1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Vince] Young and restless...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by KingCheetah, Jun 13, 2006.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Some Titans players and coaches recently said Young is more likely to begin playing sooner than later. They said the former University of Texas star, who was the first quarterback and the third player taken in April's draft, has impressed them with how quickly he has grasped the offense and its terminology, and with how he was unwilling to concede the starting job even when Steve McNair still was on the roster.

Young and restless, Vince looks like he wants the ball

Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher was simultaneously vague and specific earlier in the week when asked about rookie first-round draft choice Vince Young.

Fisher made it clear that Young will see the field this season, but he refused to provide details as to when or where that will happen.

One Titans coach privately said Young is driven to prove wrong critics who questioned his football intellect and game. The coach said Young has been spending extra hours in his playbook, preparing each day as if he'll get the call on opening day. There is a purpose to his stride, a seriousness in his tone.

Understandly, the Titans don't want to rush Young for fear of breaking his confidence or his spirit should he struggle early. But those close to Young contend that won't happen. He is not Ryan Leaf, a guy who's going to quit at the first sign of adversity. Study his background and you'll soon find someone who feeds off challenges, be it life or athletics.

link

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I hope VY doesn't see too much of the field this year. As much as I want to see him play, I see the value of letting him learn first (Palmer, McNair).

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I like Vince Young. He's a hometown guy who won the big one for my alma mater, and for that I will be eternally grateful to him. It was a great moment in UT football history, and I admire him.

That being said, a hundred virgins, a thousand lightning strikes, or a million dollars couldn't ever make me root for the Tennessee Traitors and their rug-wearing, hooker-chasing scumbag of an owner.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he turns out to be a monster, the Texans should be lambasted for passing him up, Carr or no Carr.

DD

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Unless Carr builds on the potential we saw in 2004 and guides this offense to a playoff berth. Or if Mario records 12 sacks and improves our defense.

6. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

A Supserstar QB is way better than 12 sacks.

7. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

A superstar QB is no doubt better then a DE, but don't knock DE/pass rushers too much. Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor changed games.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's not just 12 sacks though. A good pass rush can improve an entire defense. And when your defense was as bad as ours last year, you need all the help you can get.

Carr's shown potential under terrible coaching. Let's see what he can do with what has to be better coaching.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Let's be honest...if Reggie and/or VY are remotely close to what some people think they will become...then Mario and Carr both will have a lot of pressure to perform.

If the Texans win, it will be fine. But if they don't...and if VY absolutely shines and becomes the QB I think he'll be...then there will be constant second-guessing of this draft....and the national media will fuel the fire, because they'll always bring it up. Locally, it won't be pretty.

I'm rooting for VY to rock..and for the Texans to win.

10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Well my argument to that is what if you get good play out of Carr and Mario Williams.

Then you are getting good play from 2 positions instead of just one if you had drafted a QB.

11. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

This thread is awesome!!! Just what we needed to, another Vince Young D&D thread!!! I know that that I feel we haven't gone over this **** a billion times and I'd love nothing more than to rehash the same b****ing back and forth another billion times!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:rolleyes:

12. MadMax

different angle now. with less vitriol. it's just an after-the-fact assessment now.

13. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm actually a little bit interested in the NFL now. First time since the Oilers left Houston. I will definitely watch some Titan games this year if VY plays and now that Steve McNair has come to Baltimore, I'll pay a little more attention to the Ravens.

14. MadMax

and you'll have to tune in to watch mario, too, right? ;)

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he can stay on his toes...

;)

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Sheesh, no kidding.

The sad thing is that, as much as I don't want to, I'm probably going to be drawn into it eventually. Someone is probably going to say something to piss me off and I'm going to be sucked right back into it.

Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in!!!!

[​IMG]

#16 ima_drummer2k, Jun 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  17. underoverup

underoverup Member

what are you reading? cause the article just says that young is doing better than expected in their camps and the players seem to be supportive. do you really think people from houston don't want to talk about vince? :eek: :confused:

go vince! go texans! go houston! woo hoo! :)

18. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I groaned when I saw this thread, because in the end it will end up in debate about the Texans not taking Vince.

19. MadMax

is every article about VY gonna cause inferority complex symptoms among the staunchest texans fans.

20. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not so much. sorry.