1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Royce White highlights vs. Texas Legends (2/13/2013)

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Crabdribbles, Feb 14, 2013.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wrong. We are a reliable scorer 18-20 ppg (allstar type) and a reliable defender away from being a Top 3 team in the West IMO

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

So true, it's a pain in the azz sometimes. Always lookin for some flashy pass instead of directly dishin in to the open man. Maybe they'll work once he's back to 100% basketball-wise, but right now his handles are sluggish and he looks like he'd be a walking turnover machine in the NBA.

3. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Guess wanting attention is not just limited to twitter and interviews. The guy rather makes the fancy pass than the simple one. He's very talented but will never maximize it, he simply doesn't care about improving his skills. He's probably happy with what he has which is good passing for a big man. If he ever plays a game for the Rockets, it will over quickly if he plays like this. I'm impressed but that body language and his attitude for the game needs to change quickly or he's going to be another T-Mac, Francis and whoever else rather made the top 10 highlight plays than finish top 10 with the team.

4. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

That may be true. But why are you are expecting that kind of production from White..???

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

He is a bit rusty, but just imagine this guy playing alongside NBA players....guys that might actually finish off some of his nice passes. He does get a little too flashy at times, but his skills are pretty nice.

He is a project, but one we should try and develop. I think his style would mesh really well with the up-tempo pace the Rockets play at. Hopefully all the nonsense is behind him now. I can't wait to see what he can do at the next level.

6. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

So you come to that conclusion after only two D league games while ignoring all he did in college... WoW...!!!

7. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Exactly....

Plus he rebounds and has an enforcer type quality on the defensive side of the ball that the Rockets don't have...

8. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

If that is the case, then we got a steal. Prime T-Mac before the injury issues was top 3 in the game. Why would you be unhappy with that?

In reality, he isn't T-Mac. His game is much more like a young Lebron. He will never be as good a Lebron obviously, but he has similar characteristics (size, ball handling, passing, poor shooting, raw, etc.) If he works on his weaknesses and refines his game, look out, because he has All-Star ability. Hopefully his anxiety issues don't keep him from achieving his potential.

9. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I think he's more like Anthony Mason from the Knicks... Point Forward with point guard handles.

But regardless, this is the guy McHale wanted and McHale's track record with drafting power forwards is EXCELLENT...

10. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Reading is truly an art, I am convinced..please read again and tell me where did I say he is going to be like T-mac as far as talent or playing style wise? What I actually said was: like T-mac of Francis who rather go for the highlight play than win games. In other words: he's going to play flashy rather than smart.

11. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Two things he needs to improve: defense and a jumper. If develops a consistent jumper, especially a pull-up jumper on the break, he'll be hard to stop. Charles Barkley made a career off of that midrange jumper. Defense needs work too, and he seemed a little complacent getting back in transition on defense. But both of these things seem to be fixable -- he'll just need to have the right attitude and work really really hard, two thingshe hasn't shown he can do so far.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

In some ways, he really does remind me of Bird. He doesnt have the shot, but the passing isn't intended to be flashy....it's just his game. He plays and looks at the game a little different than most others....similar to Nash, Bird, etc.

If he can trim down, get a servicable shot, and defend most 4s...I think hes got a future in this league.

13. CCM721

CCM721 Member

The one thing I don't get is people saying he's overweight. Does he really look like he weighs more than he did in summer league or at Iowa State to you guys?

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I hate that he's out of shape. There's no excuse for that. He should have kept himself ready.

His behind the back passes aren't all flash though. It's usually a lot smother and quicker to warp around a behind the back pass than to stop and throw a chest pass. It's deceiving too.

His presence is legit as well. Guys are backing off or bouncing off of him. That's a big advantage in this league.

I'm going to assume his decision making will improve with experience. I'm not sure his speed/explosion can improve. If it can, along with his shooting, he's got all-star potential. I'd be happy with him just improving his jumper.

Yes.

Dude is fluffy right now. He's never been ripped/shredded, but he's clearly carrying more fat than usual. It may be the same as he was in training camp, but he was out of shape then too. He was in better shape in college. He looks the same overall size, but his body composition isn't the same. It's like he kept eating the same, but didn't lift as much. The extra calories go towards fat building, not muscle building.

He should be looking to get himself in even better shape, than he was in college, though. Should make him a better player.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#34 RV6, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  15. valleyproud

valleyproud Member

Its going to be hard to play he, Harden, and Lin together. All of them need the ball in their hands to be effective. I like his rebounding, court sense and ball handling but don't feel he has the shot or speed to be effective in this system. I can't ever see him playing a significant role with the Rockets. He needs to play in more of a half court system.

16. hahachui

hahachui Member

he could be our playmaker in second unit

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow Royce is way out of shape. He still gets up and down the floor. Once he calms down, he will be alright.

18. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

He's clearly a bit rusty and out of shape (maybe some anxiety too?). I guess give him a few games before the analysis begins.

Did anyone notice commentator saying "Glen Rice Jr." ? Looked it up and it is indeed Glen Rice's son. Man, immediately felt old knowing I have watched two generations of Glen Rices in the NBA.

19. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Harden doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective.

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

#40 giddyup, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013