1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] ESPN has an eSports section now

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Jan 14, 2016.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LMAO. Dude...chill...you can't possibly be this worked up over something as pointless as whether video games are a sport or not...

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Entertainment and Sports Programming Network

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm not, I don't care if they're considered a "sport" or not.
    I am flabbergasted at some of the ignorant statements people make, however. People who play video games definitely aren't "athletes", and that seems to be what upsets people the most.

I just think people who are trying to compare what is going on right now to chess, spelling bees, or whatever other junk comes up are obtuse. Making statements like 'it's just because of the amount of viewers' -- well no ****...how do you think the NFL / NBA / MLB / NHL / MLS makes money?

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good cuz it ain't

1 person likes this.
  5. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Well if it's about breaking a sweat I used to play Dance Dance Revolution back in the arcade all the time and would work up a little sweat after playing a bit :grin:

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Not according to ESPN, zing!

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Sport: a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other.

Physical abilities don't have to only be be limited to major sports like basketball, football, soccer. These include fine-motor skills which are used in bowling. E-sports could also fall into that category. There are a lot of fine-motor skills that are occurring in the hands to navigate and perform actions with an on-screen avatar.

So, yes E-sports can be classified as a sport.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Enjoy your moment in the sun because ESPN lets anyone in now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Besides, they go where the money is. If there was money in calling snail farming a sport, they would do it.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Want to talk more about spelling bees? Got more informed takes?

So would the NFL if snail farming could raise enough capital to get them a stadium built. Your point?

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My point is that it's not a sport just because ESPN dedicates resources to it.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but it shouldn't be on ESPN.

Bring back G4TV and put it there. I don't want to hear about LeBron and that dude who can do 15 hit combos with Ryu in the same segment.

1 person likes this.
  13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I mean
    a) they're not in the same segment
    b) this isn't sports center, it's a website

I fail to see the problem.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

It's ESPN trying to gain new users. This is a fact that they need new users badly.

To me, if I want to see Esports, that's IGN.

I went to X-games, they had a section for video game competition.
    It was next to the dirt bike section.

They are trying hard.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I mean I don't know why you'd ever go to IGN for esports -- they're awful, but I get what you're trying to say.

With that said, again...I don't think this is detracting from anyone watching Football, Basketball, or even Snowboarding etc.

It's in addition to, you don't have to look at it. If ESPN all of a sudden became a 24/7 esports network, then I could see your complaint.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm not sure why comparing gaming to a spelling bee is an insult. I'd imagine spelling is more difficult.

Neither are sports. But ESPN does need something to air Sunday on ESPN 2 while football is on.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

I play videogames, but watching other people play video games and having professional commentators saying 'oh he should have done up down left right left right a b start' is just too corny.

I understand why athletes don't like it. Did you see Inside the NBA when they were at CES? Shaq got into it with the Esports guy challenging him to play a real sport. Barkley and Kenny also felt odd talking about as sports.

Until Barkley started talking about black dudes with british accents which quickly diverted the conversation

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I would find it boring as hell....but my son watches youtubes of gamers for hours. So just another example of the world passin' me by.

Anybody else remember ABCs Wide World of Sports with Jim McKay? That was my weekly sports fix back in the olden days.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Does is show which buttons they are mashing?

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Every time you post you sound more and more like a 70 year old man that just doesn't "get it".

If you think spelling a word is more difficult than these games people are getting paid millions to play, well...I can't do anything for you. No one can.