1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VSPAN could barely contain himself on the Bench !!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zcity, Nov 15, 2006.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are the one bringing up international competition to show that Europeans are more experienced and thus more ready to play. Your position completely ignores the reality that NBA all-stars (in addition to the kids) routinely get beat by lesser European teams in international competition as well. This has more to do with all-star teams being composed of strangers, less cohesive, and having to adjust to FIBA rules and less to do with proving how VSpan is more NBA ready as a rookie than Sammy was.

On the other point, you said the Rockets would be better to go after a (currently) 26 year-old point guard with no shot over the first pick in the draft next year - one (currently) 18 year-old Greg Oden.

I do appreciate the personal insults. It is true, however, I have long struggled with reading comprehension. The medication makes it better but it is still a challenge. I had to drop out of college because of it.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I agree completely. Hindsight is a huge portion. That's why I'm making it- it's based on historical evidence.

The hindsight is this: decades of historical evidence, not to mention, common sense, that a mature 22 year old American college player, who excelled at the highest levels of the American game throughout his entire life, is going to be more likely to make an immediate, short term impact in the American professional game, and have a shorter development period, than a comparable European player who has rarely played outside the continent and whose exposure to the American game (and the life in the US in general) comes from watching TV.

I don't understand why this argument is difficult to accept. What if I said that Greg Oden would have a shorter transition period at Panthanikos than Spanoulis had last year? You would laugh at that suggestion. I mean, it is true that frequently, guys who wash out of the NBA go over to Europe and become stars and sometimes dominate, like Trajan Langdon or an ancient Bob McAdoo - but that's not a good analogue here.

#402 SamFisher, Nov 22, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  3. rimbaud

Supporting Member

I missed this gem earlier. Now you are talking about "on average"? Do you really want to argue that Europeans have been better rookies (on average) than NCAA guys?

The best modern European rookie I can think of was Gasol - who put up 17 per. Who else is there?

4. SpanWagon

SpanWagon Member

You completely missed the point of my last post.
    Sam Cassell is the exception, not the norm.
    Again, take a look at the guys who were picked before him.

I'd bet that the same would hold true in this year's draft.
    There maybe a couple guys in the 10-20 pick range who prove they belong from the start, but there's also a higher bust potential.
    On the other hand if you brought a guy like Diamantidis over, while he wouldn't have as high a ceiling, he would have a higher probability of being a solid contributor.

Again this is purely based on my personal observations on Eurobasket and the NCAA. I doubt I'll be able to convince you, and I don't think there's a clear cut answer (there's just too many variables).
    I suspect that you're a big Rockets fan so you really wouldn't mind being proven somwhat wrong by a good contribution from Spanoulis.

And on that note, enjoy tonight's game and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

5. SpanWagon

SpanWagon Member

Well I only recently started closely following the Rockets so you'll have to excuse my perception of what they need to do going forward if I'm wrong.

IMO the Rockets are a team that are built to make a run over the next 3 to 4 years. To get to the next level they need a solid core of supporting players, not 18 year olds. Yao and T-Mac seem to be a championship caliber one two punch; the rest of the team not so much (as of yet).

Diamantidis (the octapus man) would be an immediate upgrade to the backcourt. He is a shutdown perimeter defender akin to Ron Artest without any of the baggage and posseses very good ball handling skills and court presense.
    While his shot is not great, it's not as bad as you suggest. (Have you ever seen him play?) He's a better shooter than V-Span (which I realize isn't saying much.).

Well I did say "may have...." to take some of the edge off. :p
    And if it's true then it's not really an insult is it. ;)

6. SpanWagon

SpanWagon Member

You missed this "gem" earlier because you were too busy grasping at straws.

Let me break it down for you one last time so that there's no confusion.
    The term "European rookie" in the context we're using it here is an established and successfull veteran player in a strong European league in his mid twenties.
    The word rookie only applies because it will be his first season in the NBA.

So again, agree to disagree and have a Happy Thanksgiving. :)

7. rimbaud

Supporting Member

I hate to tell you but there is no such thing as medication to improve reading comprehension.

Quickly on others:

Experience with Rockets has nothing to do with thinking and older, worse Diamantidis (yes, I have seen him play and I have read scouting reports about him as well) over someone as highly regarded and at such great size as Oden, "The Next David Robinson".

College vs Euro rookies, on average:

It is not agreeing to disagree because the numbers are way against you. There have been far more "instant success" NCAA (and high school) rookies in the last 5-10 years than Euro. Most Europeans need at least a year of major adjustment (a young Nowitzki or old Ginobili) to really pay off. Obviously, though, Europeans have come a long way and I am not trying to say that they suck or anything. Just a different game.

8. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Way to go VSpan..make that big damn splash..and we can sit around babbling like we always do.................

GO ROCKETS!! 8-4?.I'll take it!!!

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is good to be the king....

:D

DD

10. highfly

highfly Member

Since people mentioned Diamantidis and other euro players let me grasp the opportunity and present you with Spanoulis' teamates in the Greek national team.

Vassilis is a part of a very nice rotation in the guards spots. The other players in Greece's perimeter are Theo Papaloukas, Dimitris Diamantidis, Nikos Zisis and Nikos Hatzivretas. All of them have very good skills, I think the first three have nba potential.

Iam posting video clips of Diamantidis -the guy that was mentioned before in this thread- and Papaloukas euroleague final four mvp of last year, when he won the championship as well.

Diamantidis:

-makes 3-pointer over Tony Parker in European Championship semi-finals against France. Greece advances to finals (amazing game!!)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aSMqgwNlPmQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aSMqgwNlPmQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

11. highfly

highfly Member

Diamantidis pt 2

-makes 3-pointer against arch-rival Olympiacos team last month:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9eRZbI38Nso"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9eRZbI38Nso" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

12. highfly

highfly Member

Diamantidis pt 3

-blocks Chris Paul (Greece-vs USA game)

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/seA_wEZdX50"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/seA_wEZdX50" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

13. highfly

highfly Member

Diamantidis pt 4

-nice photo sequence

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QOcjsDaCon4"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QOcjsDaCon4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

14. highfly

highfly Member

Papaloukas,

this clip shows highlight from his CSSKA Moscow team.

Sums up his game nicely, enjoy :D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Plrxg2AvXvs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Plrxg2AvXvs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

15. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Through 11 games played:
    Span: 11 mpg, 3.7 ppg, 36% 2, 27% 3, 1.1 rpg, .9 apg, 1.27 to, .45 spg
    Sam: 13 mpg, 5.7 ppg, 44% 2, 38% 3, 2.5 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.6 to, .9 spg

16. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

With all due respects, Ginobili is from Argentina. Tony Parker is a better fit perhaps? ;)

17. rimbaud

Supporting Member

I know Ginobili's nationality but, with all due respect, he was playing in the Italian league for four years before joining the NBA. As such, I consider him to have come out of the European system (also considering that Argentina uses FIBA rules as well).

PS - Parker is not a better fit because he was 19. I used Ginobili as an "old", established Euro league MVP to make my point about adjustment phase.