1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Victor Wembanyama

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Buck Turgidson, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's actually been putting on weight the past few years. He's probably up to around 230-240 lbs the last I remember reading. When Holmgren was drafted, he wasn't even listed 200 lbs. Victor actually shows muscle on his body. Chet's muscles were really his veins.

solid likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Victor is much more Ralph Sampson than Chuck Holmgren.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's gonna be 8' tall by the end of the season ...

4. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

Injury prone, waiting to happen. Too tall and skinny for the NBA, boys about to get wrecked!

5. i3artow i3aller

6. i3artow i3aller

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Wemby's in sandals in that pic and he's still a whole head taller lol

I think this kid is actually 7'6" at this point

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Here’s a list of NBA players who were 7’4” or taller:

Gheorge Muresan (7’7”)- entered the league at age 22…played exactly one game at age 27…30 games at age 28 averaging under 10 minutes per game. Retired at 29 years old

Manute Bol (7’7”) - entered the league at age 23…played 28 games at age 31…5 games at 32…retired at 33

Tacko Fall (7’6”) - entered league at age 24..has never played more than 19 games in a season. We’ll see…jury is still out.

Slavko Vranes (7’6”) - played 1 game…

Shawn Bradley (7’6”) - entered league at 24…significantly limited minutes for rest of his career once he turns 29. Out of the league entirely before he turned 33

Yao Ming (7’6”) I think we know this story…enters league at 22. Misses entire season at 29. Plays 5 games at 30 before retiring.

Chuck Nevitt (7’5”) - played a grand total of 155 games, with only one season where he played more than 10 minutes per game (averaged 5.3 minutes per game over his career), over the course over 9 seasons. Retired by 34

Pavel Podkhozin (7’5”) - played 6 games over 2 seasons

Sim Bhullar (7’5”) - played 3 games 1 season

Mark Eaton (7’4”) - he and Smits (up next) may be the lone exceptions to the “limited minutes and out by around 30” rule for everyone else in this list. Ironically, they were both heavier guys who plodded in the paint, obviously

Rick Smits (7’4”) see above

Ralph Sampson (7’4”) - I think we know this story, but for the youngsters, this was one of the most heralded NBA prospects to that point. Limited minutes by 28..out of the league entirely at 32..played only 10 games after turning 31

Boban (7’4”) - Tells knock knock jokes to add team value. Never played more than 14 minutes per game in a season. Came in the league at 27…he’s 34 now. Averages less than 9 minutes per game for his career

Priest Lauderdale - played 2 seasons

I said earlier whoever drafts Wemby better be ready to win quickly. The kryptonite for guys at this height is stress fractures in the feet or lower leg…which Wemby has already suffered. Once you have one, the chances of it getting injured again are higher than with most similar injuries. If history is a guide, you have about 5-6 seasons or so with him before you’ll see limited minutes and games. He and your team better be ready to put it together very quickly, unless he’s an outlier.

zeeshan2, rhee and SamFisher like this.
  9. foh

foh Member

Perhaps you ought to consider who among these people moved as fluidly/dynamically as this dude. I'm assuming that people are a bit more optimistic for his longevity over some other people in your list. He is also not playing center and the league is less punishing now - he won't have to bang down low against Shaq.

And we picked Yao at one and were excited to see him play. Of course injuries didn't help that excitement be consistent. True.

10. MadMax

He’s fluid, and that’s great. So was Sampson relative to that time. I’m not saying he can’t defy the odds….I’m saying the odds are long. Particularly when you already have a stress fracture around your 20th birthday. I’m also not saying they shouldn’t be excited about drafting him. I never said any of those things. I said only that if you’re hoping to win a ring, none of those guys did….and you better build around him very quickly, because the odds suggest you’ll need to.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I posted about it earlier this year but he was SUPER durable, playing lots of minutes and lots of games. Like 82, 78,79, etc.

He was discovered/developed very late so maybe that played a role.

DonnyMost, Deckard and MadMax like this.
  12. MadMax

You're right...he was a car mechanic as I recall. God, he gave Dream fits. He's a HUGE part of why I hate the Jazz to this very moment.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Pretty cool video. Who the **** was Ron Mercer? That GM should be fired

zeeshan2 and MadMax like this.
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This has been in the back of my mind ever since I first laid eyes on Victor W.

These dudes tend to absolutely implode before 30 after the rigors of the NBA.

Granted Victor is way more athletic and leaner than most of these examples, but physics is still physics. Humans can only get so big before the square-cube law takes over.

I had no idea he already suffered a lower extremity stress fracture, that's a huge red flag. Granted it's on a non-primary weight carrying bone, but still.

The Spurs, of all orgs, understand load management, so maybe they can squeeze more miles out of him than most, but the actuarial tables of him playing at a high level beyond 30 are extremely bleak.

Deckard and MadMax like this.
  15. i3artow i3aller

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm trying to think of some scenario where this doesn't work out for SAS but Wembanyama doesn't get injured.

Like " decides he wants to play minor league baseball" etc

MadMax likes this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

18. i3artow i3aller

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

How many over 7'4" players busted out of the league because of injures, and how many because they just sucked tremendously at playing basketball? I agree there's probably an increased injury risk--just common sense--but I'm not convinced that we have a large enough sample size to make reliable statements about what the percentage odds are, let alone say he will definitely have problems.

In any case, I'm not rooting for him to get hurt... just for him (and the Spurs) to lose lots of basketball games, especially when playing against the Rockets :D He can stay healthy and even make lots of money for all I care.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member