1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Games] Curt Schilling's 38 Studios in serious trouble. (Kingdoms of Amalur)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, May 17, 2012.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

News about this has been trickling out for a week or so now. I casually paid attention previously but it's starting to get very serious from what I can see. It's sad because they actually released a good game; it seems like this is starting to become common place for good developers to release good games and still somehow run out of money. Team Bondi released LA Noire a few days short of a year ago, and they're gone. Black Rock studios released Split Second in 2010 and was shut down last year. Believe me, I can go on. The worst part is all of these talented people losing their jobs.

As for 38 Studios; I have played Kingdoms of Amalur a bit and it's pretty good. What was up with the loan from Rhode Island though? Insanity.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/17/38-studios-doesnt-make-payroll/

#1 seclusion, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

That really sucks. From everything I've heard it's a pretty good game. I was strongly considering buying it, and I still might eventually, but I put it off because two similar games (Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma) have piqued my interest more. Don't know if other people thought the same thing... could be a part of what did them in.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Probably. I got KoA for $30 otherwise I likely still wouldn't have it. It's closer to Diablo than Skyrim; the combat is a hell of a lot better that's for sure. They should have released before Skyrim.

I don't know I can't really play single player games like that for 50 and 60 hours. Much less the reported 80 hours for KoA. I think lack of multiplayer definitely hurt as well. Torchlight is successful because it's a good game and it's cheap.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Too many chiefs.

5. Raven

Raven Member

I enjoyed the demo, but I never bought it. Ultimately, there wasn't anything to distinguish it, and I put it on the back burner. I like the graphics, though. I thought they were well done and stylish.

6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Wait Team Bondi is gone?! So no LA Noire sequel? :(

7. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Curt Schilling and co. pulled a fast one on the state of Rhode Island. No way it cost $75 million to form that company and develop one game. Since it's a corp, they get away scott freeee.

Played the demo...and the game was sub par. Controls def need some work. It's not as bad as Ninja Theory games, but not as fluid as Dragons Dogma or Skyrim.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Rockstar owns it, there will most certainly be a sequel.

9. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I believe it is their mmo that is in development to be the big drain. They bought out Big Huge Games and let EA fund them to finishing Kingdom of Amalur, but expected a ton more boxsales?

Maybe, just maybe your first game shouldn't have spent so much on Todd McFarlane and RA Salvatore. And never get in bed with EA.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow, I almost moved up there to work for them...WHEW !

DD

11. Nero

Nero Member

Governor's Aide: Hey Governor! I have a great idea. Let's invest 75 million of the state's money in a... VIDEO GAME COMPANY!

Governor of R.I.: YES! That's an outstanding idea, chum! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG??

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Like I said, RedN should've bought that frickin copy. He ruined an entire company.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Um yeah...I wonder what's going on over there.

Also I just noticed a lot of people are blasting Schilling over this due to him supposedly being a hard line republican.
    He also allegedly took 4 million out of their loan (from rhode island) for himself to cover a loan he made to the company.
    Someone quoted this as well:

Yikes.

#13 seclusion, May 18, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012
  14. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

I believe floating new money and writing rubber checks to pay off old debts is called a ponzi scheme or kiting. Curt has been made whole. He's all set. If they sold a 1mm copies and still can't make payroll, that means every private investor has cashed out. Now Rhode Island is left holding the bag. Suckers!

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m9nvnrP0j8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Fly-through of the mmo world.

16. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

http://blogs.wpri.com/2012/05/24/38-studio-lays-off-its-entire-staff/

RIP 38 studios

17. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Team Bondi's execs ran that company to the ground. There's a reason why Sony and Rockstar got rid of them.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Im sure Curt will say it's not his fault he mismanaged the company and swindled MILLIONS from Rhode Island......IT'S OBAMA'S FAULT!:rolleyes:

19. Raven

Raven Member