1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Valuing the Toronto pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jul 6, 2012.

1. tzou88

tzou88 Member

If we re-examine the teams that will most likely make the playoffs:

Top 6:
    Miami - got even stronger.
    Boston - I'd consider them stronger than last year with the additions of Terry and Lee, and especially if Avery Bradley gets healthy.
    New York - especially if Melo somehow plays like the Olympics
    Brooklyn - much stronger than last season
    Indiana - more or less the same
    Philly - if trade goes through

Teams fighting for the bottom 2 spots:
    Toronto - improved with Lowry and Fields at the very least, even without considering the impact of Valanciunas and Ross.
    Atlanta - may or may not be worse than last year, losing Marvin Williams (who was pretty much a net zero) and Joe "make All-Star randomly" Johnson but getting Al Horford for the entire year obv. barring injuries. JSmoove's gonna have to do a lot.
    Milwaukee - they were fairly close last year, and they only had Monta Ellis for half the year.
    Washington - finally cleaned up their rosters and got some decent players, but probably still not enough to make too much noise

Big Maybies:
    Chicago - they were pretty competitive last season for stretches without DRose, but also lost a good amount bench depth.
    Detroit - Meh... not too high on Drummond.. at least they got rid of Ben Gordon's carcass.
    Cleveland - Kyrie Irving's still a baller, but not too much improved from last year, Waiters looks pretty meh.
    Orlando - everyone's counting them out and obviously Orlando would want to tank to get a decent pick. But how many games would a potential starting lineup of Nelson, Afflalo, Hedo, Al Harrington, Davis win? I don't think they'd be last with that lineup.

Bottom of the Barrel:
    Charlotte - I like MKG, but he won't make them much better than last year.

In conclusion, I love the Toronto pick. We could get some serious value out of it.

Morey strikes again.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

? .

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

Bulls will be fighting for the bottom two.

4. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls decide to take a year off, let Rose recuperate, and tank for a high pick to play alongside their superstar.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree that would be ideal -- the top 3 protection is only one year before it drops to top 2 protection, so even 2014 would be better. But is that likely? Toronto's expected core starting group is young... Lowry (26 years old), Ross (21), DeRozan (23), Bargnani (26) and Valanciunas (20). Will probably need some free agent losses or injuries as that core should improve with time together.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yeaah, Tibs is a JVG disciple, he isn't gonna be easily convinced to lose on purpose.

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

with the 14th pick the Rockets select...

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Totally agree with your top 6, but i have to strongly disagree with Chicago as a maybe. Noah, Boozer, Deng, and Gibson will get this team into the playoffs. They've also got a bunch of good veteran role-payers. Chi-town will be there.

An improved Cleveland, a healthy Horford and Smith in ATL, a Milwakee team that was on the playoff bubble last year, plus the field of teams who could surprise = Toronto probably has, at best, a 20% chance at making the playoffs in the East next year. Odds are that the Toronto pick is somewhere around the 8-10 range.

#88 Aruba77, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

FA losses will happen to them. They are in Toronto.

Edit: Nothing against the city, but it doesn't fit most NBA players or Americans that well. I think that is why they focus so much on international players.

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

What a clever and original post. Haven't seen that one before. And it never gets old:rolleyes:

So you think we will get the 14th pick with the Toronto pick? Otherwise your post is useless. This is a verry good thread so keep the useless posts to a minimum please.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Largely agree with this. I think it's very unlikely that Toronto jumps any of the top 6 without a major injury.

When you look at the next group, it becomes tricky to project. We all know Lowry, and have heard a lot about Valanciunas, but I think some of the other team's moves are underrated.

Atlanta was 17 games better than Toronto last year (projected out to a full season, that's 21 games). Marvin Williams wasn't a huge impact player, but I think Devin Harris is a better PG than they've had in the last 5 years. Joe Johnson will be a bit of blow, but he's largely been just a scorer in the last few years rather than a playmaker. Between Morrow, Korver, and Stevenson, I think they can replace his impact.

I wish Scola had gone to a team like Milwaukee or Detroit. I'm still curious to see what happens to Martin - especially if this Delfino thing is serious.

I think Clutch is right - if Toronto makes the playoffs next year, they probably fall off again at some point, but that will be years down the line.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I just have a hard time taking Toronto serious this season. Yes they have nice pieces but with rookies like Ross and Valinciunas expected to be major contributers I have a heard time seeing them as serious play-off challengers. I see teams like Washington, Cleveland and Detroit as much more serious contenders than the Raptors at this point.

Like Clutch, I do think that if the Raptors mature faster than expected and sneak into the play-offs then they may not revisit the lottery for some time.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I was curious about that as well. By just looking at rosters, I would think Atlanta woud be a team that could use KMart's services to help cement their spot in the play-offs and give them an outside shot at getting to the Eastern Conference Finals next season.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Had we not given them Lowry, there would be a lot less chance of them making the playoffs.

15. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

All the original posters who posted before think Toronto will be fighting for playoffs and will just make or just miss. Theyll be fighting for last spot with Chicago and Atlanta. So yeah 14 sounds reasonable.

What, are you one of those original unrealistic posters who think the Toronto pick will be a top 10? SMH.

If you think the recent acquisitions they made makes them same or worse then last year then I dont know what to say. Dont forget they still have Calderon to trade who they've been trying to trade for a few seasons now. So they will most likely add another piece who can make them better. Bargnani was injured half the season. Plus Ed Davis could improve.

But ultimately Chicago or Atlanta will beat them out simply because of experience. So yeah 14 sounds very original.

Once yet again ...... With the 14th pick the Rockets select ......

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bro, Toronto has gotten better, but the East has also gotten better. Keep in mind that the West is still the best, and with OKC, Spurs, LA, Denver, Minny, Dallas, Memphis, Utah, and Phoniex all serious playoff contenders, I highly doubt the Torono pick is #14. I say 10 at the worst. But i'd trade that pick right now for John Henson.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

...And we'd have a lot less interest in whether or not they made the playoffs.