1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[#Wat] Is Virginia’s governor promoting infanticide?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

He didn’t say he promoted infanticide. It is a salacious headline for pro life extremists though.

In Virginia a 2-3 trimester abortion will not happen without 3 doctors all agreeing that the Mother’s life is at risk or the fetus has severe deformities or is not viable.

FranchiseBlade and JayGoogle like this.
  2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

There is no data there to corroborate your claim.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Its there in the Wikipedia article he cited: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/health/late-term-abortion-trump.html which quotes latest CDC data:
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/ss/ss6713a1.htm

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/06/health/late-term-abortion-trump.html

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/ss/ss6713a1.htm

jcf, Nook and JayGoogle like this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Dude, what the hell happened to you? You obviously have an incredibly low opinion of women. So, either one really screwed you up...or you've never actually been with one at all.

5. Cohete Rojo

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I posted the CDC data... you simply choose to ignore, so that's on you.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

@JayGoogle

I appreciate the personal experiences you share.

The late-term abortion you describe is tragic. In that case, the decision was correct because the child was already gone. It would not make sense to risk the mother's life for a likely still birth.

Those are the only types of cases where late term abortions are acceptable.

According to your article, 1.3% of all abortions were late term in 2015. That is about 8,300 late term abortions.

How many of them do you believe match the situation you described?

Even though I am pro-life, I don't think we disagree much on the conditions that need to exist before a woman could choose to have a late term abortion. The devil is in the details. I worry that casual reasons will become as acceptable for late term abortions as they are for early abortions. Even for this discussion, abortions that are < 21 weeks are a given.

As far as me just blaming women. I have posted about other topics where I emphasized personal responsibility and making right choices. A man choosing to have sex with a woman he isn't serious with, much less married with, or doesn't know well enough is even more responsible for the subsequent abortion. He should know better. However, this is a thread about a woman's choice since men are excluded from this decision.

Half of all pregnancies are unplanned. That shows that women are being irresponsible and careless with their choices. Men should still be held more responsible because they are ultimately the ones who are choosing to impregnate the wrong women.

The fact is most abortions are due to reasons unrelated to the health of the mother or child. That is not an opinion. So, what I stated upset you because it is the truth.

8. Cohete Rojo

You posted data that had nothing to do with his original claim. Like I said, old man, the word “usually” is not a data point.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's just not something pregnant women even think of though? I mean ones that have carried a child in her belly into her 2nd trimester and beyond. They bond with the fetus and cherish it and protect it, at least sane women do.

So yes, if you say to me 8,300 late term abortions happened in 2015 I will say that most are for good reasons. There just isn't data contradicting that claim, and unless you feel that women are capable of killing their own children.

As Nook pointed out and the link I linked point out, not many even do late term abortions. Those that do are usually very careful about who gets them. Now, there could be a clinic out there that does them casually, if you find one, again...I'll be right in that lineup next to go to bat for you there...but until I see the actual proof of women casually aborting babies that they've carried into their 2nd and 3rd trimester then I refuse to believe, knowing all the pregnant women that I've come to know, that a woman would carry a baby 5+ months and just decide to kill it because she doesn't like that father or is worried about the added weight to her frame.

No, it didn't upset me at all. I corrected it because in your post before you did put the blame on the woman as if it is her choice and her choice only.

They, the man and woman, usually are young. Young people tend to have sex as it's just how our bodies work, it's the best time to conceive and so it's at that time when people are looking to hook up and discover and explore their sexuality.

Perhaps if we didn't have so many religious nuts running around the country that want to ban or belittle sex ed and take away clinics for women that will help them prevent pregnancies we would have less abortions...yet here we are...and the post you replied to btw was made by another one of these religious nuts.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Where is your data? This entire thread, created by you, is based on a falsehood and a lie.

I trust the CDC over random far-right religion blogs.

11. Cohete Rojo

I posted a video of the Virginia governor. If would like to debate the authenticity of the video, you will receive no audience from me.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So after being shown the data, you decide to try and change the subject of what was being argued in the first place?

JayGoogle likes this.
  13. Cohete Rojo

That was the original subject. Mind your Ps and Qs.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You posted a video and yet where did he promote infanticide?

You are the one that brought up the subject we were on, if you were so dogged about sticking to it you would not have asked for the data I provided lol.

15. Cohete Rojo

That's why we are debating this topic: because I posted a video and asked a question.

Now, where is the data to support your claim?

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's been there, it seems you're the only one incapable of reading it though.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

He claimed that an incredibly small percentage of abortions are late term. You asked for data. The data which backs the claim has been presented. You're still asking for data.

18. Cohete Rojo

The word “usually” is not a data point.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

1.3% is a data point. It supports the idea that usually it doesn't happen. All of that was presented to you.

jcf likes this.
  20. biff17

biff17 Member

That's not how you debate.

Ignoring things when presented and then continue asking for them.

jcf and FranchiseBlade like this.