1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video Game] Dragon's Dogma

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by AtheistPreacher, Feb 19, 2012.

1. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

This game looks insane.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HYbH25f36Qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like some crazy combination of Dark Souls, Monster Hunter, Elder Scrolls, Devil May Cry, and Shadow of the Colossus.

It doesn't hurt that special weapons and armor from the Berserk manga will be DLC. I've always loved that series, so this is actually a selling point for me.

Here's a recent livestream of some guys playing the game for almost 2 hours. I'd advise skipping to about minute 44 when they start fighting a cyclops. After they kill that, there's another big cool battle starting around 1:04:30.

Coming out near the end of May. Can't wait to give it a try.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Had my eyes on that for a year now, looks awesome. Only thing I fear is that it lacks in story and these monster fights are nearly everything you do. Could get monotonous and feel like a MMO.

3. AtheistPreacher

I've always been a guy who cared more about gameplay than story, so the idea that story may be lacking really doesn't bother me much. I mean, Dark Souls had a pretty forgettable story, but I still loved the game. To each his own.

Anyway, here's a good article on the game that I forgot to post last night.

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Does look great. I've not really been all that interested in Capcom games for a while, but maybe this could change things.

5. AtheistPreacher

The latest previews for Dragon's Dogma have gotten me even more excited for this game, especially the first video I've embedded below. Anyone with a PS3 or X-Box 360 should seriously check it out, it looks friggin' amazing. Plus this guy doing the preview is just really entertaining and has a great accent.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NrCiV4LOYk4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The same guy did two more follow up videos, one on classes and skills:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_c8krHCKHDI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...and one on the Pawn system:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qEsVmmXQqWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can't wait for May 22nd. After watching these latest previews, I'm sold. I pre-ordered it on Amazon a few hours ago.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

One week too late.

Diablo III comes out on May 15th.

7. AtheistPreacher

Oh, believe me, I'm well aware, I'll be getting both. But this game looks good enough that I imagine I'll be playing both concurrently. Probably will hurt the sales of this one, though, being so overshadowed and all...

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I'm getting Diablo 3 for sure. But I actually might pick this game up too. Looks pretty good.

9. liljojo

liljojo Member

Wow, that guy's a really entertaining reviewer.

10. AtheistPreacher

I know, right? I feel like I need to start following this guy and watching whatever videos he puts it, just because he's damned entertaining.

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Love how the world and cities look actually...medieval, you know? Not too fantasy-ish, just plain and simple realistic. Really lookin forward to this game.

12. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

After watching the videos, I'm EXTREMELY interested. Will be picking this up as soon as it is available. Looks like a mix of Dark Souls and Skyrim to be honest.

13. AtheistPreacher

Those two and Shadow of the Colossus for the climbing all over enemies thing. Not to mention that Capcom makes the Monster Hunter series, which isn't hard to see with the focus on huge monster killing, and has said they're designing it to appeal to that fan base, among others. The development team is also being led by two of the head honchos for Devil May Cry 3 (yeah!) and 4 (meh). Suffice it to say, these are all games I liked. If this game manages to combine the best elements of all of them, or even comes close to doing so, it's going to be something special.

14. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I'm getting this game for sure, but is there any kind of co-op? I heard it was going to but they nixed it?

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No real co-op, but your player/world is stored online and you can hire other player's characters to hunt with you for a certain time, the used character gets experience, etc. Again, no co-op which means the CPU will control the other character.

16. AtheistPreacher

Yeah, that is kind of a bummer. My brother and I were initially hoping we could play together. Turns out the best we can do is swap sidekicks. It would've been really cool to actually team up to take on some of these big beasties. But I suppose I'll get over it. I'm more of a single-player experience kind of guy anyway.

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

^^
    Same here, I never play co-op in any games. All I go online for are versus games.

18. AtheistPreacher

The Dragon's Dogma demo will be out next week, on Tuesday the 24th. The particularly cool thing about it is that you can create your main character and main pawn, and then export them from the demo to the main game on release. That sounds great to me, since I typically spend a great deal of time creating my character on these types of games. It'll be nice to pop in the full game having already created my characters and ready to jump right into the action.

There are also some new trailers to check out:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JblXIFWLxFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q54q0iDmGyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. AtheistPreacher

Another great video showcasing the grab mechanics:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jmox6rdpiog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not for PC?!?