1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VSPAN could barely contain himself on the Bench !!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zcity, Nov 15, 2006.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Interesting, thanks for that.

I still think V-Span will be playing on a short leash...as he should...but I do like the way he is more passing oriented...and he will probably play very well with Yao, Padget, Hayes and Tmac, players that move without the ball....

We shall see....

DD

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

9 games: 11.7 ppg 1.2 apg 1.8 rpg, 46% 2pts 26% 3pts.

That is very well? :confused:

Gosh that makes Sammy's 18 ppg over two years of playing at the pinnacle of college basketball during it's peak era look positively awful in comparison....if you're a moron.

One would suspect that you've looked like an idiot enough times on this board to retain your composure.

Disappointing.

3. SpanWagon

SpanWagon Member

The perenial POWERHOUSE Panathinaikos teams of the 90s featured a young Antonio Davis, Dominique Wilkins, Dino Radja, Stojko Vrankovic, and a couple other players who had short stints in the NBA.
    Considering they are coached by Europe's undisputed best coach Željko Obradović, I am quite confident with their experience they could have easily dispatched of a college team.

The comparison of Cassell to V-Span using the above team makes no sense however.
    The comparison needs to be of the current Panathinaikos/Greek National team vs. the ACC of the 90s to be valid.
    Trust me when I say that using FIBA rules it wouldn't even be close.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I love to see V-Span get more PT as the year progress and see how he develops. But to say at this moment that he is more prepared to play in the NBA than Sam Cassel was in his rookie season is rediculous for TWO glaringly obvious reasons.

One, Cassel rookie season in the NBA is establish. Its proven. While his stats wasnt spectacular or eye popping, it clearly established that he was ready, willing and fearless and most importantly a big contributer to an NBA championship team.

second, while V-Span undoubtably has potential, his readiness, ability to contribute, consistency, effectiveness are all at the moment UNPROVEN. Moreover, despite being 25 and having international/euroleague experience, the question of whether his game is ready to translate immediately or effectively to the NBA is still very much in doubt. If it were not he would undoubtably been drafted earlier than the 50ths pick in the second round.

It is a long season and we've still got a ways to go, so V-Span may indeed prove he is a more ready player than Cassel was in his rookie season was before the year is over... but i wouldnt bet on it.

5. DaDakota

Whatever dude ! You are simply wrong as usual. Sam the "My opinions are INDISPUTABLE" Fisher......talking out your bungy hole as usual.

We shall see who is right and who is wrong as V-Span plays more and more....and trust me, it will be you who is getting the whipping....again !

DD

6. SamFisher

....but we're not talking about using FIBA rules, are we?

We're talking about what it closer to the NBA...and the easy answer, if you watched the ACC in the mid 90's is, the ACC in the mid 90's - that's why it produced so many NBA players.

7. DaDakota

Yes the ACC was a great conference at that time and had many great players.

But, if you took the best ACC team at that time and had them play a series against a professional Euro league team, are you saying the ACC would win?

Because I think the professional players would expose the college kids for what they really are.....KIDS !

DD

8. SamFisher

My opinions are QUITE disputable - just not with bullsh-t, poorly thought out arguments: e.g. you trying to cite Petrovic in support of your argument, that is just a dumb thing to do, considering that Petrovic had a much better resume- and even he sat for a year or two.

As I said before, You might even be right, just because you see X, so you post Y, in depressingly predictable fashion, and make up reasons for it after the fact. Classic MMQB....very shallow. That's why I laugh at you making silly things up about Spanoulis being some sort of NBA ready prodigy compared to Cassell, who was about as "NBA ready" as it gets...whatever that means. I mean you've been whining off and on that Malick Freaking Badiane is NBA ready and needs playing time, lol. Not because he is, but because you saw X, so you demanded Y.

Anyway, you think I will be mad if he or the ROckets do well? I don't think so.

9. SamFisher

No, I'm saying that it's harder to score 18 ppg for two years and be an All ACC player, playing amongst a forest of future NBA vets, starters, All-stars and even HOF players, in the early 90's than it was to score 10 ppg for Panthanaikos. And yes, I feel that a player with a top notch pedigree like Cassell had coming out of college is better prepared to play in the NBA than some dude who's never even been to the US before this year.

And yes, I think some of those Duke or UNC teams would spank a lot of european teams - of course top rank Euro teams usually subsist on NBA rejects like Trajan Langdon - so what would that prove? That the ACC > ACC?

#349 SamFisher, Nov 20, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  10. SpanWagon

SpanWagon Member

Panathinaikos' level of play has been at a higher level of play than any collegiate conference for at least over a decade.
    Most of that is due to experience moreso than talent.

I'm fairly confident that anyone who ha followed FIBA and the NCAA would agree with me.

11. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

you cant compare the two. ones a professional league, the other is amatuer.

12. SamFisher

Then why does Panthanaikos produce fewer NBA players than the ACC did in the 1990's?

13. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair, NBA Elite teams have been losing to Euro teams for the past ten years...but that doesn't mean VSpan is more NBA ready than Chris Paul.

I also don't think that Duke with Laettner, the Hills, and Bobby Hurley would get killed by the current Panathinaikos team if they played by NCAA or NBA rules.

14. ltuo

ltuo Member

The arguments are interesting. I'm just happy Vspan played today! Hope he can make more contributions next game.

15. SpanWagon

SpanWagon Member

1. Their main objective is not to produce players for the NBA.
    2. They don't have as much young talent.
    3. Scouting the Euro clubs has only recently become popular.
    4. Their are several more players who are good enough for the NBA who aren't willing to come because:
    ..........a. they don't want to make the on and off the court adjustment of playing in the U.S.
    ..........b. they don't want to forego lucrative deals they've got with European clubs.

Here is the team the U.S. sent to Argentina for the 2005 under 21 basketball championship:

NAME POS HGT WGT DOB YOG SCHOOL/HOMETOWN

Mardy Collins G 6-6 205 08/04/84 2006 Temple / Philadelphia, PA

Glen Davis F 6-9 310 01/01/86 2008 Louisiana State / Baton Rouge, LA

Nick Fazekas F 6-11 225 06/17/85 2007 Nevada / Arvada, CO

Rudy Gay F 6-9 220 08/17/86 2008 Connecticut / Baltimore, MD

Justin Gray G 6‑2 185 03/31/84 2006 Wake Forest / Charlotte, NC

Taj Gray F 6-9 238 03/14/84 2006 Oklahoma / Wichita, KS

Allan Ray G 6-2 200 06/17/84 2006 Villanova / Bronx, NY

J.J. Redick G 6-4 190 06/24/84 2006 Duke / Roanoke, VA

Terrence Roberts F 6-9 228 08/14/85 2007 Syracuse / Jersey City, NJ

Rajon Rondo G 6-1 171 02/22/86 2008 Kentucky / Louisville, KY

Marcus Williams G 6-3 205 12/03/85 2007 Connecticut / Los Angeles, CA

Curtis Withers F 6-8 230 08/02/84 2006 Charlotte / Charlotte, NC

Probably by far the most talented team in the tournament, this team couldn't even make it out of the quarterfinals because the guys they were playing against already have 3 and 4 years pro experience.

16. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Whoa... that team had Gay, Gray, Gray and Ray?

17. DaDakota

Thank You !!

This is exactly what I am saying that playing 3 or 4 years of PROFESSIONAL ball in a PROFESSIONAL league is better than playing 4 years of college ball.

DD

18. SamFisher

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not citing the ACC in 2005, I'm very distinctly and specifically only talking about the one's in the mid 1990's, when Cassell played.

College teams in 1995, especially in powerhouse conferences >>>>> college teams in 2005.

Why? Because in 1995 (and more imporatnly 1993 when Cassell played), you rarely had the problem with players declaring early or skipping college altogether...at most players woudl declare after their Junior (third or fourth) year of college...and that was only the elite elite elite players.

You know what happened in 1995? Kevin Garnett declared for the NBA draft, and the floodgates opened both with underclassmen and high schoolers That is why the 2005 college all star team isn't the same as the 1995 one.

Look at those guys on that team you listed, now imagine who would have played on it had players stayed in college all four years, like they did back in the early 1990's:

Chris Paul
    Dwight Howard
    Ben Gordon
    Chris Bosh
    Amare Stoudemire
    LeBron James

....and that's just off the top of my head.

The college game has changed IMMENSELY in the past decade - and it has not been for the better...this is pretty obvious to anybody who has followed it, mostly because players either skip college or don't stay as long. 2005 Rudy Gay wouldn't have even made an all ACC team in 1993 - he would just be a bit player.

And that is EXACTLY why you are missing the point. See above.

#358 SamFisher, Nov 20, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This past Summer the US sent PROFESSIONAL all-stars to play in International competition and, despite having the most talent, they did not win the tournament. I suppose the NBA is inferior to Europe?

Anytime you send a group of strangers to play in a different league against teams that have been playing together for a while, they are at a huge disadvantage.

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

lol. We should start calling V-Span V for Franchise! (yes , I know it technically doesn't work, but whatever )