1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vecsey's doing drugs again!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hottoddie, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

NugzFan,

I thought you said LaFrentz & McDyess weren't available? According to the most reliable sports reporter in the business, they might be. Our offer of Cato for LaFrentz/Willis is still on the table. Interested? :D

http://www.nypost.com/sports/33965.htm

NETS GET LUCKY ON MCDYESS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CATCHING A BREAK:
    If the Nuggets had accepted
    Nets' offer, Antonio McDyess (right) could be part of New
    Jersey's legendary injured list, nursing a partially torn
    leftpatella tendon.
    Reuters

October 14, 2001 -- FOR THE first time since the NBA-ABA consolidation, the Nets have lucked out. Had the Nuggets jumped all over an unbound offer received several weeks ago, Antonio McDyess already would be intimately involved with New Jersey's legendary injured list instead of being in Denver's infirmary until January.
    At the urging of Jason Kidd, a Suns teammate of McDyess, the Nets greatly tempted the Nuggets by dangling Keith Van Horn and Kenyon Martin for the prototype power forward, according to those in the know. Voshon Lenard or another player earning in the range of $3-4 million would have needed to be included for cap purposes.

Like most significant trade proposals, no matter how appealing to both sides, the dragging deliberation process often queers the deal. In this case, the Nuggets' decision-making was further slowed down by equally attractive conversation with the Pacers.

In the market for a quality big man to complement Jermaine O'Neal, Indiana inquired about the 6-11 fake franchise player (Jalen Rose was prominently mentioned). But, the truth is, given the choice, Isiah Thomas preferred Raef LaFrentz over McDyess.

The Nuggets' mind was made up for them, of course, when it was quickly determined once training camp opened that McDyess needed surgery to repair a partially torn left patella tendon. Although the operation isn't considered major (Alonzo Mourning had two of 'em and was out of the hospital in an hour), there's no sidestepping the required 10-12 week rehabilitation.

It signals the first time a player went lame that the Nets were looking at instead of looking after.

A voice on my answering machine said he never realized how much I loathed the Knicks until reading my "puff piece" regarding Scott Layden's off-season moves.

"I know what you're doing," reprimanded the voice. "You want Layden doing this job as long as possible, because the longer he lasts, the more he can ruin the Knicks. I never thought you were that clever, Vecsey."

And here all these years I thought an endorsement by me was tantamount to an indictment.

At any rate, only two situations prevent me from pushing Layden for executive-of-the-year honors. His judgment to draft Eric Chenowith, versus Loren Woods (signed to a 1-year guarantee by Minnesota) with the 43rd pick. Then what does he do with the Kansas big man? Renounces him.

The second is a bit more meaningful. Like assistant GM Latrell Sprewell and the Knicks' eminently sophisticated fans, I'm somewhat shocked Layden wasn't innovative enough to secure an All-Star big man during the off season via a trade or the free- agent market.

Being $40M or so over the cap, as well as owning only a few treasured players is no excuse for not acquiring Chris Webber, David Robinson, or Shaq, for that matter.

Common sense does not apply in such circumstances and rules definitely don't apply. They certainly didn't influence Timberwolf management from trying to improve its personnel.

Too bad my Paper Clips play in the same shack as Shaq, 'cause they continue to make a serious run at being taken seriously.

Securing a proven commodity like Elton Brand (even if he doesn't put up the same numbers playing in the west) can only help. Throw in the fact that after two seasons in Chicago, he's already been through hell, a change of venue (not to mention an outside shot at the playoffs) qualifies him as a mentor for the likes of Lamar Odom, Darius Miles and Elgin Baylor.

Jerry Buss, Paul Allen and Mark Cuban aside, there probably isn't an owner in the league who wouldn't trade his team for the Clips' talent pool and payroll.

As for the Bulls, huh? Apparently, Messrs. Reinsdorf and Krause have pegged their faithful for fools. By trading their most potent scorer, gallant glass cleaner and, by all accounts, their hardest worker, Chicago Stadium figures to be rebuilt before the Bulls.

This is not to suggest that Tyson Chandler isn't worthy. But you've got to believe the Southern California kid already is more than a bit homesick.

Can he and fellow teen idol, Eddy Curry, make the Bulls better? Ask my next of kin.

Marcus Camby has signed to star in the remake of "My Left Foot." Daniel Day Lewis is presently the team's most lethal post option.

O.J. Simpson, on trial in Florida for road rage, has come up with a unique defense strategy: He took one look at the Heat's roster and went ballistic.

2. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

they arent. that article backs me up.

and if i were issel, cato would be in denver by now. :)

3. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

:rolleyes: Peter Vescey's stoned 24-7.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Forget doing drugs, dude is MANUFACTURING the drugs! What, does he think of this stuff on the fly or something? I mean I can lie at random if I wanted to, but it would just make me look like an idiot.

5. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

wha.....?

6. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

I don't think Vecsey's inventing that much here, except maybe the idea that the Nuggets were "tempted" by the Nets' suggested deal.

I'm sure the Nets offered Van Horn and Martin for McDyess.

And I'm sure the Knicks offered Charlie Ward for one of the Warriors' big men.

It's just that there's a big difference between making an offer and making an actual deal ... a difference that, in these cases, begins with getting the other party to stop laughing about the ridiculous offer. ;)