1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Major

Major Member

Not sure even more seating is what they need, when Tulsa tickets were going for $6 and tickets against a ranked TCU are going for $40...

2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Doesn't look like it adds that many more seats. It's all forward-looking anyway.

3. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Where's Steve Patterson when you need him?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swiss Roll, Uprising and SWTsig like this.
  4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Given this quote from the article, I'd be surprised if it increased the seating capacity by much, if at all.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

It won’t. While they are adding more club suites, the renovation isn’t expecting to add more capacity.

6. Major

Major Member

"Impactful in-seat Longhorn logo"? This is the kind of crap that bothers me and makes me wonder what the hell the athletic department is thinking. I don't think anyone cares if they are sitting on a UT Logo. People will come and have a great time if you put an entertaining/quality product on the field. They won't if you don't. I'd rather they stop spending money on nonsense like this and just lower ticket prices so they could fill the stadium and create a better atmosphere that way instead of restricting ticket re-sales and forcing people into 3rd party markets and leaving tons of empty seats.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Believe they mean the Longhorn shaped balcony carved into the seating bowl. DKR expansion was inevitable so really the two choices were something like this or fully enclosing it with additional seating which I agree wouldn't have been a good idea. Is any of this other stuff necessary? Of course not but neither are water slides, nap rooms and barber shops. If CDC thinks it will enhance game day, then I’m all in. Haven’t checked it it out myself yet but apparently the few things he's implemented thus far have had a nice impact so far.

As far as lowering ticket prices, like you said, you can buy them for $6 and the stadium still isn't filled so not sure price is the main issue here. Win and people will come.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Ingram should play this weekend. Hudson is still out and will meet with doctors next week. That dude has had a lot of bad luck.

9. Major

Major Member

I will say the Bevo Boulevard outside the stadium seems like a cool addition. I only went through a bunch of congestion, but I think it has a lot of potential.

The problem here is the resale policy. If they allowed resales, it would be fine - but for season ticket holders, they don't (at least not through official channels like Stubhub - they partner directly with Stubhub and say they will cancel your season tickets). So if people can't go, they end up with their most loyal fans either having to sell them under the table (going through Craigslist to sell $6 tickets is not worth the effort) or tossing them, which means other people can't go and you have lots of empty seats. They need to make their ticket prices better match demand, or they need to scrap the Patterson resale policy that everyone hates and was born out of pure greed.

As it stands, season tickets are a money-losing proposition because the tickets go below face value elsewhere and you can't sell extra tickets you can't use (unless you pay even more to add the right to sell them).

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Yeah they are definitely talking about the Longhorn shape in the seating area, seen a little better in this earlier rendering.

[​IMG]
    I actually think that's something pretty unique, and it also sneakily limits the seating capacity.

weakfromtoday and Major like this.
  11. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dicker the Kicker. C’mon man.

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Ingram reminds me of Jamal Charles.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The playcalling has let the Longhorns down a bit.

14. slamdunk179

slamdunk179 Member

Agreed. Tried getting fancy on the fourth down conversion and flipped the field, which lead to the TCU TD.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That was an obvious push off by the TCU WR.

16. BMoney

Big interception there. TCU had a lot of momentum to start the half.

17. BMoney

They have to start passing on first down. They are setting themselves up for pressure.

18. BMoney

Dude needs to learn to throw the ball away. Jesus.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I will never understand how so many QB's who clearly have time to get rid of the ball willingly take a loss.

20. BMoney

That's not DPI?!