1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VA Gov Northam blackface photo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 1, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

He should step down.

edwardc likes this.
  2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Why should he step down? He was a dumb kid. So what?

3. NewRoxFan

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

eh that is a bit more disturbing.

Harrisment likes this.
  5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That would certainly be in line with the current trend, but elected officials should always consult with their staff, pollsters and jurisdictional party caucus to find out how to best serve their constituents' electoral mandate and interests.

Do we need to some standing Johannesburg or Kigali-style Truth and Reconciliation commission for all the inevitable pre-Twitter, college-aged and/or private party racism? Cuz this well ain't getting plugged anytime soon.

Nook likes this.
  6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm honestly starting to loose track. The previous most recent blackface debacle was in Florida, right?

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

He was 25 when this was published in med school yearbook. No idea when photo was taken.

Also isnt the bigger issue here the quote which clearly shows he liked beer? Isnt the new rule that this would disqualify you for everything? Personally for me the worst part is the smirk on his face. Smirking mother ****er.

Here's a guide for carl Herrera:

#7 tallanvor, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Cohete Rojo and MojoMan like this.
  8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is the same guy who is cool with killing live babies if the abortion didn’t work. He’s a real peach.

9. NewRoxFan

No surprise you'd be leveraging this to score some other "whataboutism"...

Harrisment, JeffB and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  10. NewRoxFan

11. Major

Major Member

I think we have to be careful here. This was 35 years ago, and saying he should step down suggests either (1) we believe people can never change or (2) people can never make mistakes (edit: or do bad things) and serve in public office ever in the future. I think everything has to be looked at in context - I know nothing about this guy so I can't comment on him specifically, but you have to look if there's any indication that who he is today is connected to what he did in 1984. A lot of people - Dems and GOPers - probably did stupid things long ago and believed things long ago. Views evolve over time, people evolve over time - to deny that is silly. Similarly, Trump's actions in 1980's and 1990's would be less relevant if they didn't match the Trump of more recent years. He may or may not need to go, but it would be based on what else we might learn about him.

There was a Florida guy who did something similar and resigned - but it was post-Katrina and he was already a public official at the time.

#11 Major, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  12. TheresTheDagger

I'm with Major here. I think we in this time have a big problem of judging things from decades ago based on today's standards. We all have a past. We've all done stupid, thoughtless things. Hopefully, we learn and grow from them.

The lynch squad mentality has got to stop.

biff17 and B-Bob like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

That was almost 35 years ago.

Is that the governor in black face or the klan costume?

Does anyone know?

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, I mean, clearly there has to be a line somewhere. Which brings up lots of questions. Where is that line? How long ago is relevant? Etc.

It sounds like you're saying blackface doesn't cross that line in your book, or at least not from 3+ decades ago.

Personally, I find it abhorrent, and even recognizing that he might be a different person today, I think it does cross the line.

My only question is ... is that his page? Is he in black face or KKK gear? Or is it friends of his and he provided the picture? Or is his page randomly just next to some other page?

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

What's worse to you?

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I grew up in the 80s and I admit I did at one time found blackface funny like I found curse words and poop jokes funny. Blackface is horrible, and I'd learn more to forgiveness if the offender properly communicates it.

Things do change, though I still like curse words and poop jokes.

No Worries and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What is his response? Apology?

18. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

no, he shouldn't.

Different times back then and his track record as a public servant should be acknowledged and take in consideration

19. NewRoxFan

I am 60 years old, and when I was 25 years old I would have believed that black face or KKK costumes were offensive. I am pretty sure I would have known the same when I was 15. Don't have much sympathy for "gee, it was 35 years ago" or "gee, he was 25 years old".

Now... if he isn't in either the pictures, I will be happy to apologize and say I jumped the gun and was wrong. But appearing in blackface, or in a KKK costume is offensive and wrong.

SamFisher likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan