1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Royce White highlights vs. Texas Legends (2/13/2013)

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Crabdribbles, Feb 14, 2013.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Its good to have another quality poster join the bbs. Welcome!

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Royce is so good in certain area and so terrible in others, I have no idea if he's ever going to make it. I know he is playing at his normal playing weight but I think he needs to drop down to 250 to have a chance in this league. He is just too slow at the moment.

3. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Im happy just to see him back. I think if he just goes through the year without any more problems it is a victory. He has plenty of time to develope his game

4. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

He's out of shape, so it's tough to gauge his real game from this game. And he needs to work on his left. But, if I attribute the lackadaisical play style that he's showing to his weight rather than his real personality, he'd fit right in with our team. That's the biggest deal for me. We need to play fast and I hate lazy players. On the plus side, he's got great court vision, he makes the right passes though it does get sticky with him in transition, and at least his free throws show me that his shooting can improve. Oh, and those passes aren't going to fly with Asik manning the middle. Man, imagine the passing between Lin, Parsons, Harden, and White. Dang~ An interesting prospect for sure. I swear our team has so many swiss army knife type players.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Thanks for the vid, C-drib.

I'm not too impressed by Royce game. He has a good eye and can make the pass here and there, but often tries too hard to make that spectacular play. To think he wants minutes with the Rockets from the getgo. Still think he should be traded as soon as his value will get us anything.

6. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

I think he looks about the same as Summer League, possibly 5-10 lbs heavier. If you go back and watch some of his college highlights he looks about 20 lbs heavier.

7. amaru

amaru Member

Not as bad as I was expecting. Certainly has some weak points. Hopefully he is willing to work at them.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

White is an impressive ball-handler and passer. I think he'll be a plus-rebounder as well and he looks to have some great hands. But if he can't score and can't defend, on top of his mental issues, he's not going to succeed in the NBA.

9. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

In college rebounding and assists were his strengths.
    Both these skills translate most to the nba.

His toughness is what will give him the edge.

He has shown he will mice it up down low.

He also shown he has low post moves which we need.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Agree. He's in the association now. He should be looking to be BETTER than his college shape.

Udonis Haslem used to be a big fat body in the Eddy Curry mold in college. Now he's closer to Chris Bosh size cuz he valued keeping in shape. Can't say staying in shape HASNT helped him stay in the league.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just seems that Royce is too mentally pre-occupied with his ailments and getting concessions that its detracting focus away from just PHYSICAL self improvement. Yeah I'm saying his issues are not just a distraction to others, but a distraction upon himself.

Too many moving parts basically. I'm assuming he needs to have too many things clicking on the right cyliners in his daily regimen for him to devote free time to just basketball. Too much philantrophy, twitter, self worrying, excess travel times, all these things have to settle in place first before he takes that next step.

Which is why its disappointing he didnt keep himself in shape. He had the longest OFFSEASON of everyone. Offseason down time is critical for Royce, so he needs to take advantage of that.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Do you know that each game is archived on youtube in its entirety? The NBA is really cool to do that.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20130213/RGVTEX/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

12. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Lots of faults for sure, but man does he have elite court vision. If he can get in shape(physically and mentally) and work on his shot his court presence could make him very valuable.

Big ifs though.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good report on him

In addition I guess it just takes more time for tweeners to find their niche not considering that huge distraction

See
    Derrick Williams
    Marcus Morris
    Aminu
    Jeff Green
    Tobias Harris

Good Players
    Manimal
    Iggy
    Millsap
    Louis Williams
    Ellis
    Kemba Walker

14. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

The Globetrotters can sign him if they need a 6'6" 280 lb. guy who can't jump or dunk, but knows how to throw fancy behind the back passes.

15. Crabdribbles

Crabdribbles Contributing Member

Appreciate the kind words!

16. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

His passes aren't fancy. I've heard this a bunch and it's just not the case. If you are dribbling through traffic with your right hand and want to pass it to a teammate on the left wing you can pass in the traditional fashion, in front of your body, which exposes the ball to the defenders in front of you and inherently telegraph the pass. If you pass the ball behind your back, you don't have to shift your body, you protect the ball from the defender with your own body, it's a shorter movement, it's deceptive, it's a faster way to get the ball to your teammate. Just think of how many time you've seen the Rockets make a chest pass this year that gets tipped or stolen when they turn their heads and shift their bodies to pass from the wing back to Harden or Lin at the top of the key. It's so annoying. Everyone would make quick deceptive passes if they could, but most players, even in the NBA aren't good enough to do it frequently, naturally, through traffic on the move, different angles, all that. Hell, the Rockets have some good passers and they still have trouble recognizing that Asik needs to receive a pass above his waist. A few can do behind the back passes as a routine maneuver, and White is one of them.

Nash talked about it a ways back, when he and D'Antoni started together. He said D'Antoni tried to get him to not do behind the back passes and not pass the ball one handed off the dribble. But he convinced D'Antoni that he could get the ball to his teammate a split second sooner and it wasn't just being fancy.

And if you want more it-substance-not-style evidence, Hubie Brown has talked about it too. When he went to coach the Grizzlies they were showing clips of him coaching at various levels, and one clip showed him talking to a bunch of college players in some clinic and he was demonstrating the behind the back pass, as an orthodox technique. It was great, he was passing behind the back hitting guys in the chest and said "see, you just slap yourself in the fanny".

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Very quick hands. He is NBA "raw," but I see enormous potential.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is a very clever man. He did virtually nothing but he conveyed his potential to a lot of ppl

He LIVES ON POTENTIAL

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He's a rookie in the D League, wtf else would he be living on.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Twitter?

Summer league performances, Preseason performances

He could have reported to camp and to Dleague games in November
    This has been well documented