we have at the moment to start the season and as a team overall going forward for compensation. How am I ignoring facts? Please, logically think about that.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

WRONG!, earning the job occurs after performing the interim job. if team drops interim title and they become head coach THEN you could say he earned it. your "logic" is forgetting that "EARN" requires a time component that you're completely ignoring. also interim by definition means temporary and temporary clearly implies not yet earned.

and you're ignoring the facts in regards to savage "EARNING" the job based on his merits by ignoring why did we chase romo? why did we use two #1s to draft savage? those facts prove that he hasn't earned ****.

T for 3 likes this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree. If a head coach gets fired midway through the season, they can't go out and get a new head coach right then. They name an interim head coach currently with the team who's also fimilar with the team.

In the Texans qb case, that's Savage. Doesn't mean he deserves to be the starter, just means they believe he wouldn't make as many mistakes as Brock did.

7. donkeypunch

I could say the same thing about your time component. So an Interim coach does nothing to be the one to temporarily hold the job down. You do know I said DE FACTO, right? Does a vice president do NOTHING to maintain the Presidency if anything should happen to the President? The assistant coach, the vice president are in the working environment, just as the head coach and president are and to say they did 'NOTHING' to merit the promotion, albeit DE FACTO, is flawed.

Teams can go out and get another coach midseason. It just may not be the right fit.

Theres also Weeden on the bench. The fact that crock sucked so bad, doesnt mean Savage didnt earn it. He earned the opportunity to be #2, then he earned the opportunity to be #1. He may not be a true #1but as of right now, he is the #1 option on this roster. I dont know why its so hard to see that. This is a agree to disagree argument, really.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Some of these Pro-Savage arguments are really stretching too far. Everybody understands he is a placeholder for Watson. The only debate is when and why he will be removed from the starting job, not if he will be removed.

macho GRANDE and ipaman like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not necessarily true. Watson still has to earn it and he's got a long way to go before that happens. For all we know, he may never earn it. Don't let all of the fans who are blowing him night and day blind you to that.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If he's playing really well, why would he be removed just because Watson has to get the job?

I, like most people, don't expect him to be very good. But if he is, I'm not pulling him for a rookie, this team can win it all with solid QB play.

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I know it's not categorically true, but it's true enough that I feel comfortable saying that most realize Savage is a placeholder.

How about if I revise my statement to: If things continue at their current pace, and neither Savage nor Watson take any uncharacteristic leaps up or down, Savage is a placeholder for Watson.

12. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Sure. If Savage comes out and plays really well don't pull him. We agree. I am operating under the assumption he won't. (for the sake of argument.)

13. donkeypunch

Thats the assumption Im going with as well. He has earned the right to lose the job. Hell have a short leash and thats deserved with a highly touted rookie with immense potential behind him. If all goes well, Savage will be productive and the Texans will get some kind of compensation for him. Its not like Watsons time wont come. All this I have said from the very beginning.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yes it is a agree to disagree and I'm okay with that.

But I don't see anyway Savage earned anything

ipaman likes this.
  15. Nigel Thornberry

This is the most idiotic thing I've read all day.....Well that was until I read some of @Deckard political posts.

red5rocket likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's just common sense though. Watson has to earn the starting job and as of now we don't know for sure that will ever happen. Now I'm certainly rooting for him, and it'll be a damn shame if he fails, but it's certainly possible. How many QB's really pan out?

17. Nigel Thornberry

You can play the "what if" game all day if you please, unfortunately I'm not interested

18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure that's true, you are looking to play the "what if" game when it comes to speculating about what if Watson ends up proving himself, you just don't like speculating as to any possibility that leads to a different outcome.

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Saying that we don't know for sure that Watson will ever earn the starting job is relying solely on the premise of "anything can happen and nobody knows the future." Because all the evidence that we've seen to this point, from both Watson and Savage, flies in the face of that.

Nigel Thornberry likes this.