1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Young = the natural?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by SamFisher, Aug 31, 2003.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I know its late in the game against a tired, not very good NMSU team, but is anybody watching this? Jesus H. Christ he is a freaking bad mofo!

He is such a smooth runner, and his one throw looked like a freaking rocket shot into the upper atmosphere.

If I'm Chance Mock, I'm going to enjoy every second that I am the UT starter, caue it ain't going to be for long if VY is this good.

2. underoverup

underoverup Member

Sweet VY is already seeing some time out there to impress the fans! I wish I could check him out. :(

3. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I was just about to start a thread on this game too, he is defintely something special. I'm not ready to claim he is is next Mike Vick, hes going to have to do this against an respectable team before I give him that title but he defintely looked like the next Mike Vick tonight.

BTW Rodrqiue Wright is an absolute stud too, he could play in the NFL today as a soph, kid is sick.

Houston High School football is the best!

4. junglerules

junglerules Member

You mean I wasn't playing a video game?? Selvin Young really did return a punt and a kick for TD's? Texas really did have two interceptions returned for TD's? Vincent Young really did run for 65 yards and 2 TD's in two series?

Damn. I'm now speechless. :)

Can't wait to see how the Young-Mock situation plays out over the span of a season, and how it's handled vs. more talented teams. i.e. I wonder if Young sits against OU like Benson had to his freshman yr. I hope Mack Brown learned his lesson about that.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

All I know is that I'm going to have to go on to NCAA 2004 and start editing Vincent Young's player ratings, shi-t, they have him at like a high 70 or a low 80 for speed, what a joke!

I don't know what will happen vs. OU, but I took VY off the bench in that game on NCAA 2004 bc Chance threw two ints and he sparked a huge rally after trailing early..

6. underoverup

underoverup Member

WOW! :eek:

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

There has been a Black Jesus spotting in Austin.

8. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Talented as he may be, it will take a herculean effort to emerge from the shadow of Victor Alvarez, the world's hottest young phenom.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man,

Why is it that only Mack Brown can keep his best quarterbacks nailed to the bench?

Mock is a nice guy, but V. Young is special.

DD

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Damn Skippy.

Selvin Young is a product of Jersey Village, just like yours truely.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Young runs like half gazelle and half mack truck. Did you see that stiff arm he gave that DB? He is something special alright.

I thought Mock played a great game for the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I was thinking "no QB controversy this year"....until Young came in. That first drive looked like something out of NCAA 2004.

Wow!

12. mduke

mduke Member

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Vince looked like he was jerking around out there.

I have no idea what Chance was doing, but I think he deserves to start. He's been at UT for 3 years.

However, a good portion of the UT offense and others who have watched practice will tell you that Vincent Young is not that far behind Chance and that the alleged qb "competition" was bull****.

14. gr8-1

Also agree with the Rod Wright/nfl thing. Matter of fact, I think the whole front four of UT will play in the nfl one day.

15. JamesC

JamesC Member

Texas got off to a very slow start. Chance Mock looked like he was having a hard time out there even though it was probably just 1st game jitters. I was thinking if Chance cant get it going the crowd was gonna start screaming for V.Young.

Vincent Young does look like something special. It looked like he was running in slow motion but nobody could tackle him. Mack Brown had a glow in his eyes when Vince was out there doing his thing. We'll see how they perform next week against Arkansas.

16. haven

haven Member

Mock was flat out mediocre. He had trouble hitting a 6'5 target on anything other than the long tosses. He's supposedly athletic, but didn't really show much of it.

I'd like to see how Young can play in the medium range game before handing him the starting job... but Young looked like magic today. If he can run as well as it appears... defenses are screwed. Pick your poison... Young or the receivers.

17. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

It looked like VY was playing a different game than the rest of the people on the field. We've been hearing this kids name since he was a sophomore in HS and it was all legit. You know the term 'something special'? That is what he is. You could just tell it. I am a big believer in put the people on the field that give you the best chance to win. Chance Mock should be backing VY up. Chance did fine once he got the jitters out but OMG...Young was amazing.

Oh and I know the BBS is full of cynical people who just have to post a contrarian view...save it on this one. That was a spectacle to behold last night.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

My personal opinion is Chance Mock has little chance to move the ball against the Sooners but VY has a chance (no pun intended).

Mack better not suffer from slow trigger if Chance doesn't look on top of his game against the good teams, especially the Sooners.

With those weapons Chance and the traditional offense should be able to move it against 99% of the college teams, but against the top 1% defenses (Sooners, Ohio State, maybe Miami) you need special playmakers--a wicked mobile QB, or pro caliber quick release/completely mindfull-instinctual/accurate passing QB--Chris Simms wasn't this player I am real sure Chance Mock isn't either.

19. gr8-1

I'm thinking Mack will not play Vince in the next few blowouts. No QB controversy. :D

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sadly, that's just what I was thinking. His fax machine and email have probably been blowing up since about 9 last night.