1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vrabel interviewing for 49ers DC

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DieHard Rocket, Jan 19, 2016.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a> linebacker coach Mike Vrabel Interviewing With the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/49ers?src=hash">#49ers</a> <a href="https://t.co/xei6eyTHcb">https://t.co/xei6eyTHcb</a> <a href="https://t.co/gtpQ7mjUm4">pic.twitter.com/gtpQ7mjUm4</a></p>&mdash; State of the Texans (@SOTTexans) <a href="https://twitter.com/SOTTexans/status/689449416185413632">January 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. gatsby

gatsby Member

No!!!...........

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

That sucks...

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Hard Knocks effect

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Don't go Vrabel your going to inherit a watt clowney combo once crennel leaves. You don't want to go to the 49ers they don't got no pieces on defense.

6. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I know he was really cool on Hardknocks, but would this really be a big deal?

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

people think he's good because he looks tough and yells/curses a lot.

8. conquistador#11

whatevs vrabel. we'll just pick up the dude who deflated balls for the patriots.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You're just full of this crap today. Again, were you in the locker room and/or do you have any inside knowledge? Have you been in the meeting room?

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Also, the development of Merciless and, over the course of this year, Simon and McKinney. And when he's been healthy, Clowney has been beastly. All on Vrabel's watch.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Nope lol

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Too early to tell. He was a very smart player so people assume it translates to coaching. You gotta give him a couple more years at this level to see how good he really is.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I didn't deny that he was good. I like him too. Just saying that he looks/acts the part.

14. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

don't know who gets more credit, but the lb position looked a lot better this year than it has in a while

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember before the season people were saying Mercilus was benefiting the most from Vrabel's coaching. And lo and behold, the guy has easily the best season of his career.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

You could also add that Brian Cushing fully bounced back under him and is once again a premiere ILB after many thought he would never be the same post-injury.

But yeah, Mercilus is definitely the top bullet point on Vrabel's resume.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. This sucks.

But congrats to Vrabel for getting his name out there....

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I like Vrabel, but I was fairly certain he'd get a DC job this year or next at the latest. Good reputation, strong personality, high performing team this year.

Hell, the Pats will need one soon enough. I thought Matt Patricia might get a HC opportunity this offseason. Will all the spots filled, maybe next

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's way too early to give him the credit for all that. Could be Cushing is just healthy. Could be Romeo's scheme. Teams are too quick to get the hottest guy on the market without making sure it's not just hype.

20. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Any word on their other candidates? Hopefully someone more qualified and we'll get to hang on to Vrab for another season or 2..

I think he's a great position coach with potential, but honestly don't think he's ready to be a DC... Ideally Romeo is grooming him to be ready just as he decides to step down, but it rarely works out that conveniently. If York and Baalke think he's their guy, then congrats to him, but hopefully he gets beat out and no other teams come calling either.