1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wade Miller

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DrewP, Feb 23, 2005.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

A player's only a "bust" if you've invested heavily in him, either draft pick wise or cash wise or value wise, or a minor league player who's considered a top prospect. The BoSox and their 100 million+ salary won't even notice Wade's 1.5m. So there's only upside for them, nothing lost if he doesn't pan out. Would you call Burba a bust if he doesn't produce with the Stros?

2. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

So, Wade Miller is good enpugh for the GM who just won the 2004 World Series, but he wasn't good enough for the Astros to keep.

3. msn

msn Member

Were the GM of the Astros to have at his disposal the same budget the GM of the 2004 World Champions, I'd bet Wade would still be an Astro.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I had heard Wade being referred to as a mid-season pickup. In other words, the Sox are expecting him to be back until June or July. I am also leaning towards thinking that the Astros are right.

5. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

If its a money issue, then its a joke that we couldnt afford to take a chance on him for 4.2 million for one year...if its a decision based on we dont think he can pitch this year, then its a different story

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Or, most likely, it's a combination of the two. We can afford one year, 4.2 million, but do we want to waste that on a player who could very possibly not be fully recovered?

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Not when Wade wasn't going to be ready to pitch until 2-3 months into the season (per Gammons article the other day).

8. msn

msn Member

Thank you for stating it more clearly than I did.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2008877

Pitcher won't be ready until May
    Associated Press

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Wade Miller expects to miss the first month of the season with the Boston Red Sox while he rehabilitates from a shoulder injury.

He spent the last three months of last season on the disabled list with Houston, and the Red Sox -- hoping Miller could improve a rotation that lost Pedro Martinez and Derek Lowe -- signed him as a free agent.

"I know I don't want to miss that much time again," Miller said Wednesday. "So I decided to take it slow now and miss the beginning of the season and, hopefully, come back for the last five months."

Early in spring training he hoped he might be ready when the regular season starts on April 3.

"I don't think that's going to happen now," he said. "Obviously, I was hoping to make it, but you set a goal and then it didn't quite happen because of weather or whatnot and it just didn't work out."

Curt Schilling may not be ready for the start of the season either, but with three off days in the first 10 days of the season, Boston can manage with its other four starters -- David Wells, Matt Clement, Tim Wakefield and Bronson Arroyo.

Miller was a combined 45-25 with Houston before a frayed rotator cuff in his right shoulder limited him to 15 games last season. He was 7-7 with a 3.35 ERA.

He said his shoulder feels strong but he's thrown only fastballs at 80 percent of his top speed and needs to work on his mechanics. He had planned to pitch off a mound Tuesday, but rain then and on Wednesday pushed that back to Thursday.

He played catch from about 120 feet Tuesday during a drizzle.

"I feel very good today," Miller said. "I wish it wasn't so bad outside."

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Way to go Dreighton. Not only did you let him go, you made him not ready for Opening Day. Now we're gonna have the Curse transferred to us. :mad:

11. MadMax

:D that seriously never gets old!

Tim Purpuuurra didn't like Millar because he asked to borrow money at McDonald's once. Purpuurssaa was like, "Hey...talk to Dreighton about it." And since Dreighton is so cheap he wouldn't give him the burger. That's all it would have taken for Millar to stick around!! Fools!!!

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I just read the other day that Horatio Ramirez had the similiar condition (frayed rotator cuff), but he decided to have surgery for it after 9 starts last year... and low and behold, he's back looking better than ever in ST.

I'm pretty sure the Astros, at some point, wanted Miller to go ahead and have the surgery... but Wade (with his prime arbitration years almost up), probably decided that shoulder surgery (always a risky proposition) would hamper his "value" to the point that his career would be in jeopardy.

As I said before, I'd be seriously suprised if Wade made it thru the entire year, whenever he comes back. I'm sure he'll be great at first... but the shoulder is still injured, and its only a matter of time before he'll have to sit again.

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Give me one of the best offenses in baseball and I'll win more games than Redding too.

14. msn

msn Member

I bet Shane Reynolds, Dennis Eckersley, and Jesse Orosco each win the same number of major league games as Tim Redding this year. Cy Young, too.

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Don't you guys know by now that if you question any move the Astros make you're not a real fan?

We didn't need Miller! We've got Pete Munro!! Relax guys, and enjoy the baseball season. Anything could happen, Redding could win 20 for all we know. :)

16. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Drizzle? Is that ebonics for a drill?

How would you describe "a fine, gentle, misty rain" ebonically?

(AB, there is some prime material for you :D )

17. fya

fya Member

"Redding could win 20 for all we know."

And the cubs will finally win a WS.

18. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

drizzizzle?

19. MadMax

not so. i question moves they make. but this was a guy who missed 3 months last season with arm problems. not groin problems. not a sore toe. arm problems. the immediate reaction was, Drayton is cheap...here's another one gone. that doesn't tell the story here at all. and this is another instance of those ASSumptions.

20. msn

msn Member

What is a "real fan"? I've met real fans and real stupid fans, but they were always "real fans".