1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Royce White highlights vs. Austin Toros (3/6/2013)

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Crabdribbles, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Extremely strong, able to push players to get rebounds and post positioning despite being a mediocre jumper. Very strong hands allow him to post and score and rebound even when out of position.

Excellent handle and court vision, but lacks explosiveness and forces it. Question is whether he will be able to handle the quick and explosive athletes at the next level. Also how will he fair deferring ball handling at the next level?

Don't see how anyone cannot see his performance as a positive in light of circumstances. Still so many question marks left unanswered. I expect due to his skill set, he will need to be in excellent shape to maximize his play at next level, but not sure he will put in the effort consistently.

Most similar to Anthony Mason but stronger.

2. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

The way Royce handles and passes the ball is Connie Hawkins-esque at times.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He sure has his fans.... which I don't think he deserves

4. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Definitely see glimpses of Barkley in his game, he's just very, very raw at the moment though and Barkley had a mid-range jumper and was a true scorer.

5. doggoneit

doggoneit Member

He carries himself like LeBron cuz he's easily best player in NBDL,

6. CertifiedTroll

Royce wasnt a waste of a pick. He is unique and has potential. That is what you aim for with a mid first rounder. If he pans out or not is not on DM. He just probides us with talent.

In other news Royces last game should tons of improvement. I think given an actual off season he could be very improved.

7. Coreyls18

Coreyls18 Member

Looks bad. Ill go ahead and say now he never once sees NBA minutes for the rockets or any team.

8. gah

gah Member

Be negative all you want but this is a small step in the right direction. Good to see him burning a lot of calories and boy is he world-class strong. There are a lot of routes he could go with, but even if he remains with his current skill-set, he is a jumper away from being an effective player.

9. PureElement

PureElement Member

I can see his potential, but also see so many flaws. The lack of finish around the basket is going to doom him when he can't shoot worth a damn. And he needs to ball to be affective, which isn't going to work with Lin and Harden. Could be a useful bench option with our 3 point shooters though.

Maybe a bench line up of

D-Mo
    White
    Delfino
    Anderson
    Brooks

I can see this lineup being very useful when the rockets are down 10 points.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Not sure if this is a game to truly be proud of. Stat line looks good, but the game he played would not translate to the NBA game at all. He would have been pulled from the game very early and not seen the floor again all night.

I think he's worth another shot at Summer League, off-season training, and a training camp invite.

Evaluate him at that point during the preason, but if he hasn't taken a giant leap forward, no way I pick up his team option in October at the end of preseason. Even if he does look better, its still debatable.

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

12. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

What an insightful post! Give him some time. With his anxiety issues I'm sure he feels more comfortable the longer he's in a situation. Next season we will see if he really has anything but the improvement over the last two weeks has been dramatic. He really does need to leave those horrible D-League refs alone although after his T in this game he started getting some calls.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Watching his game tapes, I agree with this notion. I'm all for seeing improvement from him, but as it stands, had I watched that game not knowing about anyone, I wouldn't think that he had a future in the NBA.

At his stature, to be as earthbound as he is will be a problem. Maybe he gets some lift if/when he drops weight and gets into serious condition, but he's a blocked shot waiting to happen at the moment, especially near the rim. And he won't be able to get many rebounds at the next level with his feet planted on the court like he did in that clip.

I agree that he's got a nice knack for running a break....but he's very dependent on his right hand and while the handles are good for a 4, they're only okay for a 3, and a wing wouldn't get away with them in the NBA.

My serious question would be: what is his place within the Rockets? They certainly won't be calling plays for him like the Vipers were. The fast break is a plus, but what about halfcourt?

I think he's got enough strength and saavy that he could at least tread water against 4s. He will be helpless against anyone with a face up jumper. I don't know if he can move well enough laterally to stay in front of 3s. Not overly optimistic that he will rotate quickly enough, but not everyone does.

On offense, I think he would have to play as a stretch 4. I just don't see how he could be successful around the basket. To that end, I wish the Rockets would ask the Vipers to run more plays that feature him in the high P&R game. Can he drill 18 footers and occasionally dive to the basket for catch & dunks? Can he catch it high and hit cutters (a la Adelman Offense)? I think that's his natural place.

1 person likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Big man able to push ball up the court has its advantages in NBA. That translates. Some of his moves won't work against athletic NBA players, but some of his misses looked like rust.

Being able to get post position and hold post position translate very well.

If he can get in shape, learn to shoot, cut down turnovers, hustle, and stay active with rotations, he could play in NBA. Lots of ifs, but he has talent.

15. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

Correct, he seems rusty... and is FAT, we'll probably see better from him if he focuses. You don't need to jump to get rebounds(chuck hayes).

16. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Thanks for posting these highlights. MF can play.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

That wasn't the point he wasn't boxing out like your supposed to. If you suck at boxing out you better be good at jumping.

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

All his twitter bull**** aside... Royce White is an interesting player that might be a star and might never play a single minute in the NBA both just based on skill alone.

For a big man he has elite handles and elite passing/floor vision. He is also pretty strong.

What he lacks is scoring ability. In that video you see him missing basically all jumpers and most of his post moves. He gets bailed out by beeing fouled a lot, but that wouldn`t happen in the NBA. And when he is no scoring threat, you can play off him, taking away his strength.

His FT-shooting seems to be fine, so he might develope a decent midrange shot, and he is strong and quick so he might develope a nice post move. Without those, he won`t see the court.

I am not sure about his defense. He is strong, but he seems to be lazy and thus getting pushed around a lot. He is often rebounding with one hand - that won`t fly in the NBA.

Oh and how many technicals did he now get since joining the Vipers?

19. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

anyone knows basketball can see he is very talented...

e.g Morey...

he will destroy opposing power fowards on fast breaks...

he only 50% in shape...

when his 100% watch out...

20. dragonz

dragonz Member

he can be pretty fast for a PF, if he can get in shape. And in today's NBA, speed beats height.

Out of DMo/TRob/White, if 2 of them can pan out be good/elite, the Rockets will have a bright future.