1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[video] Soccer Flops

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Hilltopper, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RFh7jSS0vg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_RFh7jSS0vg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2FG1WAry08&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a2FG1WAry08&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEef1T_lqwA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fEef1T_lqwA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> :D

Still a SPUR FLOP:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kBxc-b6wlkY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kBxc-b6wlkY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Soccer flopping is the root cause of flopping in the NBA. European and South American players brought that crap to our league. At least we have a flopper of our own now in Scola. It's getting to the point where every team needs to have 1 flopper these days just to keep up with the rest of the league.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Karla Malone and Stockton were doing it well before the infusion of Euro's and S. Americans.

5. BrooksBall

From what I can recall, even though it existed before, it's gotten far worse over the past 15 years or so. Foreign players like Divac, Ginobili and Kirilenko have taken it to another level. It was like a surivival mechanism in the NBA for them coming from leagues where the play is much less physical. I also think soccer being so popular in the rest of the world had a major influence.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

True. But to say that it's soccer's fault when it happens in every contact sport is a bit disingenuous.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

At least it was against the Jazz.

8. BrooksBall

I agree. I overstated it.

How about this? The increase in foreign players coming to the NBA has led to an increase in flopping. And the reason this is true is likely related to the fact that soccer is so popular in the rest of the world and soccer is a sport where flopping occurs to an extreme level compared to other sports.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

NO, you just didn't have YouTube and access to so many games than 15 years. Also, refs weren't calling the game "so close" and they were also not assessing the "two-hand-touch" rule. :eek:

In football, it looks more blatant because there is so much more space between each player and their defender and another pair on the entire pitch. In basketball, the players are much more closer together and can't really fake it as much because there are THREE REFEREES, while in Soccer, it's a linesman REALLY FAR AWAY and the MAIN REFEREE is either blocked from view or can't see the entire play. :cool:

10. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

The call it "diving" usually in soccer.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

At least soccer is now issuing Yellow cards for obvious flops...even post facto.....

Too bad the NBA continues to sit on their hands.

DD

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

as a sign of protest after a flop, i'd like all 5 rockets on the floor at the time to synchronize a flop on the next possession just to show up the refs and their stupidity. one possession is worth making a mockery of the stupid refs. at least it'll get the attention of sportscenter and maybe even Stern.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Diving has been a sanctionable offense in soccer forever. To say that "flopping occurs to an extreme level" in soccer is an uninformed and incorrect statement. Just like in basketball, there are a few players who are notorious for doing it, but overall, it's not true to say that it occurs to "an extreme level".

14. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

What surprises me is the fact that in soccer, referees are usually pretty good when discerning between a flop and real contact. Sure, there are some incorrect calls but that's understandable. NBA refs on the other hand seem to be completely r****ded and have the memory of a goldfish.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jackie, if you are watching Portugal or Italy, you KNOW it happens on an extreme level.

:D

DD

16. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

or Argentina.

17. Ismail

Ismail Member

It's a lot easier to discern a soccer dive because contact is really restricted. A push is limited to the upper body and a dive from a tackle of the feet is really easy to tell (but generally is the one that refs bite for the most, that's understandable though). In Basketball, the speed of the game is so quick it's hard to tell where a person got hit. The second a player lowers his shoulder, a defender can just roll with the contact and get a charge. That's pretty hard to call -- did he flop or was he really hit by the shoulder?

Either way, the NBA can do a lot, lot more to tell whether or not a person is flopping. Before major international soccer tournaments, all the refs get called together for a conference on what to call and what not to call. Does the NBA do anything like this?

18. conquistador#11

if those evils refs in the association started calling fouls the way they should and stopped favoring the elite, then they the foreigners, would not feel the urge to sell a call.

I agree with emat though, how does a ref not know it's a flop? I heard they were given videos of the summer to look at, yet they keep falling for them. Reminds me of ric flair hitting the hulkster with a chair after the ref mysteriously lost sight after accidently injuring himself.

Threats to houston:

Tony Brothers
    the lady ref
    phil robinson

19. Man

Man Contributing Member

That last flop in the soccer flop was pretty funny/ridiculous

20. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I can agree with what you're saying but why do NBA refs fall for the same tricks from the same players time and time again?! :mad:

If I'm an NBA ref and I fall for a flop (thinking that that was the right call) and get to see after the game that the guy flopped, I would be very careful of giving him the benefit of the doubt in the future. If he'd fool me again, that's it, I wouldn't call a foul against his man unless I was sure he got fouled. No anticipation of contact, for one thing. Secondly, exaggerated contact wouldn't fly anymore either. A no-call from a referee is better than falling for a flop anyway, in my opinion. It's like the refs don't care, they just show up to collect their paychecks and go home. The NBA would instantly so much better if the refs were held accountable. :(