1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

V-Span: Inspiring a Generation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jan 29, 2021.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"You said Spanoulis. Is that the guy from Ridgemont High."

3. conquistador#11

I'm Tmac back in my country!

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I always wondered if JVG was the wrong coach for him. Had Carlisle, for example, been his HC might his NBA career have been very different?

D-rock, Amel, ElDobleK and 7 others like this.
  5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Who was our coach at the time. I think if we had someone laid back like Dantoni we could have let Spanoulis relax for a year or two as he got his feet under him. Or perhaps given his dominant personality which did lead to his success that this was not a reasonable hope.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ah a quality post and article.....

JVG ruined him as an asset for the Rockets - should have played him more, we weren't going anywhere - might as well have played him to find out what he had......needed time to play through his mistakes.

DD

#7 DaDakota, Jan 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

If Van Gundy knew he was talking to a future brother in baldness, he would have treated him better.

Deckard, D-rock, txtodd and 4 others like this.
  9. DaneB

DaneB Member

Can somebody please post the article?

xiki likes this.
  10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

some baldie destined to broadcast games while filling in for working coaches doing world/Oly qualifiers.

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Gregg Popovich tried to get him to stay here and let him coach him. Vassilis has this idea that he was the best player ever and he wanted to be featured as a star.

Anyone have that picture of him bagging groceries for the NBA Cares program lol, dude probably told PR, "you want me to do what???"

D-rock, saleem and DaDakota like this.
  13. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Proof was in the hot dog the whole time

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Maybe Giannis took his three point shooting advice from Vspan.

Just like old times, you have no idea what you're talking about.

He sucked ass, could not shoot, was too slow and bad for NBA level-players. His one great success was dumbass Paul Pierce fouling him on 3 point shots at the Worlds that year.

That team that wasn't "going anywhere" won 52 games, had the 5th best net rating in the NBA, HCA in the 1st playoffs in what was basically the last years of Yao & Tmac's brief prime (where tehy got embarrassed by Boozer & Okur, but whatever)

And btw, he didn't get "ruined as an asset" - we flipped him for a vastly superior player, Luis Scola.

He wasn't good enough at shooting, ballhandling or defense to play in the NBA, so he went to Europe where teenage kids who watched the greek leagues thought he was great! Good for him! Jeremy Lin is a beast in china too! But also he was a successful NBA player, something that Spanoulis never was and was never willing to even try to be.

King1, D-rock, apollo33 and 11 others like this.
  15. DaDakota

OOOH, I do love me some Scola - and you know I wanted JVG to give VSpan some burn because that team wasn't winning a chip.

It's ok, we disagree on VSpan, and yes I know you hated him...lol.

DD

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t get people like you. You already decide we don’t have a championship team so even though we are a top seeded team winning 50+ (A lot back then) we should play young guys because “we aren’t going anywhere?” Like how do you know if you never try? You’re an older guy, I’m surprised to hear this from you. Young people now give up easily. They don’t have any face cards so they fold, even with a pocket pair. Why have a league? Why not just appoint the two best teams and start the finals?

nobody seems to be willing to fight. They want it gifted. It is ruining sports.

crimsonghost and D-rock like this.
  17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I remember Van Grumpy who looked like he was constipated with hemorrhoids when we won, but had had a bad quarter-- of course even worse when we lost. Much better as an announcer and probably prolonged his life by not returning to coaching..

palmsnbananas and jiggyfly like this.
  18. DaDakota

My point was a team with RAFER ALSTON running the PG position was NEVER going to win anything, and why not TRY VSpan in a hope that he might elevate that position once he got comfortable.

He may not, but why not try?

JVG loved Rafer who was a journeyman at best.....in the end we got Scola - who is one of my favorite Rockets of all time, so ok with that.

DD

Jontro and saleem like this.
  19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...because he was trying to win games with HOF players and not gratify random BBS posters? Real world people dont respond to online people about things like that, unless you're trying to overthrow the government in a bloody rebellion or buy a bunch of stocks that hedge funds are shortting.

20. DaDakota

You know we are aligned on all of that.

I am not going to clutter up the board with more VSpan stuff, that is buried - and irrelevant now.

I like the makeup of this team - going to enjoy the growth, and I am 100% behind the Redditors and the DOJ getting all of those traitors and imprisoning them especially those who incited the danged thing to begin with.

I just found it funny the irony of a VSpan post, and had to post in it for old times sake.

Peace!

DD

crimsonghost likes this.