1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VA Gov Northam blackface photo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 1, 2019.

1. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Maybe he likes beer o_O

dachuda86 likes this.
  2. conquistador#11

He needs to resign or interview for a job @Fox'news' but he can't and shouldn't remain governor.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Well if he was drunk then how could he remember?

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Saw his show. Never heard them say he was republican so it was brief. They did make this a big issue for Democrats. They had Charles Blow on saying Democrats can't be hypocrites and that Dems owe black people at a minimum to not be racist.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Democrats AND republicans owe ALL people at a minimum to not be racist.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

You should listen to what he said. It was a great segment.

Paraphrasing:

Republicans don't bother to want my vote. I don't expect them to act well towards me. They act the way they act to get the votes they want. Democrats get 90%+ of black votes. They have a debt to the black community that is a minimum price of not being racist. They shouldn't expect black people to absolve them of anything. He knew who he was he should own up to and should have been out front of it. Democrats who hide their racism shouldn't just say "oh look at this bill I supported it proves I changed" and expect absolution from me as a black man.

Nook likes this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

Never understood why some non African people like to dress up “like us” in order to mock “the way we act”. Why are our lives a source of entertainment for you?

8. Major

Major Member

B-Bob, Amiga, DonnyMost and 1 other person like this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Oh, I agree (and thanks, it is a very powerful quote and lesson for all Democrats). But I also believe this isn't a partisan lesson too (as much as some would like to make this example).

We have way too examples of thoughtlessness and intentional cruelty.

jcf likes this.
  10. Major

Major Member

Thanks for posting this. Ignoring today's new development, I think this article summed up perfectly my thoughts on the situation. It also reinforces my wariness about Kamala Harris, unfortunately. She used the Kavanaugh hears for selfish political reasons and she seems to be doing the same here again, IMO.

11. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I don't see blackface in and of itself racist and it could be because I can completely see why someone may find it funny to dress up and make a joke out of another race's tendencies- that is comedy. Whether it's blacks and their obsessive use of moisturizing lotion, asians and their obsession over rice, whites and their country music and seemingly obsession over meth (for real, every meth addict I've ever seen in pictures is white)

It's funny. I find that funny in a non hateful or malicious way.

Dave Chapelle is notorious for his 'white face'. His white face is hilarious. I can totally see why he chose to do white face, mocking the tendencies of the white.

An example of a good blackface was Robert Downey Jr's role in Tropic Thunder. It was epic. I loved his blackface, great comedy.

Luckily society will never set the standard of what I deem funny much like my In-Laws won't set the standard of what I find funny. Society and my In-laws can be as uptight as they want, idc. I'll continue to appreciate black face, white face, asian face and so on as long as its performed with the right comedy in mind...

What I do not condone is real hate laced racism. I will condemn anyone being hateful in a malicious way everytime.

Northam should resign. To have a photo of blackface standing next to a KKK member without offering any comedic backstory or a quote to put it into context is wellllll below the line, it is not well intentioned, and absolutely apprehensible.

#91 Realjad, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  12. Major

Major Member

Out of curiousity, how old were you in 1985? I was 9, so I really have no idea what it was like. I also never grew up on a farm in a town of 1000 people in the rural south. But just looking at what I've found since last night, things don't seem to be as clear cut as we try to make it.

As noted earlier, Ted Dansen in the early 1990's did it. UB40 had a music video with all the white people in blackface, and their black members in whiteface. They went on to a really successful band. Presumably, it was widely played on MTV and the like (why else make a music video back then?). It just seems a bit less clear cut about what the standards were then. As noted earlier, sexual assault was also horrific then, but this thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...e-reeeaaaal-rapey.295619/page-3#post-12165010

Demonstrates society's treatment of it was far more complex.

He may have been extremely dumb in 1985. Or, he may well have been a crazy racist back then. But that STILL doesn't affect who he is today or has been in recent history. I think we're all jumping to lots of conclusions here, and his insane claim today potentially makes things even more ridiculous.

Nook likes this.
  13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Must have been a real sincere apology

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I didn't really care much that my Governor took part in a tasteless Halloween costume in college 35 years ago.

What bothers me is that after getting nailed on this, and basically copping to it, Northam is trying to walk it back.

Yeah. No thanks. I can forgive poor judgment in youth. I cannot forgive deliberate lies as an adult.

Gtfo Ralph.

body slam, B-Bob, Amiga and 1 other person like this.
  15. amaru

amaru Member

https://nmaahc.si.edu/blog-post/blackface-birth-american-stereotype

This is why I, and many people of color, have such a visceral reaction to black face.

16. NewRoxFan

Agreed... much in the same way I get upset when people dehumanize Native Americans with mocking cartoon depictions as logos, or Asian Americans by pulling the corners off their eyes, or telling someone you will "jew" them down, etc. Because that is exactly what it is intended to do... tell someone else they are less than them, less human.

Nook and amaru like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Agree - to be fair, apparently a "source" says that he said it - he hasn't said it publicly, it seems. But assuming we go that route, it's a far bigger issue to me than the original pic. Because it puts his competence and integrity today into question. Why lie? Or if we be super-accepting and say he really forgot, why admit to something you didn't do? Maybe there's a logical path out, but I can't come up with a single valid explanation.

18. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Yeah, this is a real problem. The initial issue could possibly be navigated. But this is the coverup and once that is disclosed, that is really hard to recover from.

19. NewRoxFan

bongino couldn't simply request a copy of the yearbook to confirm. Yea, I think the tweeter is correct...

20. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I still don't understand why. I'm not white. I live in 2019 and more than 95% on my block growing up surely don't even know what this is nor has it ever affected them in blackface. I estimate 95% - 100% on my block were never outraged over blackface until the media told them to be outraged.. as long as the intention was not to be racist and hurt, but instead intended to provoke a bonding laugh.

Colored face performance, no matter the color portrayed in which no malice or racial hatred is intended can indeed be entertaining. I've seen it, I've laughed. I laughed when Robert Downey Jr did blackface in Tropic Thunder, I laughed when Chappelle did whiteface on his show. Apparently I have the right group of friends as they don't take stupid things too seriously and they laugh too! I've seen some quality stuff. That's my opinion. If someone wants to get their proverbial 'panties in a twist' and be too uptight to recognize funny then thats their own problem. It's 2019, it's not hitting any nerves unless you want it to.

I feel the late and great Patrice ONeil said it well here, in a comparable context considering women have definitely been victimized in the past too. He provides good insight on my stance. Before outrage ensues, ask yourself "Do you think they were trying to be funny?", or are they trying to be malicious and hurt? Are they trying to insult? or, are they trying to be funny and provoke a laugh from everyone?

#100 Realjad, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    robbie380 likes this.