1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Warn them and then ban them

Discussion in 'ClutchFans Feedback' started by Mango, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

It seems that people want to <i>play games</i> in the GARM and all it does is waste server resources.

Many silly threads lately and this is a prime example:

<a HREF="http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80092">BREAKING NEWS FROM ESPN!</a>

Please post a sticky warning people to cut back on the inane threads & posting.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I have never understood why redundant or harshly-judged threads are simply not deleted/removed. Is there some technical reason why this swift custodial duty cannot be unleashed?

I'm not in favor of banning people for some kind of simple ignorance. Those who don't spend as much time here have no way of knowing what threads have been prevalent in the past few days/weeks/months.

Wouldn't it be just as easy to delete a thread as it would to lock it? Would it not also save server space? Perhaps not... or you would have already seized upon that solution.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

The_Yoyo

I think he's been around long enough to know what does and doesn't fly.

I think deleting/removing threads and providing an email notice/warning is sufficient for newer posters, but for people that have been around for awhile and know the drill(or at least should know), a less lenient approach is fine. Also, deleting/removing threads can open a can of worms where the poster feels the need to post threads asking why his thread was deleted or flaming the board.

Just my 2 cents.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Wasn't The_Yoyo on some people's sh*t lists?

5. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

hmm not much more to add to this other than I agree.

annoys the hell out of me to see useless threads posted over and over and either locked again and again.......... or they just keep on posting :eek:

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

If more people would use the rating thing, then it would show how crappy of a thread it was. I don't ever click on 1 stars anymore.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

One of the worst parts about the rating system is that people rate threads as being bad because they disagree with the threads. That makes no sense.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You're right, that doesn't make sense. Some times it works out well. I mean, if the title sounds iffy and the rating is terrible, most likely it is a waste of time and bandwidth.

9. giddyup

Also, it seems that very few threads get rated.

Rather than lock a thread, why not just erase it?

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Some do get erased. I think the mods are doing fine...

11. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

We want it for reference.

12. giddyup

Since this is a benevolent dictatorship, why do you need it for reference?

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I wouldn't take a lot of stock in BK's answer, giddy. I think he is telling you that because he can.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

All posts that are locked or removed are saved for a reason. There have been some real nutcases to post here and if you keep all the posts you can see the pattern and determine who are the repeat offenders. There are quite a few of the same people who do the same thing over and over in the same style.

Also, it helps because the posts track things like IP addresses.

15. giddyup

Thanks, Jeff. Whatever works for you Mods. I always read the locked threads. That's where the fireworks are or it's a quick dead-end.

16. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Mostly you can tell from the thread title and sometimes the thread starter. Mostly.

Ratings really don't mean jack imo. Even if a majority of the people vote for 5 stars, that doesn't mean I don't think it still sucks. And vice versa.

17. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Because we need it as a reference regardless of however "benevolent" any one of us is feeling at any given time.

18. Nova

Nova Member

If anything, I think people that have been around longer should get more of a warning. If a newbie comes by just to cause trouble, you get rid of them and nobody will complain, but posters usually only get better with time. If they've been around for a while, they probably contribute to the board and have maybe even started to become a recognizable part of the board's community. You probably lose more than you gain by getting rid of them without warning for 1 mistake.

I mean if he was really that bad of a poster, you would think he would have gotten banned ages ago.