1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uverse vs. Comcast in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A_3PO, Sep 21, 2008.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Forgive me for starting another thread on the subject. We have Comcast's Triple Play. Our cable and internet from Comcast are both fine, but the telephone service stinks. The voice quality is poor and inconsistent. A couple of our neighbors have switched from Comcast to Uverse and say I should also.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of making a change? All I want is basic cable, high-speed internet and good, reliable phone service. HD isn't a decisive factor right now. I also couldn't care less about "premium" cable channels and actually DO NOT want them. I have 3 or 4 rooms with a TV. I read something a while back that Uverse had problems with video quality.

Question: How does Uverse's DVR service work with Windows Media Center on a PC?

2. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Former Comcast customer before I moved into my new house and went with Uverse.

I think Comcast's picture quality is better than Uverse, but the difference really isn't that significant IMO. Price was kind of a wash for my situation. You can't connect the DVR directly to a PC (although neither can you with Comcast), but I have no problems hooking up mine with an S-Video cable for viewing/recording purposes.

Where Uverse blows Comcast out of the water is content. They just have way more content than Comcast does. Especially if you love sports.

One more thing: don't bother getting voice service with either Comcast or Uverse. Get Vonage instead. It is significantly cheaper AND better than anything they have to offer.

3. AGBee

AGBee Member

I'm with Comcast right now but going to give Uverse a shot since they have $250 in rebates available after 1 month of service. With no contracts, not much to lose.

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

How high is there internet speed? Is there a cap? Do they have on Demand?

5. sook

sook Rookie

comcast = worst customer server ever

We sent our bill, apparently they didn't receive it, without warning they cancel everything in our house, just ludicrous.

6. sook

sook Rookie

fixed.

7. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

The one thing that is good about comcast is that a lot of stuff is free like HDTV and the 3 basic cable that comes with the digital cable.

U-Verse and all the others you have to pay extra for HD(although you do get more channels) and you need to pay extra for more rooms.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Actually what I was looking for is comments on Uverse's video quality, internet speeds/reliability and phone service in comparison to Comcast. Forget price and how much free stuff you get.

9. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

We have Comcast and I am considering changing also. I did resist changing my phone to comcast, and it paid off big time during the Ike power outages. I just got my power, cable and internet back today - but I had my land line the whole time. Which was a good thing, since my TMobile cell service was out for 3 days. Just a point to think about when it comes to switching phone services.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Comcast HD TV is not free. I pay $10.00 a month for it, and another $13.00 a month for the HDTV receiver/recorder thing.

They also just raised internet rates, so I' now paying $165.00 a month for HDTV, sports package two boxes, internet and one HDTV DVR, and my only extra is Howard TV. Bull ****. :rolleyes:

If it weren't for their updated fast upload/download speeds for torrenting I would be switching to U-Verse in a heartbeat. My parents pay $30.00 less than me and they get the whole sports package plus all HBO's, Starz, Showtime's, etc. and they even upgraded their internet speed package.

They do not have HD, so I have no idea what it looks like compared to Comcast.

#10 LonghornFan, Sep 21, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  11. AGBee

AGBee Member

Comcast HD isn't free...

12. AGBee

AGBee Member

Signed up for the service on Monday under their current promotion ($250 cash back in rebates after 1 month of a TV (U200 or higher) and internet package, and free installation). Had it installed yesterday. The AT&T guy took about an hour. I had a simple install with only 1 TV plus internet. I got the U200 TV package + HD with 6.0 Mbps internet service.

The HD video quality looks about the same as Comcast on my 58" 1080p plasma (I did some switching back and forth and couldn't see much difference). The standard channels look much better (especially the ones that came in as analog only on Comcast). I'm getting a lot more channels than I was with Comcast (especially HD). DVR functionality is standard (I didn't have one with Comcast to cut down on costs). I'm getting about 5.8 Mbps on my torrent download speeds. No monthly fee for the modem, which also acts as a wireless router. My monthly bill is about $8 less now, so I'm pretty happy so far. I've returned all my equipment to Comcast and canceled their service.

I don't have voice service so I can't comment on that.

13. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

U-Verse Total Home DVR became available last night to the Houston area. I haven't had time to check it out yet.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: Total Home DVR? No way. Let me restart my main receiver.

AGBee, if you don't mind, can you email me through the board? :eek:

We can work out a referral process. I have had U-Verse and would like to 'refer' you to get $$, and you can get a piece back.

15. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I have 3 rooms with a box and don't pay more. They are not HD though, if that matters.

16. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I have u verse and would like to get some back.

17. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

When it restarts, if you notice the AT&T logo in a black background, you will know your system was updated.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

eMail me through the board, and I will find out how much we can split. I have a referral number I can provide. :eek: Once you are set up in the referral web site, you can also get cash from other peeps' referrals.

I am restarting it now, though, Ill-Skillz, to see if that happens. Is the BLUE AT&T U-Verse splash screen a good sign, or no? :confuse:

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

don't tell that to the sales rep i spoke with this morning who told me it's still not available in houston and likely won't be for another month.

20. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

I saw it with my own eyes this morning. As I said, I didn't check it out to make sure it's fully functional, but on the program menu for non dVR boxes "Browse Recordings" is now an option.

I got this pic off the net. This is what you will see.

[​IMG]

#20 Pistol Pete, Sep 26, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2008