1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT vs. Michigan - Rose Bowl

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Da Man, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.dallasnews.com/

UT hooks Rose Bowl berth; Aggies coming to Dallas

Big 12 teams can start making postseason travel plans.

Texas will face Michigan in the Rose Bowl on Jan. 1, 2005, according to UT officials.

Texas A&M is headed to the SBC Cotton Bowl as the Big 12 representative, according to a college source. Cotton Bowl president Rick Baker confirmed earlier today that SEC East champion Tennessee will also play in the New Year's Day game.

A source close to the Texas Tech athletic department said the Red Raiders are going to the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl to face a Pac-10 opponent that will be determined later today.

The BCS selection show is at 4 p.m. today on Ch. 8.

#1 Da Man, Dec 5, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

not bad for the Red Raiders.

3. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Before UT got a BCS bowl, it was assumed CU was going to the Champs bowl in Orlando. Now, possibly the Independence. Who knows?

4. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/releases/2004_05/006/120504_30.html

Texas to face Michigan in 91st Rose Bowl Game, presented by Citi

The Texas Longhorns will make their first BCS bowl appearance at the 91st Rose Bowl Game, presented by Citi, on January 1, 2005, in Pasadena, Calif., at 4 p.m. CT. The Longhorns finished fourth in the BCS standings and will face the Michigan Wolverines, the Big Ten Champions. The Rose Bowl Game will be broadcast nationally on ABC and ESPN Radio and will mark Texas' first-ever appearance in the game.

Texas previously played in the Fiesta Bowl as the Big 12 Champion representative in the Bowl Alliance, the predecessor to the BCS, following the 1996 season. UT enters the contest riding a six-game winning streak and having posted 10 wins in four straight seasons for the first time in school history. UT is looking to tie its school record with 11 victories for the third time in four years. The Longhorns have posted nine (or more) victories in a school-best seven straight seasons. UT's 42-8 record the past four seasons is the fourth-most victories nationally during that span.

With its invitation to the Rose Bowl, Texas is headed to its seventh straight bowl game. That marks the Horns' longest streak since they went to nine straight bowls from 1977-85. It also is just the third time in Longhorn history they have earned spots in at least seven consecutive bowl games. Texas also earned berths in eight bowls in a row from 1968-75. This year's bid marks UT's 10th in the last 11 years and the 44th bowl bid overall (No. 3 on the NCAA all-time chart/first among Big 12 schools). Head coach Mack Brown has led his teams to a bowl game in each of his last 13 seasons. That's the second-longest active streak in the nation.

Texas enters the Rose Bowl having won two of its last three bowl games and has a 3-3 record in bowl contests under Mack Brown. He is the first Longhorn coach since Darrell Royal, who was 8-7-1 in bowl games, to post a .500 or better record in postseason contests. The back-to-back bowl victories in 2001-02 marked the first time the 'Horns had won consecutive bowl games since 1968-69. Texas won five straight bowl contests from 1963-69.

Texas Longhorns football fans can currently request bowl tickets. The deadline for priority handling of bowl game tickets will be 4 pm on Friday, December 10.

Priorities for filling bowl game tickets orders are as follows: UT students, Longhorn Foundation members, "T" Association members, UT voting faculty, Texas Exes members, and general public.

Tickets may be ordered online at TexasBoxOffice.com. Current UT Athletics customers wishing to receive priority handling of their ticket order must login to the online account using their customer number or email address and password or PIN. Credit cards only (Mastercard, VISA, American Express, Discover) will be accepted online.

Please visit TexasBoxOffice.com to place your ticket order. You may also call the UT Athletics Ticket Office at 512/471-3333 or 800/982-BEVO if you have any questions or to place your bowl ticket order. The Athletics Ticket Office is open weekdays from 9 am to 4 pm CST.

5. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

As much as I like the Horns

CAL GOT ROBBED!
    :mad: :mad:

No offense to the Red Raiders but this totally bites that the #4 team in the nation consolation prize is playing the #24 team on bowl game that's not even on New Years Day.

WTF?!

I have a few choice words for the BCS and the rest of the bowls which if I did would probably get me booted so I'm going to hold my tongue for now.
    :mad:

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

more importantly: who cares? She was a lousy kicker anyway.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WOW !!

I can't believe that Cal got jobbed, a bit of a makeup call for last year I'll bet.

DD

8. drapg

drapg Member

I just reserved two tickets for $125 a pop.

I gave my credit card number and they've already placed a "dummy charge" on it.

Here's hoping I get the tickets!!!!!

9. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

What airline are you flying? I looked at SW and tickets were $270 a piece... not horrible but not what I was hoping for. I was thinking of flying out on the 29th and returning on the 2nd.

10. Tyree

Tyree Member

ive requested tickets but who knows how they are going to divide them up...getting there is a problem also

11. drapg

drapg Member

Honestly, I have no idea. I haven't even looked at airlines yet. I was too stoked about trying to get tickets, that I just realized I needed to start checking out flight schedules and hotels, which I'm doing online right now.

12. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

You guys are lucky. Your college is playing in a BCS game. I dream of the day Baylor makes to any bowl...

13. drapg

drapg Member

According to the web site:

" Priorities for filling bowl game tickets orders are as follows: UT students, Longhorn Foundation members, "T" Association members, UT voting faculty, Texas Exes members, and general public. "

14. Tyree

Tyree Member

wonder how many we can ask for....i have orders of 4 but dont think they will honor those?

15. drapg

drapg Member

According to the web site its a max of 2 per person.

However, if you do it throught the Rose Bowl and not UT, its a maximum of two per call and four overall per person.

16. drapg

drapg Member

I'm finding good deals on America West Airlines.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, I'm gonna be out of the country for the Rose Bowl.

Should I turn UT's good fortune into a profitable venture for myself?

18. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I am a big UT fan just like many are......

..but I sure as heck will not spend hundreds of bucks to go to a big consolation game.

now, the national championship game has the ability to unfold my wallet if UT ever gets there (as long as a split national champion isn't a possibility)

19. surrender

surrender Member

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Glad we got the cotton bowl, much shorter trip to make.

Glad to hear TU will represent TX in a BCS game.