1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WaPo] Candace Owens Is the New Face of Black Conservatism: But what does that really mean?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 9, 2019.

1. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

I'd say that this is not nearly as true now, as it was 60-70 years ago. Some people (I'm not saying you) seem to think that we still live in the era of Jim Crow.

You have to look at things like: how much does the culture value education? How much does the culture sanction (punish/proscribe) having children before marriage? Because those are the things that heavily influence economic outcomes.

I did study the civil rights era quite a bit when I was at uni. But it's been awhile.

I don't expect that we will solve these issues here of course. But it is important to start asking the right questions.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We definitely don't live in Jim Crow, but post Black presidency, we still live in an era of driving while black and systemic redlining.

I would say my personal values are more conservative than my public expectations. I would rather have higher EITC thresholds than an outright UBI, but I'd think twice if it meant maintaining a class with a low dignity of work. I'm still working so I'll leave it at that.

The 1700s-1900s period is definitely an interesting read if you like American history.

MiddleMan likes this.
  3. mick fry

mick fry Member

I thought her and Charlie Kirk had a thing going but I guess not.

And yes Candace is pretty sweet.
    [​IMG]

MiddleMan likes this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As a side note, the college exam scandal highlights the differences between rich and poor at a time when the supreme court is deliberating over a racial proxy issue regarding uni exam requirements.

MiddleMan likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I feel like twitter is the proper place to annouce [sic] to everyone that I’m getting married....

[​IMG]

6. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

The girl who swirls! :D Yes she is pretty hot. But the guy.....getting married in the 21st in America. What are you thinking? o_O (Of course, maybe she makes more than he does.)

mick fry likes this.
  7. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Seen the podcast it went downhill when they talked about climate change.

Nook likes this.
  8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Thomas Sowell, Clarence Thomas, Kent Hamblin. Michael Steele was a weirdly viable contender but the RNC had administrative issues he wasn't equipped to address.