1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[VIDEO GAME] Dark Souls

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScriboErgoSum, Feb 1, 2011.

1. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

From 1up

I'd put this behind Uncharted 3 and Batman: Arkham City, but I'm mighty excited about playing the sequel to Demons' Souls. 2011 is going to be a pretty amazing year for video games.

#1 ScriboErgoSum, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Hehe, there was a Bartman :) I'd put it behind Elder Scrolls 5, but that's really it for me. Very interested in seeing what they do.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Haven't been keeping up with this title, but is it possible it's being released in Japan/Asia beforehand? With Demon's Souls, it came out there first and then took 9 months for it to come to NA. However, the Asian version did have English voices so the diehard fans of King's Quest (spiritual predecessor to DS) were playing it already long before it was announced to cross over to America.

4. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

Mortal Kombat 9 Anyone?

That And Marvel vs Capcom 3 are the two best games to look forward to this year.

5. ScriboErgoSum

It sounds like it'll be simulatenous or pretty damn close to it. The last one came out in Japan, and only after they got funding did they work on the NA release. After decent sales and an overwhelmingly positive reception, they're going to want to get that game out in time for holiday sales.

6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

YES! Coming to the 360! :grin:

7. dback816

dback816 Member

Dark Souls? That's such a lazy name...

But the few glimpse of videos we saw have already sold me on this. Looks just like DS

They said that at E3

8. ScriboErgoSum

Via http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/01/dark_souls/

They're ramping up the difficulty? Wow, I thought the first game was damn challenging, but not as impossible as some did. It just forced you to be very cautious and handed out brutal punishment for failure.

9. dback816

dback816 Member

Wow, that bit about the exploration thing is really exciting to me.

10. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Just clarifying: King's FIELD, not King's Quest.

I'm the proud owner of all 4 King's Field games, including the very first one that was released only in Japan. They have been some of my favorites for a long, long time. Beaten all except the first one three times or more. Highly, highly recommended.

Have gotten started on the PS2 Shadow Tower as well (also Japan-only), and that seems pretty good so far.

11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't know. King's Quest was pretty brutal with its deaths too:
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TBDTYKwmYEM" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>
    Definitely some similarities. ;)

Apparently there is a full interview available online, although in Japanese. One of the mods at NeoGAF (duckroll) was translating/paraphrasing/interpreting some of this I think. Regarding the difficulty:
    Another post by duckroll:
    Here's the thread for those that would like to read more:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420440
    Not sure what else might have come out of the interview other than what has already been said.

Sounds like some scans available, although apparently not very good ones.

12. dback816

dback816 Member

13. RC Cola

A little better quality trailer (plus screens):
    http://www.gamersyde.com/news_dark_souls_trailer_and_screens-10507_en.html

Some previews went out. Here's one from Gamespot:
    http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/projectdark/news.html?sid=6297337&mode=previews
    Good to see confirmation that the Western release is in 2011 too. FWIW, seems like Bandai-Namco probably funded the game (and maybe Armored Core 5 too?). Not just publishing it in the West. Guess part of the reason why a company like Atlus wasn't involved (Atlus also doesn't have a European office). Would have preferred them to Bandai-Namco, but maybe Bandai-Namco won't screw it up somehow.

14. RC Cola

15. ScriboErgoSum

This article is funny.

http://www.1up.com/news/dark-souls-dev-attacks-early-players-high-level-monster

These developers are sadists. Looking forward to playing this game, but I'm putting it at the back of the pack with Arkham City and Uncharted 3.

1 person likes this.
  16. RC Cola

Definitely is funny. Perfect for this type of game though.

Unfortunately, I have read that the game is still kind of buggy. Maybe rushed a bit? Hope not, but I'll blame Namco Bandai anyway. Though now that I think about it, Demon's Souls was buggy during its initial launch in Japan (there was some delay before the NA release).

An example (more funny than a good example of it being "buggy" though):
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F13yb6vrGBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

My GOTY, can't wait till it's released.

18. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'm absolutely pumped and equally dreading playing this game.

It's a dream and a nightmare wrapped into one game.

19. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

My God I love From Software. Stuff like that just slays me. They really try hard to screw the player over hard at least once or twice just to welcome them to the game. Reminds me of the giant kraken in King's Field 1, the lava in King's Field TAC, and Yurt killing of your mechants in Demon's Souls. It's as if they're saying, "Guess what? Life isn't always fair, and this game isn't either." Always makes me grin.

20. Dei

Dei Member

Bwahahaha!!! Gandalf is proud.