1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Request] Yao Ming First Season Highlights

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sishir Chang, May 21, 2007.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Can anyone post or know if there are highlights of Yao Ming's first NBA season? I've noticed on a few thread some posters are worried about Yao Ming's development now that JVG is gone and how Yao will now slide back to being a taller Rik Smits or Brad Miller. I think its great that Yao learned to play in the low post but I also remember that when Yao first came here he also showed some flashes of a diversity of moves, including no look passes and Dream Shakes.

In the article about Yao being more sad than anticipative that Pryuen translated Yao mentions that he will have to take up skills that he hasn't used in the last few years. This tells me that under a different system rather than seeing Yao's play deteriorate we might see Yao become even better if he learns to integrate both the low post presence he learned under JVG with the creative moves that he has done before.

Under a more open offensive scheme we could see Yao living up to the promise that people talked about in 2002 as a huge guy who both can dominate in the paint but also take it outside and break down a D with a variety of moves.

2. pch3lka

pch3lka Member

3. Sishir Chang

^ When I try to open the compressed files it says they are corrupted.

4. getready

getready Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8STO24L_NY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r8STO24L_NY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is the type of quickness we need him to get back to, he has become too plodding a player and his center of gravity is too high to play "push em out" Shaq like basketball.

We need him to mix in some finesse !

:D

DD

6. Sishir Chang

^ Thanks. That had one of the plays I was looking for the Dream Shake against the Lakers but the other one I didn't see, the scoop pass to Mobley from around his feet.

Those highlights illustrate my point. You've got a lot of posters worrying that now with JVG gone Yao's going to regress instead of being the dominant inside force. I think Yao can be even better than he is now if he both combines the kind of low post play he's learned under JVG with the creativity that he had earlier in his career.

7. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

Damm I miss Calvin Murphy's commentary. :(

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Me too ... I wish he and the Rockets hadn't mutually decided to part ways.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did Les offer him a Non-commentary role with the Rockets?

10. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Contributing Member

I posted this before, but here's Yao right before he entered the league.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FLXwzaNnv9w"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FLXwzaNnv9w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

11. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

he looked so skinny when he was rail thin

12. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

woops meant to say he looked so tall when he was that skinny

13. tsunami

tsunami Member

I just can't figure it out a business man like Les, he cares his business so much that he fired JVG, why can't he bring back Calvin? Calvin definitely are more popular as a commentator than Clyde.

14. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

yeah hearing his voice was pretty awesome. he was a great commenter and i really wished he was still here.. :(

15. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Damn, the Old Yao is much more entertaining :(

16. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

7:52 <-- I have never seen Yao elevated like that to get the ball. Lobbing the ball in to him wouldn't be a problem if he could still jump like that.

#16 RocketForever, May 21, 2007
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  17. Sishir Chang

The things that struck me about that video was that people were saying early in his career that Yao doesn't like to dunk or talk back to the refs but you see him dunking and also asking the refs about why a foul wasn't called when he was pushed over. Also Yao's English is a lot better than he let on.

It was also sweet watching him swat Nash. :D