1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watch episode 4 of Last Dance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Apr 27, 2020.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Rookie coach could be better than MDA. Without Jeff B, MDA is declining. How can Morey trade 5 Firsts for 6th seed?

MDA would agree with 1 million contract.

Knicks, Nets, 76ers and Spurs have coaching vacancies, but at least 20 assistant coaches have a better chance than MDA.

#21 BigBum, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Jontro
    Did some of you just start watching basketball?

Because Mike D'Antoni has been coaching for a long time
    His weaknesses as a coach have also been known for a long time

DaDakota likes this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

Horsesh!t.

D-rock likes this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

Very well put! I was being more theoretical and trying to get people to see that those would’ve said for years we need change of style, coach etc. have a solid case.

Like you say though, MJ was a different animal and could’ve thrived in any system. He played both sides, took things personal, had another gear and was all about winning. That’s not Harden, he doesn’t care how much the opponent scores, defense is not his priority.

I realise that right now with Westbrook and all in on small ball it’s probably too late, but still I’d rather take a chance on a different coach. If Harden doesn’t like it, he can piss off for all I care. Watching this documentary makes me miss having a player like MJ and the physical defense days.

So yes I am biased, but my point stands. If we want the Rockets to win, it cannot be this iso show and a bit of 3pt shooting from others. Westbrook does bring some variety but it’s not enough. As Gordon pointed out, we need consistency from the group and not rely on 2 stars.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

My fervent hope is that light bulbs are going off in Harden's head as he watches the MJ series.

"So that's how it's done. Those are the changes I need to make to be a leader."

We can always dream, right?

DaDakota, daywalker02 and Caesar like this.
  6. Caesar

Caesar Member

TBH? In this era? I mean..i'd put money on some freak experiment were trying out to win a championship versus any other era. Same for a top O, middle of the road D team to win in this era versus others, except maybe the run n gun 80s. As long as we can really play that switch everything D the way we did against the real Warriors in that 7 game series, we got a shot. We were never going to match these other teams size anyway.

The only team that comes to mind that was dominant and routinely below 10th in defensive ratings was the showtime Lakers...but to be stacked with HOF talent and 2 guys in the running for GOAT on the same team IN Hollywood where refs are part of the home team...well..you'd expect an experiment done in LA to win, but riskier in Houston(treated as one of the smaller markets despite being one of the bigger markets-everyone hates us) and smaller markets.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

It's just not in his temperament. He's a laid back guy. If he's a leader, it's by example and by being "cool" with his teammates. Westbrook seems to be a leader by example on the court as well and not so much a vocal leader either. He's certainly vocal during games, but only really to pump himself up and the crowd. Another "cool" with teammates off the court. We have a head coach thats a players coach as well. Were a team full of everyone trying to be buddies. It's why i really loved having CP3 here, but oh well.

Look back at history and it's hard to find many teams constructed with the kind of similar personalities our team has from players to coach to gm. Even the Warriors have Draymond, and Steve Kerr learned from MJ and Pop so he's got dog in him too. The Showtime Lakers? Pat Riley. For as friendly as Magic was with that smile, you see him pump his teammates up on the court and ride them to step up. --Speaking of the Lakers, Magic needing to step up so young to be a leader is one of the main reasons i can't consider Kareem in the GOAT conversation as so many try to do when they bring up his stats and accolades. The guy just wasn't a leader at all and without 2 perimeter GOATS(Oscar/Magic) he was a first round exit. By comparison, Bill Walton was just as dominant in college and won an NBA championship with his only all-star teammate being an enforcer type PF in Mo lucas.

#27 Caesar, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Bulls had couple of leaders and Phil Jackson was a smart leader, he could control Rodman and some of the issues with Scottie sulking.

He also held together Shaq and Kobe as long as he could.

MDA is the laidback players coach, let them roam free.

The coach has to be a character, a shrink and a great tactician.

Also Morey has to knock it out of the ball park with his draft picks, not 1 but most of them, he wasn't even allowed to draft in the Top 10.

MJ was the gigantic icing on a very solid cake that was the foundation of the Bulls.
    Or vice versa.

#28 daywalker02, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Caesar likes this.
  9. JW86

JW86 Member

True and the easiest is to get a new coach who can be our true leader since neither Westbrook nor Harden are natural leaders.