1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Vince] Young and restless...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by KingCheetah, Jun 13, 2006.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

LOL MY COLLEGE IS BETTER THAN UR COLLEGE

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I am 10 years older than Mario Williams and have twice the toenails ~ Mario is falling apart at a very young age.

3. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Actually Im quite glad he's not on the Texans and their horrific offensive line.
    He would get absolutely killed here.

pooooor david carr.

4. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

Vince's mobility would largely negate the offensive line troubles.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

yes, because we all know how great david carr fared passing with a crappy o-line as the 2nd leading QB rusher in the league since 2003...

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Do you really believe Vince Young (sorry Megowi) and David Carr are equally talented in rushing?

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

There is this very low, but persistent, murmur the Titans might indeed still have interest in having a journeyman quarterback like Kerry Collins, Tommy Maddox or Jay Fiedler come in to compete with Billy Volek for the starting job. -- Nashville City Paper

8. Burzmali

Burzmali Member

You're implying that his rushing stats correlate into his mobility as a QB.

Erroneus.

9. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

True, John Elway wasn't fast, he was smart.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think Young's amazing rushing ability will be very much deluted in the NFL. The linemen are as fast as college linebackers, the linebackers are as fast as college DB's. The DB's are faster than Vince Young.

He will be hard to sack, no doubt, but I don't think he's going to be averaging 4 yards per carry like in college. And I don't think he's going to have any long runs like against Oklahoma State.

If VY is going to be great, it's going to have to be because of his arm, not his legs. The titans aren't going to be installing the shotgun zone-read offense any time soon, and even if they did, it would be a huge failure in the NFL.

I'm not hating, that's just my opinion.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the gap between #1 and #2 in QB rushing is monstrous. vick ran for about 900 yards in 2004, for example. carr ran for 300. they were 1 and 2 in the league. vick ran for 3x as many yards.

i believe VY will be far closer to vick than to carr in those numbers.

12. MadMax

name your bet. assuming he gets to start 5 games or more. i will personally guarantee you he will average over 4 yards per carry.

david carr has never averaged less than 4 yards per carry. michael vick has never averaged less than 5.9 yards per carry.

the things you're saying are the exact things people said about vick on the ground. he's proven them wrong ON THE GROUND. vick's problem is he can't beat you with his arm, and a pro QB has to be able to do that. i'm telling you i think VY is like Randall...he can beat you with both.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Max is right, that's a sucker bet. In the NFL, unlike college, they count sacks agaisnt your passing yards.

14. ima_drummer2k

I didn't realize that.

Max, all I'm saying is that Vince isn't going to be as dominant on the ground as he was in college. I'm willing to bet on it, but I don't really know how we could measure it.

How about this. I'll say David Carr will have a higher winning percentage in games he starts this year than Vince will in games he starts. I'm not sure if that's a good gauge, but it will be fun anyway. You name the terms.

15. MadMax

hey, don't change the bet on me!!! :D

i think the texans will likely be better than the titans this year. i do not believe, that at the end of their careers, david carr will be regarded as having been a better QB than VY will. VY is a rookie, and I fully expect him to struggle as a rookie. virtually every rookie QB does, on some level.

i don't think any great running QB is as dominant in the pros as he is on the college level. i agree with you there. but that doesn't mean they're neutralized. again, see vick and cunningham. see steve young. see john elway. all of these guys were effective for their teams on the ground. not every QB is capable of that. and i wouldn't choose running skills over passing skills for an NFL QB. but two guys with equal arms...i take the guy who can run better every time.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not only will he be not as dominant on the ground, but he won't be as good through the air, otherwise he'd be rushing for 1600 yards and 15 touchdowns and throwing for 3000+ with 40 touchdowns.

Honestly, you can say that for every single NFL player ever, from Hall of Famers to nobodies. Barry Sanders was much less dominant on the ground as he was in college. Of course he was still one of the top RB's ever, so I don't see what significance that has.

17. ima_drummer2k

The bottom line is that no one knows that. The reason I'm so defensive about all of this is there are a lot of people here who are SURE they know.

But at any rate, I'm really tired of arguing about it and I'm not going to do it anymore. It's frustrating because....well, it's not football season and I LIVE for football season. I'm a little grumpy during the offseason.

18. MadMax

all good. i'm not saying i know it. but i'm pretty confident in it as opinions go. i really think he's that special. he was taken 3rd in a draft where the "greatest prospect ever" and the "next gayle sayers" was taken 2nd. subjective, i know...but we'll see. i just think we're gonna regret it for the next 10 years or more.

19. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

My feelings exactly.

It wouldn't be such a big issue to me if VY wasn't a pure hometown boy. He wanted to stay in Texas and Houston. Just crazy IMO.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I think VY will start halfway through the season...I don't think the Titans have the luxury of not having VY out there...Halfway through the season, you'll know if its time to get him some work...

I can't say that I'm glad VY is a Titan, but at least we'll get to see how good he is twice a year...