1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VSPAN could barely contain himself on the Bench !!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zcity, Nov 15, 2006.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't say that. I said that you could not say VSpan was more NBA ready than Cassell because of one season played at Greece's highest level (as a role player) vs Cassell's solid college career (despite obvious question marks). In 1993 VSpan would not have been drafted. Why did Paul Pierce fall? Van Excel? Michael Redd? It happens. VSpan did not fall and would have never been a first round pick because he was not as developed and prior to last year had not played against the highest competition.

My second point was, even with Cassell being more proven, more NBA ready, and a huge part of our playoff success his rookie year - it took him a while to become part of the rotation. He was brought along slowly because he was on a good team.

VSpan has a ton of adjustments to make outside of basketball, much less on the court. Also - look at other rookies. Foye, for example, as another tweener. Many expected him to be rookie of the year, he had an amazing Summer League, a solid preseason, and is now playing like crap - shooting 30% overall and 10% from threes. He was clearly more NBA ready than VSpan and is not in the rotation yet for a poor Minny team. He obviously doesn't suck, but he clearly is not there yet.

I am with you that VSpan brings a huge amount of positive intangibles, toughness, and competetive fire that this team needs. He also has no shot, has had difficulty with the way the NB is called, and it is unknown how well he can penetrate against NBA starters. JVG sees his progress in those areas, we don't. I am hoping he is getting close to "acceptable" because, as I said, I agree that he brings all of those extras. JVG himself said hat he thinks he has the qualities to improve and become a player. Because of what he has said about VSpan (repeatedly) I think that he likes him. Before he came over, JVG was mostly negative and skeptical about his game...so he has already changed his stance once. So I have a feeling he wants to be able to play him but must feel he is not there yet.

See - now I am distracting from my only point in the beginning - don't say VSpan was more NBA ready than Cassell.

2. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

HOLY Crapaccino - How did my small innocent post about V-span and my observations from my center court seat about his chomping at the bit to get in the game - evolve to this MONSTER TOPIC ????

Well, it's pretty obvious.

V-Span is the kind of players Fans love to watch and to root for. Someone who plays for the love of the game, with intensity, passion and a will to win.

Some of these intangibles are MISSING from other players who are talented and are getting PT currently.

This will to win characteristic is one that usually shows up in the 4th quarter when true NBA stars step it up a notch.

Vspan by the end of the season will be in the game in the 4th quarter. He may not start the game - but he will finish it.

Just like Casell - when he was a Rocket - Kenny started - Sam finished.

You want the player with the spirit, fire, passion and will to win in the game when it come to 4th quarter winnin' time !!!!

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I agree with that. VSpan vibrates WINNER.

4. asdf

asdf New Member

I am from greece and i would like to point out some things that people
    overlook . Before joining the nba Spanoulis had the role
    of a scorer on the teams he played. When he played with Marousi he had

the most talent on the team and in order for them to win he HAD to play a

shoot first style. Then he joined PAO one of the 3-4 best team in Europe the

last decade and while no one expected it, again he became one of the top

scorers . While he had court vision he was not a pass first kind of player.

Considering the above to be quite frankly i did not think that he could make it

in the NBA i thought his game would not "translate" well. He would not be able

to play the the role of th shouting guard scorer he had been playing until then

Then at the World Championships he started playing differently. Im sure

he was thinking of the nba and the role he would have to play on the

Rockets.

People in the Us have the impression that he is a pass first kind of a player

but frankly he has only been that way from the WC and onwards.

This is what people must understand from the moment he got the contract

he has been making adjustments so that he can contribute meaningfully.

What i think and its only my opinion is that the reason he was so erratic

during the preseason was because he was trying to see what he could get

away with and what works and what doesn't i don't think he will play as

"crazy" during the season.

One last thing i think it would have been better for him psychologically to

have played in a tough game marking a good player from the start. While he

gives me the impression that he would not be intimidated or afraid of guarding

anybody. He gives me the impression that if he

doesn't play for many games he might get less confident and fear that with

one bad performance he might gets benched indefinitely.

5. highfly

highfly Member

Hi all,
    I've been visiting this forum for a while, and in this topic I side with people saying that Spanoulis (and Novak) need to get a chance to show their skills and then get criticized. I also hope they don't lose their confidence during this "ice age" period.

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

JVG sucks

keep this thread up

7. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

... :rolleyes:

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to make you feel stupid. If I was I would have simply called you another idiot poster. But you clearly said let him earn it and on that point I say again yes let him earn it but on the court. When the Rockets are struggling and all hell is breaking out give Vspan a shot.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Which was precisely mine as well.

10. IRockU

IRockU Member

More than 300 posts for a rookie! This clearly shows who is the guy in our team people identify with!

Go on Span!!!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And something I disagree with, and is impossible to prove one way or the other.

Both are just opinions, but as you said earlier, "I might be right"......

Sam, you have got to do better than that in your sig...those I was pretty accurate in my predictions.

:D

DD

#311 DaDakota, Nov 20, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  12. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

boy, it's really fun watching two great posters (of whom I have a lot of respect to both) going at it like that... that's just great spirit..

Sam and DD, very smart signatures! maybe we should have a poll to figure out which one is better.. :cool:
    what's really cool is that both of y'all are using concrete information to support your "bashing" of one another..

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is all in good fun......

I don't mind having a bit of a laugh, or even being the butt end of the laugh - which is good because I really liked Langhi !!

:D

Sam is a very good poster, I respect his opinion, but he preaches a lot, and in the end it is just an opinion !

Wait a minute here, maybe I was talking about me......?????

;)

That could be the whole issue....we are the SAME !!!

ARRRRGHHHHH !!!

DD

14. jopatmc

After 100 rounds

Sam Fischer 1000
    DaDakota 1000

Round 101 coming up.

15. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

welcome asdf :eek:

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

it's definetly time to try something different in the rotation. The current one just isn't working. We can't compete more than 36min a game.

Stick in Wells, or Novak somewhere...hell even Vspan! SOMETHING.....

Use what we have on the bench!

17. zcity

How bout' some love for the original poster ?

I may not post a "ton"

But it's Quality over Quantity !!!!!

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps I am stupid because I still don't understand how "let him earn it" blew my whole case about Cassell being better prepared as a rookie than VSpan.

DaDa,

Seriously, you are going overboard. It is impossible to prove? From what you have seen in preseason (which would make him look better), in what areas is VSpan better than Cassell as a rookie?

Shooting - no
    Penetration - probably not (Cassell was a driving fool)
    Court vision - yes, VSpan seems better here
    Handle - Sammy turned it over a lot but VSpan put up over 4 in 20 minutes in the preseason
    Defense - most likely VSpan but Cassell was not bad as a rookie and almost had a steal a game in 17 minutes
    Intangibles - Cassell was fearless, feisty, and later in the year was clutch. VSpan is feisty, often hesitant, has too inconsistent a shot to be clutch (but could be otherwise).

19. jopatmc

Shooting - no.
    Penetration - a wash at worst. VSpan is every bit the penetrator that Sam was, and maybe more. But it is at least a wash.
    Handle - same. VSpan got credit for several turnovers that were really the fault of teammates not looking for the ball.
    Defense-no question VSpan.
    Intangibles-at least even, probably favors VSpan. Sam was playing alongside Hakeem. VSpan can bring even more playing alongside Yao AND Tmac.

20. zcity

Repeat After me:

VSPAN WILL PLAY TONIGHT

VSPAN WILL PLAY TONIGHT

VSPAN WILL PLAY TONIGHT

VSPAN WILL PLAY TONIGHT

VSPAN WILL PLAY TONIGHT

VSPAN WILL PLAY TONIGHT