1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vassilis Spanoulis again...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Little O, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

Well, since talking about the Rockets is a little depressing right now.

I've decided to bring up our rookie overseas in the Euroleague again. Guess, I am looking ahead to maybe next year at players that could be trying out for the Rockets.

Here are his averages for the season:

15.5 ppg, 63.7% fg, 41.9% 3p, 81.2% ft, 3.1 a, 1.4 st, 2.7 to

Here are some quotes from him:

Fan Mail Answers

I like seeing these quotes. The Rockets need winners on this team. Too many perennial losers as JVG has said more than once.

Hopefully he can come over and turns out to be more than just another Euro-player who can't make it in the NBA.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for the update on V-Span. Hopefully his youth and athelticism will be a nice addition to the team next year. We could use it.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he has a shot at making the team but he won't get any minutes. JB and sura will probably retire after this season, and moochie will be let go. that cleares up some space, but with a first round pick and the MLE to use again our rotation will probable be set before the season starts.

if we bring back:

yao-deke-baxter
    jho-stro
    tmac-bowen
    wesley-da
    rafer-head

we would go into the draft taking the most nba ready guy, which usually isn't a PG. then go ingo FA signing targeting cassell and claxton.

belive it or not we actually will have a pretty deep team. it won't be easy for guys ot get minutes next year.

4. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

This year's rotation is supposed to be very deep too. I think we just cannot factor out the injury risk. We need to have players who are much less injury-prone.

5. tshay

tshay Contributing Member

Isn't Wesley gone next year too?

6. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

He needs to work on his FG% a little if he wants to crack this line up.

Seriously, are they allowed to play defense in that league? I can't make 64% of my shots with no one guarding me.

7. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

I think wesley is gone next year, and Luther Head is not a backup PG. I see a hole at the PG position and more likely than not I see us drafting either a PF or SG/SF depending on draft position. Head will move over to either starting SG/backup SG. I see DA as maybe being lost in the shuffle.

Not saying that Spanoulis will make the team or even compete for a spot, but we are far from deep. This year and our incessant losing has already proven that. Deep teams can win once against the dregs of the league with their stars missing.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn near a 1:1 assist:turnover ratio is not what I would be looking for in a PG for this team. Head doesn't rack up the assists either, so if those guys are the future point guards of the Rockets, we will have a distribution problem eventually.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If VSpan and Bad Man were entering this year's Draft where would they be likely picked?

How NBA ready might either realisticaslly be?

10. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I can't make 64% of my layups. :D

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If we couldn't get Spanoulis this year because of projected minutes, it's too bad. With our injuries, he'd be averaging 42 minutes a game. With all the minutes Head and Lucas get, you've gotta believe he'd be getting a ton.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

with all the talk about how we aren't as deep as we thought, why does everyone think that wesley wouldn't be resigned? JVG won't leave the SG spot up to head and a draft pick, or DA.

i listed luther as a backup PG in name only. much like he was early in the season. he would come in for the PG and tmac would bring up the ball. I too see a hole at the point which is why i think we need to go after claxton or cassell with the MLE this summer.

I can't agree with you more about the draft. i stated in my origional post that we would take the most NBA ready player, but we need an athlete who can play both the 2/3 positions. we could also use an extra big guy for when deke leaves. stro can split minutes with jho and when yao comes out this pick can come in and move stro to center for 10 minutes. either way we go in the draft will help as long as the guy can play.

i think if DA is going to get lost in the shuffle as you put it, JVG would give him a heads up and advise him to opt out.

i still believe that next year we will have a deep team.

yao-deke-baxter
    jho-stro
    tmac-pick-bowen
    head-wesley
    rafer-MLE-vspan

we still have the knicks second round pick which is almost a first rounder they way their season is going. barring injury thats a deep team.

13. hnjjz

hnjjz Member

They tabulate assists differently in Europe. You rarely see anyone averaging more than 3 or 4 assists a game.

14. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Hah! We had a deep team this year, for all the good it did.

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Yeah, look at Jose Calderon. His 2.9apg in Europe suddenly turned into 5.4apg in the NBA with similar minutes. But Spanoulis' near 2 to's per game are troubling. Looks like he's a little out of control.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

anyon have a real clue about this?

17. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

3.1 assists doesn't sound like he's the Playmaker Point Guard that the Rockets need. Its about time that the Management only make changes when the talent is exactly what they need.[No quick fix] I am sue that Alston could give us 15 points a game and 3.1 assists, if not more assists.

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

As someone else pointed out above, the Euroleague has different rules for counting assists. Jose Calderon had 2.9 assists in 29mpg in the Euroleague. In the NBA he has 5.4apg in 29mpg. In Europe, assists are more than just "did the scorer put the ball on the floor first?".

I'm intrigued by Spanoulis, but his defense is a question. I only saw his team play once on NBATV and I wasn't even sure which one was him! They all seemed to play defense poorly. Open jumpshots were abundant and I'm not suprised that someone could score at 63fg% if they took it to the rack all day. Vassillis might make it to the NBA, but it's clear he wants money and playing time. He's not loyal to the Rockets just because we have his draft rights.

Xiki, I don't think anyone knows were he would get drafted in this years draft. Considering that the draft is basically a crapshoot nowadays, it doesn't really matter where you get drafted. Darko was drafted #2, Samaki Walker six spots above Nash, and Boki Nachbar twelve spots above Tayshaun Prince. Vassillis is a standout in Europe, but who knows how that will translate to this league?

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

when you have 8 players who miss a significant amout of games i don't care how deep your team is.

well usually you never have this kind of bad luck two years in a row. next year will be great :)

20. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

That's why he's potential nba talent and you're not ;)