1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Valve Announces SteamOS, More Announcements Soon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Sep 23, 2013.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
    http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/
    More details at the (first) link.

It seems this is the first of 3 announcements for them this week. The next will apparently be revealed in ~48 hours.

1 person likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe Steam can fix the stupid Bootstrapper client issue that many users have so that I can actually play online and download games through Steam.

That's the announcement, I'm looking for.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I got a weird déjà vu sense by this thread. RC had you talked about this before?

4. RC Cola

Don't think so. I hadn't even really followed the buzz with Valve on this. I knew to expect something today, but wasn't really following the speculation. Steambox has always been talked about (for years it seems now), though SteamOS is somewhat new (though think there has been some speculation about it for a while...though usually it was "Valve launching Steambox with Ubuntu OS" or something).

5. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Hopefully they announce Half-Life 3.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did Valve ever finish Episode 3 for Half Life 2?

7. Raven

Raven Member

From a practical standpoint, what does this mean, exactly?

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Ideally more stability, more security, less cost (it's free, windows and mac os are not), etc etc. I for one hope this is successful, I'm sick of microsoft and their business practices (I've worked in IT for quite some time, and been a PC/console gamer for much longer).

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Well...now I'm a little freaked out. Lol

Oh well; this is certainly interesting. I'm curious how this impacts next gen.

10. RC Cola

No. Think they scrapped the episodic content idea/model. Possibly part of Half Life 3...if that is ever released.

Some hints here and there about it, but who knows.

Seclusion nailed it. It is likely they'll put out a "Steambox", and this is likely the OS they'll use. Might as well offer it to all (they only care about getting people to use Steam). With the streaming, they could conceivably put out a cheap dongle/box (Chromecast/Vita TV) that will stream games to the big TV.

Over time, there might be some improvements made to performance in games, though I'd be pretty skeptical about that as long as developers treat a Linux port as an afterthought (though at least they're thinking about it now!).

I think this is just part of their overall plan, and might get a better picture of things after they're done revealing everything.

I think the G-Man is involved somehow...

And yeah, I'm curious to see how this impacts next-gen as well. Don't want to speculate too much until we actually know more about what Valve is up to, but they could definitely disrupt things a bit.

11. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I would be cool with a Team Fortress 3 announcement (although I have no idea how in the world they could out do TF2).

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah I am curious if they plan on a TF3 sometime in the near future. Any chatter about it?

13. RC Cola

I haven't followed it too closely. There was some JIRA leak of projects at Valve a while back, and while there was HL3 and L4D3 I believe, I don't recall TF3 (not that I'd put a lot of stock in that info, assuming it was even real). Them seem content with just updating TF2 for now from what I can tell.

14. RC Cola

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

16. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I hope these are the first steps in what will lead Valve to creating a real gravity gun.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

That is one unique controller.