1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Harden concussed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevC, May 12, 2017.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

He was elbowed in the face earlier in the game. He seemed really sluggish after that. Although he was sluggish before that too.

2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I don't know man. I'm not looking for an excuse but holy **** something was off. 2 shots at half without kawhi?

3. SemisolidSnake

I think this is probably the most interesting question in the aftermath. Several national commentators have mentioned it, too. I don't know how long medical examiners would have at this point to make a definitive assessment. It would be eye-opening, though, if he indeed was playing with a concussion, because that would a) pretty much be the only way he gets mostly absolved from last night's crime, b) it would probably open up the concussion talk in the NBA, which would be a much bigger deal. I hope they look into it.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I hope so...

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Probably not. He didn't look uncoordinated or anything. Just looked unsure of himself. I guess it's possible, though.

6. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

How many times was he elbowed above the neck during the series?

The officials didn't seem to care. Who remembers the Julius Randle game? Zero reviews, zero flagrants.

slothy420 likes this.
  7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

He said the right thing at the press conference, so he wasn't concussed. If he said, "Rockets are a better team than the Spurs," or "Hakeem is this year's MVP," you better check him out.

J Sizzle likes this.
  8. gatsby

gatsby Member

I think he was concussed.

Here's why:

He didn't look like he'd lost the support from either his teammates or MDA. If they knew he was drunk/hungover/high/disposed, they would've been furious at him but I didn't see any ill-will in body language specifically towards him.

I have a theory (no research or backup so appreciate I'm purely speculating but acknowledge it as that):

He was concussed — he knew it and other players knew it. And MDA suspected it but turned the other way. They all knew they'd definitively lose without him playing, but there was a chance that he could play concussed and still maybe win.

But he can't claim now that he was concussed because he broke protocol, MDA and the players aren't mad at him because he tried, etc.

Just my guess.

DonKnock and shadowsb23 like this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

There's a concussion protocol in place, though.

If Harden was allowed to play, that means the decision was signed off by everyone.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

LOL then I guess Harden has been concussed more often than NFL players then.

He's just 28 and yet has been concussed in 2012 against the Heat, 2015 in game 6 vs LAC, 2015 game 5 vs GSW, and then 2017 vs SA since game 5 OT.

11. Rocketeer4Life

Harden not taking any shots in the first quarter doesn't explain this.

12. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

That would be heartbreaking because he is the joke of the offseason now

13. Zergling

Zergling Member

Highly doubtful since the Rockets would know about it by now and announce it.