1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] VGX Show Tonight (Game Reveals and More)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Dec 7, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

The VGX show is tonight. This is what's left of Spike TV's VGA show. This year, they're going to do it through online streams (with highlights on TV on Monday IIRC). With this, they say they can make the show more appealing to actual gamers, instead of the embarrassing mess that they showed in previous years.

It starts in a little under 5 hours I believe. Lots of places have streams, including Gametrailers and I believe Steam (for some reason). I think it is supposed to be a ~3 hour event.

Some games confirmed to be at the show include Witcher 3, Quantum Break, Titanfall, The Division, Broken Age, and more. Of course, we'll see some new/surprising stuff (or hopefully surprising stuff) as well. Reggie (from Nintendo) has been hyping up his appearance at the show, so expect some Wii U reveal (I think it was confirmed to be a Wii U game anyway).

It is a bit like a mini-E3 show with awards. For those of you with shiny new PS4s and/or Xbox Ones, you'll probably see some games that you'll be playing in mid-to-late 2014. Games that should hopefully be more "next-gen" than a lot of these launch titles.

FWIW, this was sort of leaked already, but it looks like there will be a PS4/XBO version of Tomb Raider (referred to as the "definitive" edition). Think it is supposed to come out next month.

2. Swishh

Swishh Member

Not getting hyped for this event at all. I don't want to be [​IMG]

Not expecting anything big at this event at all.

3. RC Cola

To be fair, there have been some major reveals in previous years. Dark Souls 2, The Last of Us, Uncharted 2 and 3 IIRC, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting (want to say some of the Mass Effect games were shown there first). Maybe Skyrim too? I can't remember.

Though with this not being on TV, I wonder if the reveals won't be quite as good. Some things are already leaking, and not sure there is anything super exciting. Telltale is making a Game of Thrones game/series (based on the books). That was already kind of known though.

4. Swishh

Swishh Member

Yeah, i know what they've shown previous years, but I don't expect that this year.

As a ps4 day one owner, it sucks knowing there are no exclusives i'm interested in until the order/uncharted 4, which i'll have to wait another year for. Not a fan of infamous. Destiny could have filled that void since it was supposed to release this spring, but that got delayed.

sigh...

Again, to those on the fence about whether or not to buy a ps4 now, I say wait until next summer when more games are out. This lineup of games is incredibly weak.

Or go with an xbox one for titanfall, which looks great, and sadly, i won't get to play it.

5. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Would love to see some more footage of "The Division". A release date would also be nice.

6. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

I'm getting a ps4, but will be waiting until ES: online and a disgaea game to come out before I make the purchase. Uncharted and infamous don't really interest me much, maybe because I'm coming from an xbox world. FPS have been weak so far except for titan fall. Think mmo and rpgs have gotten most of my attention.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wish Fallout 4 would have been announced, but nope. Hoaxes. :(

8. RC Cola

It was kind of lame. I'm not sure if it was better or worse than previous VGAs. I think they tried to make it better for gamers, but with Joel, it just ended up being awkward at times. Still have lame jokes and people that shouldn't be there. Drop that stuff and just have Geoff handle things, and it might be better.

Broken Age looks great.

No Man's Sky also looks awesome (only 4 people working on it?):
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SamVg64gvOk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Witcher 3 is shaping up nicely!

Joel Banderas was nice. As was the acceptance video from Irrational Games.

Hmm...guess some other OK things, but not much else besides that seem great to me.

The awards seemed odd themselves. I'm not going to spend too much time 2nd guessing them though. Who cares, right?

9. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Tomb Raider on PC was a very good game. Next-gen version they are showing seems to be the same as the PC version I just played. Great looking game and frame rate is solid. I got it for 10 bucks on Steam, not sure if it's still for sale. Definitely worth it.

I was interested in this show b/c of The Division engine showcase vid. Really only because it was involving the game. I am all about eye candy since it helps immersion, but I want to know more about the actual game!

10. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I think Last of Us should have won Game of the Year. It was something new and fresh. GTA5 is great but been done.

11. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

so whats the deal with this titanfall game? tons of praise at E3...seems not much info on it. have watched the E3 gameplay vid, looked intriguing. i'm lost on the ridiculous hype though. looks like a standard FPS to me...

i did hear its multiplayer with single player components. but what is really making it stand out?

12. RedRedemption

Apparently its supposed to revolutionize the FPS and directly compete with CoD/Battlefield.

I don't get the hype either. Its a next-gen Battlefield 2142 imo. They hyped Huxley and MAG as well and those both TANKED.

13. RC Cola

It has some interesting new things, but it does seem like more of the same to me. I'm not a big CoD/BF guy anyway, so it doesn't do much for me. It looks pretty solid IMO, but not anything to get crazy about. But people apparently are going crazy for it.

Of the 2, I much prefer Destiny, although I'm a little cautious on that one too. Actually, Destiny almost seems like a polished Warframe to me...except I have Warframe right now (and it is also free). So I'll be happy to stick with that for the time being.

No Man's Sky seems much more interesting than most of those games IMO (Destiny seems to have some of the elements, but I'm guessing it will be more shooter/action based). Witcher 3 is also deserves some more hype.

14. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

More like a "current-gen" Tribes Ascend with ugly CoD graphics.

15. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Also, Planetside 2.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Titanfall is getting hyped for plenty of good reason...on the surface, it's just another FPS. But, there are so many elements that are thrown into the mix, that it becomes a fresh experience.

You have jet-packs, the ability to run on walls, get into giant armored mechs....the speed, pace, and flow of the game is something that you cannot get in COD/BF...lots of action, lots of decisions to be made on the fly. Look around and check the comments that people posted after playing it...people were literally left shaking with adrenaline, describing it as the most fun theyve had in a video game, talking about how it's a game of constant crazy **** happening at all times, etc...

It's a completely multiplayer focused game...there is no single player campaign. All the effort is put into making it the best FPS that it can possibly be.

There is a reason why it's as hyped as it is...because people that got a chance to play it were blown away with the smoothness of action and controlled chaos that was unfolding before them. You dont fluke your way to 60+ awards at E3 for being just another COD.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

This pretty much sums it up for me. I have played soooo many shooters over the year and none of them do it for me as of late. Titanfall (and also Destiny, but that remains to be seen how good the competitive mode is) looks incredible for the movement combined with the gunplay that respawn (the real infinity ward) is known for. I'm quite excited for both.

Side note VGX was a train wreck. Lots of exclusives though, woo! Haha.

18. RedRedemption

It was a trainwreck because they tried too hard to make it interesting. Also wtf was their target market 12 year olds? Smosh? Pewdiepie?

19. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

That Witcher 3 footage shown at the VGX, while short, was just incredible.

Most of the rest of the VGX show was cringe-worthy. I was flipping back and forth between that and the evening college football games.